• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    The turnover in grocery stores is very high. Workers burn out and quit. Most of them are hiring all the time these days.

True. There is one store in town that pays higher than the rest, VERY dedicated to their employees, and hard as hell to get a job there from what I hear. It's a local chain, only in TX. My son is about to turn 16. He's doing virtual schooling to start the year which is only 8am-12pm so he's looking to get a p/t job.

I've long been torn between the concept of enjoying childhood while you don't HAVE to work, versus learning responsibility and preparing for the real world as an adult.

Beancounter

Jul 8, 2012
    Job or Work

Unlike other posts here looking for people, I'm trying to help our 18 year old daughter find a part time job. She will be starting college this fall, but because of the virus, her classes are online and she'll be staying home instead of living on campus. She has been looking for a part time job to make some money while taking classes, but all her applications to retail jobs like Target, Aldi, and others were rejected. I think it's because she had not worked retail before, and her internship experience in a research lab last summer at Cornell make these companies think she's not a good fit.

If anyone know of a part time job in northern VA that an 18 year old can do, we would appreciate leads. She has a resume available for review.

thanks.

Does said child have access to a lawn mower? A rake? Bucket, sponge and a water hose? Some people will pay crazy money for yard work and car washes (at home). A hard worker would easily make $20 per hour. Beats the hell out of minimum wage at a store.

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    What is she majoring in, what does she want to do with it? I assume science stuff.

I had a similar career path and worked in a veterinary clinic through high school and college as a lab technician. That paid well and looked great on a resume if she want to get into the sciences.

TruGroove62

May 3, 2020
    Try the City of Alexandria; RPCA - Recreation, parks and cultural activities. They pay ok rates to young people and generally hire year round. Hope this helps.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    With all the businesses that have laid off people due to Rona I would imagine the places that are hiring have a ton of applications and can pick and choose.

I hired an assistant project manager about 3 weeks ago. I received 330 resumes in 4 days and interviewed 30 people. There are a lot of folks out of work right now.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Be a bit more modest and dumb the resume or application down a bit. Research lab at Cornell is a giveaway she's temp at best so why train her?

That can be a good strategy sometimes. I had a guy with a college degree apply for $15/hr job. He only listed jobs which were low paying jobs on his app. When I interviewed him I could tell something was a miss. He gave me his full resume. When I asked him why he didn’t send me his full resume the first time his reply was “because I was applying to a $15/hr job”.

I hired him for a different position and now he’s been with me for over a year and kicking ass and making more money.

So yes if I was just trying to get a part time job for close to minimum wage, I would try to construct my resume to show I was punctual, trustworthy, didn’t have any life commitments that might make it difficult to employ me and most importantly I wasn’t going to think I was smarter than the idiot likely to be my boss!

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    That can be a good strategy sometimes. I had a guy with a college degree apply for $15/hr job. He only listed jobs which were low paying jobs on his app. When I interviewed him I could tell something was a miss. He gave me his full resume. When I asked him why he didn’t send me his full resume the first time his reply was “because I was applying to a $15/hr job”.

I hired him for a different position and now he’s been with me for over a year and kicking ass and making more money.

So yes if I was just trying to get a part time job for close to minimum wage, I would try to construct my resume to show I was punctual, trustworthy, didn’t have any life commitments that might make it difficult to employ me and most importantly I wasn’t going to think I was smarter than the idiot likely to be my boss!

At least you're honest with yourself :lol:

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    Consider looking around at opportunities to be a "teaching nanny" if she has flexibility in her own class schedule.
    There are TONS of families that are struggling right now to figure out how they are going to handle virtual school for their children and still work themselves.

THIS IS GREAT ADVICE!!! I'd set my rate at $30 an hour PER pupil. I am working at a school where one of the girls is quitting to run her own tutoring
    gig because demand is SO HIGH!! Your daughter could have 3 or 4 pupils at once - the possibilities today are endless.

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Trust me I run the joint and most times I think I’m the biggest idiot in the company.

If you're the smartest person in the room, it's time to find another room

Well, that's good.Why on Earth would you hire people dumbr than you are???
    :D

You'd be amazed by the number of people who feel threatened by smarter subordinates. Even though they're the ones signing the paychecks.

JamesDong

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2020
    Duffield, Va
    If you're the smartest person in the room, it's time to find another room

You'd be amazed by the number of people who feel threatened by smarter subordinates. Even though they're the ones signing the paychecks.

Actually I LIKED having smarter people around me. Assign them the tougher thinking jobs that I hated to do. Made me look good and all I needed to do was stroke their egos every now and again.

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Actually I LIKED having smarter people around me. Assign them the tougher thinking jobs that I hated to do. Made me look good and all I needed to do was stroke their egos every now and again.

This. A clever boss hires the smartest people they can find, then runs interference for them so they can get the job done.

Skipjacks

Ultimate Member
    Look into childcare. Parents going back to work and schools closed. The demand for childcare is huge right now. Even part-time.

This.

Especially if she is smart enough to be able to assist kids with their silly online virtual learning.

Lots of parents, especially upper middle class parents, are willing to pay out the nose right now for someone who can sit with their kids and help them with their virtual schooling all day.

And we're talking kindergarten through 5th grade here. So not exactly challenging material. Help kids with shapes and colors and some basic math. Make them lunch. Don't let them die. Simple tasks so parents can work.

wabbit

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2010
    Thanks everyone with the suggestions. I'll give them to her and let her make up her mind. She's now old enough to make decisions and take responsibility for herself. I like the idea of the virtual child care, but how does one go about finding these jobs? I don't think there are agencies that hire or outsource this kind of work. Also, I'll ask her to dumb down the resume and applications to retail places, but polish it for places like hospitals. I never thought of this before.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    Costco is hiring for warehouses and depots. The hours may be overnight for a depot job but warehouse won’t start until 4 am. That’s the earliest. Could also be different hours depends on your location and where she’s applying if she does

My son got hired as a seasonal when the restaurant he worked at shut down during Covid. He liked it so much he stayed and got hired as an employee. Now he goes to school online and works 5-6 days a week. Picks up the occasional shift at the restaurant when they need him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom