• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Put them in my pristine clean tank with $100 filter and all new gravel for each fish and a vigorously cleaned and perfect pH balance water supply. The expensive fish die within a day or so and the nasty ass goldfish from the county fair last year is still alive and kicking getting bigger daily.
    Our daughter bought African clawed frogs from a fair. Were supposed to die after a year or so. 10+ years later...

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I have found the easiest way to kill fish is to buy an expensive aquarium, spend hundreds of dollars on accessories and equipment and then go out and buy super expensive salt water fish!

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Put them in my pristine clean tank with $100 filter and all new gravel for each fish and a vigorously cleaned and perfect pH balance water supply. The expensive fish die within a day or so and the nasty ass goldfish from the county fair last year is still alive and kicking getting bigger daily.

Had a fancy goldfish that lived almost 8 years. It was softball sized when it died.

rob

DINO Extraordinaire
    Oct 11, 2010
    Augusta, GA
    Just throw them in a cooler on ice. No need to kill them out right. They will stay fresher if they are alive. If they are still kicking at the end of the day, kill them when you clean them.

Fish are food, not friends.

Rob.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

cornstalk

Mar 13, 2013
    The best way is to keep it alive right up until the frying pan. Especially with delicate fish like trout, you'll notice they taste better, the fresher they are. The friend who taught me this once caught a nice 2 pound rainbow. Trying to make a point, he gutted it right before cooking, wrapped it in foil and threw it in the fire. That fish started flopping so hard it split the foil open and jumped out into the fire. I had a good laugh over that one while he scraped ashes off of it.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    A spike (ice pick) to the brain is almost instantaneous death for larger fish. Your iced bucket for the smaller ones will do.

We spike the brain and bleed them when fishing offshore. Heck, we even do this with bluefish (we catch alot of these during the summer) sometimes.

Look up videos on preparing fish for sushi

I know alot of snakehead fisherman yank gills out to show they killed the fish before moving in case DNR shows up.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    LOL. I think I got it at 'Safety Patrol Day at Orioles Park" about a half-century ago, the last game I attended. It has been a faithful companion on many adventures.

Ha! I was at a Safety Patrol day in 5th grade (I was chosen to be a Safety for the next year). Safety Day that year was on April 27, 1968. Tom Phoebus (a Baltimore Native, by the way) pitched a no hitter against the Boston Red Sox. I didn't even realize what was going on until after the game.

FYI....Oriole Bats were pretty good back then.

GetzzBrah

Mar 3, 2016
    Best way is to bleed the fish out at the gills. Quick and humane. Just youtube it. Please dont keep any bass (largemouth or smallmouth)

Wsanner

Sep 19, 2012
    I shoot a good bit of snakehead. They are supposed to be killed on spot or released. Each one of mine get clipped between the gills and thrown on ice to bleed out. Makes a big difference in meat quality.

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    The best way is to keep it alive right up until the frying pan. Especially with delicate fish like trout, you'll notice they taste better, the fresher they are. The friend who taught me this once caught a nice 2 pound rainbow. Trying to make a point, he gutted it right before cooking, wrapped it in foil and threw it in the fire. That fish started flopping so hard it split the foil open and jumped out into the fire. I had a good laugh over that one while he scraped ashes off of it.

Had lunch at the old Tsukiji Fish Market in Japan. To demonstrate freshness, the chief would lop off the head of the live fish and place it on the counter. He'd proceed to fillet the body into sashimi and serve you the plate.

All this while, the fish would be moving its mouth like its trying to breathe.

I was tempted to put a piece on the mouth to see if it'd eat it, but decided it's better not to offend anyone skilled with sharp instruments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom