• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I know the CDL operators get random, I was just poking fun at him. Art always has good posts/info on here.

Gotta have some fun around here...

:thumbsup: I was a little worried you might be one of those angry/uninformed taxpayers who believe HCPS Facilities workers get paid $60k to cut grass, $100K to trim trees, and have dump trucks just to drive to WAWA :rolleye12

(for the record, it's the same crew that cuts grass and trees. Starting salary is $30k or $35k depending on the position, stepping out at a little under $50k. The dump trucks go to Rofo as well :innocent0)

We used to have a guy who came from SHA (took a little pay cut because he didn't like being inches away from speeding traffic all day...I don't blame him). I'd love to ask his insight into the position posted in the OP...but he moved on to a higher paying job years ago :o

I do really wish that everyone accepting tax money (whether earned or given) would be subject to drug testing...but I ain't holding my breath for that!

28Shooter

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2010
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Those back-to-back snowstorms make that job fun and let's not forget Christmas Eve-into-Christmas Day ice and snowstorms. Nothing but respect for those guys.

Jed195

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2011
    MD.
    :thumbsup: I was a little worried you might be one of those angry/uninformed taxpayers who believe HCPS Facilities workers get paid $60k to cut grass, $100K to trim trees, and have dump trucks just to drive to WAWA :rolleye12

(for the record, it's the same crew that cuts grass and trees. Starting salary is $30k or $35k depending on the position, stepping out at a little under $50k. The dump trucks go to Rofo as well :innocent0)

We used to have a guy who came from SHA (took a little pay cut because he didn't like being inches away from speeding traffic all day...I don't blame him). I'd love to ask his insight into the position posted in the OP...but he moved on to a higher paying job years ago :o

I do really wish that everyone accepting tax money (whether earned or given) would be subject to drug testing...but I ain't holding my breath for that!

Would HCPS be hiring for what you described...grounds crew I guess?

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County

We have a bunch of vacancies throughout Facilities Maintenance (including 2 in my Roofing Dept), however none seem to be posted. :tap: We had been on a hiring freeze, but that should have ended July 1.

I honestly don't know what is going on. Your best bet would be to periodically check www.hcps.org, click on the blue "Current Job Openings" in about the middle of the page under "Human Resources," then the "Support Staff-Other" tab.

I'm not sure if there are any current openings in grounds, but that dept does have a pretty high turnover (for the get CDL and skate issue as previously discussed). If I discover anything, I'll bump this thread.

ETA: I just noticed that our website is getting updated tomorrow...so who knows where the job postings would be...if they get posted :rolleye12

MindTheGAP

Jan 4, 2018
    Maryland
    But..but..but..it’s only “medical” marijuana!

The idea that anyone should give a shit if you smoke pot off the job in 2019 is hilariously outdated and telling of the person with said opinion. Especially given the ridiculous amount of data showing the difference in lasting effect + damage to the body / mind as compared with, oh, say...alcohol. Frankly, I had a team of people under me when I worked in the staffing business and couldn't have cared less if you gave me a raise to whether any of them smoked pot or not (they all did, and all performed well consistently.)

Now, the girl who went to her car to do cocaine on her lunch break...that was a hard fire because man could she light up some phones after a nice key bump.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    The idea that anyone should give a shit if you smoke pot off the job in 2019 is hilariously outdated and telling of the person with said opinion. Especially given the ridiculous amount of data showing the difference in lasting effect + damage to the body / mind as compared with, oh, say...alcohol. Frankly, I had a team of people under me when I worked in the staffing business and couldn't have cared less if you gave me a raise to whether any of them smoked pot or not (they all did, and all performed well consistently.)

Now, the girl who went to her car to do cocaine on her lunch break...that was a hard fire because man could she light up some phones after a nice key bump.

That is a cute sentiment... But not realistic... When one considers that anyone who disregards laws when they believe themselves to be above them... is not going to GAF about company rules either. As a manager of personnel... those attitudes should give pause. Because the violators will eventually cause problems where ever they work. When laws mean nothing... Rules mean even less.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County

Several gounds positions posted now. Go to hcps.org, close the stupid Covid popup, click "About Us" then "current vacancies" and scroll about halfway down to "Support Services Positions--Other" There is even a high paying level Grounds II (that is level TWO!) position. That one will probably require a CDL in hand to get the job...but it can't hurt to apply :shrug: The other grounds positions are this weird hybrid grounds/custodial thing we're trying out. It would be a foot in the door...but not much else.

I'm kinda hoping the Grounds II position gets filled by an internal promotion, which would open up a regular Grounds I position in a few weeks.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Is the $35K yearly salary pretty accurate or is there some OT available?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Available? Yes. Guaranteed? Absolutely not. Overtime typically comes in the form of snow removal (big bust this year) or disaster cleanup (like trees from hurricanes).

The most honest answer I can give is "Do not depend on there being OT."

I had that position for about 5 years. The blizzards of 2010-11 were great for the bank account. The other years...not so much. I don't think I ever went a year with no overtime...but it usually was not enough to build a budget around. It's a damned fun job, it just doesn't pay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom