Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > Gunsmithing
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old June 30th, 2020, 07:23 AM #21
American Patriot

American Patriot

Amen to the cartridge trigger. It is as tempting as the Original Apple and leads us down the path of poverty.

"A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to the United States of America for an amount of up to and including my life. That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it."
(credit to a USAF pilot)

For those who gave all.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUZHTE1jMXg

Proud Patriot Picket
John from MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2020, 08:37 AM #22
For great Justice

For great Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by outrider58 View Post
Pardon my ignorance(or don't), is a buffer tube and spring still needed for one of those builds?
no, at least on the CMMG/RTB bolts the recoil spring rides in the charging handle channel in the upper, the rear end of it has a tab that sits against the upper face of the buffer tube tang, that is basically what takes the recoil force, and holds it in place, can eave the buffer/tube/spring/retainer out if you wish. Can also run things like the pic rail adapter to use a Sig style folder being you don't even need a tube on dedicated 22s. The gap is also something to keep an eye on if the bolt assembly is loose in the upper or if it won't close all the way.
Attached Images

"Unfortunately, freedom allows sh*theads to get away with stuff. You always know the mark of a coward. A coward hides behind freedom. A brave person stands in front of freedom and defends it for others."
-Henry Rollins
alucard0822 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2020, 08:41 AM #23
Goggle it Einstein

Goggle it Einstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by alucard0822 View Post
no, at least on the CMMG/RTB bolts the recoil spring rides in the charging handle channel in the upper, the rear end of it has a tab that sits against the upper face of the buffer tube tang, that is basically what takes the recoil force, and holds it in place, can eave the buffer/tube/spring/retainer out if you wish. Can also run things like the pic rail adapter to use a Sig style folder being you don't even need a tube on dedicated 22s. The gap is also something to keep an eye on if the bolt assembly is loose in the upper or if it won't close all the way.
Thanks for the reply. That's exactly what I had in mind.
Old June 30th, 2020, 09:19 AM #24
Sic Semper Tyrannis

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Quote:
Originally Posted by alucard0822 View Post
Thats sweet, being there are effectively 0 standards for AR piston systems and they are really hit or miss, I've always done my best to work with the DI gas system. IMO the only real potential benefits of a piston AR is running suppressed, depending on where and how the gas is vented from the piston, it can be pretty pleasant and run well suppressed or open, or give a lot of bark and blast under the handguard. Have been eyeballing the PWS mk1mod2 setups, but not sure how much better it would be with tuned gas dumping under the rail vs out the ejection port and in the receiver.
I did a fair bit of internet research about piston uppers and have shot a few over the years before deciding to go this route. Adams Arms seems to have a good reputation. They designed their uppers to run suppressed so I'm hopeful. I ran that suppressor on my carbine for years and always had huge amounts of gas blowback. Having an extra six inches hanging off the carbine barrel makes it unwieldy too. I intend to get to the range this week and run this build through its paces. As long as my wife doesn't realize that this a new gun I should be able to enjoy it!

US Army/MDARNG Retired 1993-2014
MSI Sustaining Member
EODJoe is online now   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Gunsmithing