• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    I am planning to purchase a holiday gift of a long gun for a member of my immediate family. I will fill out the form with his information, and have the product shipped in his mane to the residence we both share. The only occurrence of my name on the transaction is my credit card information. Please concur this is not a straw purchase.

mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    I believe it should be done in your name. You are the actual buyer and you are going to then be giving the gift to your relative. What is the form will you be filling out with his name? How will this be shipped to your residence? Wont it go through a FFL?

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    I would have it shipped in my name to avoid the appearance of a straw purchase. These days, sellers are likely to refuse the sale if it even remotely appears to be a straw purchase.

The two long guns that I have gifted in the past were purchased and brought into the home by me, and then given as gifts to a member of my immediate family.

I would only suggest that you make absolutely sure the family member shares your interest. My family member seemed to and went hunting with me every year until it came time to get his Hunter's Safety course training so he could actually do the shooting. He never took the course and when I had to stop hunting, he lost all interest. He never fired either of the guns and sold them to a pawn shop when times got tough. I must admit that I was disappointed to learn this, but he was able to get through it on his own and that, I must respect and am very proud.

These days, I hold onto one build that has been designated as "his" in case the SHTF.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    Is it from CMP? I think the government is the only one who sends firearms to someones home.

Look into a Curio and Relics 03 FFL. Guns are regularly shipped by licensed dealers to these 03 FFL holder's homes anywhere in the country and are not affiliated in any way with the gooberment.

Nothing nicer than Fedex bringing a new toy to my door.:party29:

mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    You can give your relative money to apply to the purchase of a gun. In this instance he would be able to fill out the forms. Maybe you could use a gift card, or money order, or cashiers check if he dosen't have a credit card.

onedash

Ultimate Member
    Feb 24, 2016
    Calvert County
    Look into a Curio and Relics 03 FFL. Guns are regularly shipped by licensed dealers to these 03 FFL holder's homes anywhere in the country and are not affiliated in any way with the gooberment.

Nothing nicer than Fedex bringing a new toy to my door.:party29:

so a 25 yo AR-15 can be shipped to your house? Still has to be HB in MD? Nevermind. I see. 50 YO.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I am planning to purchase a holiday gift of a long gun for a member of my immediate family. I will fill out the form with his information, and have the product shipped in his mane to the residence we both share. The only occurrence of my name on the transaction is my credit card information. Please concur this is not a straw purchase.

You are the purchaser so your name should appear otherwise strong grounds for “straw” purchase. If gifting YOU are also responsible for verifying receiver is not prohibited from owning it. Also if ordering I believe it must be sent to a FFL for transfer and not individual address.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    So is the proposed Gift Item :

1. Antique / Muzzleloader ?
    2. C&R ?
    3. DCM ?
    4. " Regular" Long Gun ?

Smokescreen

Knight who say Ni
    Feb 9, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Cleanest way for an online purchase would be to buy it, do the paperwork and when the holiday hits do the transfer.

Alternate option would be to go to your favorite Local Gun Store and see if they can get the long gun and if they sell gift cards. If they do to both, purchase a gift card and tell your relative what they should go buy (or better yet go with them). If you are sure what they will purchase and have a good relationship with the LGS, maybe even ask the LGS to order one in so your relative can hopefully have a one stop visit.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Since a C&R is mentioned, I am not sure you could legally buy something on a C&R and then turn around and give it as a gift. You’d be purchasing it with the intention of giving it as a gift, not with the intention of furthering your collection. Doesn’t mean you could never gift something you bought on a C&R. But I’d bet a lot that it would be like building a firearm. You can sell it or gift it later, but if you are building it for someone, that’s a huge no-no.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    As long as we have free range speculating pending clarification from OP , hypothetically the Recipient could have their own C&R, and the OP knows them well enough to know which Distributors have the Recipient's 003 on file .

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    Planning to purchase a new Golden boy. Not C&R. I have checked with Buds and they require the long gun be shipped to an FFL. I will transfer the funds to the recipient's account and let the entire transaction be his alone. So much for holiday morning surprises.

He is not prohibited, as he has previously purchased a long gun in his name alone. Was hoping Buds could ship after paperwork is processed, but they require a local FFL for all out of state purchases. I was a bit confused because my previous out of state long gun purchases were face to face cash and carry. I guess the internet makes a difference.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Planning to purchase a new Golden boy. Not C&R. I have checked with Buds and they require the long gun be shipped to an FFL. I will transfer the funds to the recipient's account and let the entire transaction be his alone. So much for holiday morning surprises.

He is not prohibited, as he has previously purchased a long gun in his name alone. Was hoping Buds could ship after paperwork is processed, but they require a local FFL for all out of state purchases. I was a bit confused because my previous out of state long gun purchases were face to face cash and carry. I guess the internet makes a difference.

Out of state purchases of any long gun have required an FFL for a long time. Unless you're going back quite a ways, you might have just described something illegal.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter

Here’s an idea! Why don’t you check the IP list to see if anyone is near you and just purchase the Henry outright. Cash and carry. Then give to your family member when you see them. I’ve seen a number of the Henry Golden Boy at local Walmart’s. Have you checked at yours?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom