• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Watch out if you plan to store them long in the bags like that.They have a lot of moisture in them and will mold.Ask me how I know :sad20:

Yeah, that was short-term. They're already in hard buckets. At least, those that aren't already deployed under that magic tree that I'm told converts them into sausage.

Huuman

Jul 20, 2019
    I'm not sure if i'm reading this right. But page 11 of the 2019 MD Guide to hunting. It said that hunter that did not require license (i.e. owner hunting on their own land only.) does NOT have to buy bonus antler stamp? So I can take 4 bucks (Archery/rifle/muzzy/bonus) a year? Just trying to make sure my eyes work properly reading it.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Keep them out of your house --bugs.

Believe it or not, we tried to be picky when harvesting those. Many had those ~1mm holes in them that show worm/larva entry. Those are going to piss off the deer looking for tasty treats for sure! These are all going to be kept outside in drained buckets until the last of them are put out for the Bambi Buffet in early December. Hoping that at least some of them convert properly into tenderloin steaks.

Silverlax

Nov 13, 2014
    Eastern Shore
    After years of cutting up deer shanks for ground meat, I tried them in a crock pot yesterday. All those wasted shanks over the years...............They were amazingly tender and delicious. Thanks to Steve Rinella I gave it a shot and I would recommend anyone try it if they haven't yet.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    After years of cutting up deer shanks for ground meat, I tried them in a crock pot yesterday. All those wasted shanks over the years...............They were amazingly tender and delicious. Thanks to Steve Rinella I gave it a shot and I would recommend anyone try it if they haven't yet.

One of my favorite cuts on the animal :thumbsup:

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    Guess he decided to go bulimic during his stay.

I had to text my son to walk down and push deer out tonight because one laid down on the hill 50 yards away from me. I didn't want them to see me climbing down out of the tree stand. I was watching 2 bucks and a doe for almost an hour wander around across the creek and out of range.

I'm not sure if i'm reading this right. But page 11 of the 2019 MD Guide to hunting. It said that hunter that did not require license (i.e. owner hunting on their own land only.) does NOT have to buy bonus antler stamp? So I can take 4 bucks (Archery/rifle/muzzy/bonus) a year? Just trying to make sure my eyes work properly reading it.

I don't have the book in front of me but I think it is a total of 2 bucks not 4. One in any season not each season us your bonus buck. And yes landowner does not need to buy any license or stamps if only hunting his own property

Ecestu

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2016
    I had to text my son to walk down and push deer out tonight because one laid down on the hill 50 yards away from me. I didn't want them to see me climbing down out of the tree stand. I was watching 2 bucks and a doe for almost an hour wander around across the creek and out of range.

Same exact thing just happened to me. I thought about taking the shot, but it was 50 yards through thick brush. I'm going to move in about 15 yards tomorrow and see if we can play that game one more time.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

I don't have the book in front of me but I think it is a total of 2 bucks not 4. One in any season not each season us your bonus buck. And yes landowner does not need to buy any license or stamps if only hunting his own property

Not positive on stamps and no-permit needed folks. I think that might be right, but I’d be more hesitant to say yes on the bonus stamp.

That said last year and this year it is 1 buck in any weapon season, 2 max. Plus you make take a bonus buck in region B only if you buy the bonus stamp first (again, if you have to buy stamps).

So 3 total.

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    Not positive on stamps and no-permit needed folks. I think that might be right, but I’d be more hesitant to say yes on the bonus stamp.

That said last year and this year it is 1 buck in any weapon season, 2 max. Plus you make take a bonus buck in region B only if you buy the bonus stamp first (again, if you have to buy stamps).

So 3 total.

You're right 3 total
    You'll have to turn your head sideways to read it but no bonus stamp needed for homeowner hunting own property only. Only Fed bird stamps and furbearer permit is required

Attachments

• 20191105_220433.jpg
      20191105_220433.jpg
      89.5 KB · Views: 357

possumman

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2011
    Pikesville Md
    Already got 2 archery bucks with my Excalibur crossbow so I decided to go back to some traditional bows I haven't used in a long time-probably the last 10 years-to tag a doe. Took my old Wing Hunter 50# off the rack and made up a handful of Jerry Hill cedars I had in a box in the basement-still had a few old Bodkin 3 blade broadheads in my tackle box. Still seem to shoot the old recurve ok so if this works out I will try my old Hoyt longbow 58# next. Sold my 2 good bows when I switched to the crossbow--probably should have held on to them but I don't see me pulling a 70# recurve or longbow ever again. The shoulder issue--torn rotator cuff is long healed. I will post the results-if any.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    You're right 3 total
    You'll have to turn your head sideways to read it but no bonus stamp needed for homeowner hunting own property only. Only Fed bird stamps and furbearer permit is required

Ahhh, that’s what I was thinking if that you’d need.

Irony is I bought all the things this year (okay, no duck stamp). And so far I’ve taken 3 deer all on my own property (and a few squirrels, a coon and some ground hogs) and likely won’t take any animals not on my property. That said I did spend 1 day hunting public land and I might have time late season for some more public land hunting.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Saw a smaller 6 or 5-pt chasing a couple of does who weren’t receptive in my front and side yard this evening. All the does here are still herded up with the button bucks. Older bucks don’t seem to be peeling them off and locking them down yet.

Moving my game cameras in the morning and checking pics. I might setup my ground blind tomorrow after and hunt the evening if my wife lets me. Otherwise hunting Monday all day (or that’s the plan).

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I think rattling can be very effective but you need to set yourself up in a spot where you can’t be seen doing it. One study I read argued it was far more effective for a morning hunt than an afternoon hunt. At least here in MD I think we are still in pre rut based on behavior- but it is probably about a week away.

Have you tried it yourself?

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    Have you tried it yourself?

Yes.

I have a rattle bag tied to my stand (which I can’t use this year), and I have used it a few times out of the ground blind this year. I have gotten a few bucks to come in the neighborhood this year on a few occasions but I haven’t managed to get them close enough for archery.

Devonian

Ultimate Member
    Apr 15, 2008
    I’m out in northern Baltimore County. It’s been very quiet this morning. Not even squirrels out.

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    I’m out in northern Baltimore County. It’s been very quiet this morning. Not even squirrels out.

I went out yesterday evening in a stand further in the woods and squirrels is all I saw. I'm hoping the rain holds off this afternoon and I can sit in a tree for an hour or two after work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JOELEWIS419

Latest threads

Top Bottom