• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    ^What kind of boots/shoes do you wear for stalking? I find my rubber boots that I use for scent control are harder to walk quietly in than a pair of sneakers. Maybe that's why they're called sneakers?

Silverlax

Nov 13, 2014
    Eastern Shore
    Just my mucks. The biggest drawback is no ankle support so it’s real easy to roll one. Sneakers won’t last where I’m walking because it is marshy in some areas. I did start looking into other options this year but haven’t decided on anything. The mucks work, but it gets harder in colder weather when I wear my insulated ones (you can’t feel anything with your feet like a stick that you’re about to snap).

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    I have a visitor today. He seems very intent on joining me in my tree.

Attachments

• 20191029_172833.jpg
      20191029_172833.jpg
      154.2 KB · Views: 419

aht2131

Aug 5, 2011
    ^What kind of boots/shoes do you wear for stalking? I find my rubber boots that I use for scent control are harder to walk quietly in than a pair of sneakers. Maybe that's why they're called sneakers?

I hunt from the ground also and wear 6" waterproof hiking boots. They are pretty lightweight, just a tad bit heavier than the lighter running shoes out there. The specific one I use are Keen Targhee II Waterproof Mid, but I'm sure other manufacturers make something similar. Earlier this year I snuck under 20 yards on a bedded doe using them after a rain the night before. Of course you won't be able to go everywhere the muck boots can if its really wet and muddy but I find it to be an acceptable trade off.

Huuman

Jul 20, 2019
    Simple question. What should you do with organ wastes after you field dress? Im hunting in the woods in my small 3 acres property. In public lands i just cover them with leaves and the scavengers will take care of it. But i dont want to attract them to my own property where my kids are. So how do I dispose of them?

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Simple question. What should you do with organ wastes after you field dress? Im hunting in the woods in my small 3 acres property. In public lands i just cover them with leaves and the scavengers will take care of it. But i dont want to attract them to my own property where my kids are. So how do I dispose of them?

In your case, put in the far corner of the property and cut the stomach open. I'd bet its gone in 2 days.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD

I used to leave them in the woods, where I hunt on a friend's small property. But his dog started getting into them, so I might start bringing along a trash bag.

Clovis

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2011
    Centreville

Here we drag the deer to the edge of the wooded area/field area and gut it there in the open. Buzzards and eagles will clean it up in less than 24 hours, sometimes less than 12 hours for a morning kill. The only thing left after that is the stomach contents of grasses or grains partially digested that scavengers don't seem interested in. The more buzzards in the area (turkey and/or black) and eagles the faster the removal. Covering it with anything only slows it down for removal.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Mine is 4.4 acres and I just leave it in the woods. I haven’t checked quickly, but it’s all gone within a week at the most. I know I’ve got plenty of raccoons, fox and possums living in or coming through my woods. Probably crows or vultures are getting some of it too.

I figure I am not going to attract more scavengers than I already have or if I do it is short term. Just because there is one gut pile doesn’t mean they’ll move in waiting for another one in a few weeks.

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Pretty sure my dog goes out and rolls in it, but hey, guarantees I bathe him regularly

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Ecestu

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2016

If you're concerned, you could bring a small collapsible shovel with you and bury it.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo

I move the dear away from the feeder and I have an area they almost never go and leave the pile there. Heart is good but I reward the dogs the next day with it. Last weekends harvest it rained that night but the pile was still gone in the morning. I forgot to clean off my butt-out and left it by the tree. It was gone in the morning also. I have foxes in the area, eagles and hawks. Only once did it last till the next day and then turkey vulchers came in and it was gone by noon. If I were to cover it, I think it would be there longer.

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    I forgot to clean off my butt-out and left it by the tree. It was gone in the morning also.

I had the same thing happen to me some years back. Maybe 3 years later I found it bush hogging an overgrown area within 20 yards of where it disappeared.

GutPile

Ultimate Member
    Jul 4, 2016
    I have never seen a gut pile last more than 12 hours in my woods. I have even seen other deer eat the contents of their buddy's stomach.

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Struck out this morning. Ton of does and yearlings hanging around. Was hoping to catch a cruising buck. Had a bruiser show up on camera this week, of course the timestamps is off.

Then this evening my neighbor hit a fawn in the common driveway, and I had to go "take care of it". Much different feeling from normally taking a deer. I keep telling myself it probably wouldnt have made it through the winter anyway, very small. Couldn't have been much more than 30lbs.
    f16f7f45136e78ab18566527df78dbfd.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom