• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    I want to get a new hunting rifle. I want to stick with 30.06. I want it to be accurate (out to a 1000 yards), fairly light, suppressible and reliable. I'd like to keep it under $2K (without optics)

What are you guys shooting out there and what do you recommend?

Thanks a bundle!

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    tikka has their t3x light and superlight, sub moa guarantee, <$1k. not threaded though their heavier ctr is.

fierce fury (1/2moa guarantee) and seekins havak (i think sub moa guarantee but i can't find it), both around $2k. both these come with or are offered with brakes so should be suppressible. both around 7#.

not sure if some or all come in 30-06 but should have similar calibers. no personal experience with these but have heard good things.

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    If you're willing to change calibers, I love my 6.5 Ruger Precision Rifle - and they are extending the platform to include .338 Lapua and .300 Win Mag. Comes threaded, accurate as all hell, beautiful trigger.... It's not "light," but its not heavy...

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    I'll look at the Tikka and see if they are suppressible. I don't really want to go with another caliber as I have all my reloading supplies for 30.06 and don't want to have to invest in another caliber.

Clif

Dec 3, 2012
    I have 4 in .30-06, and my most accurate is a Springfield M1903, sporterized. Plenty light after you replace the military stock, The barrel can be cut to your desire, and probably threaded, but why ? Is there any sub-sonic .30-06 ammo out there ?

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    I have 4 in .30-06, and my most accurate is a Springfield M1903, sporterized. Plenty light after you replace the military stock, The barrel can be cut to your desire, and probably threaded, but why ? Is there any sub-sonic .30-06 ammo out there ?

Not for subs, it reduces the flash and gunshot appreciably so it's not so hard on the eyes and ears. Still plenty loud, just not as bad as unsuppressed.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    If you're willing to change calibers, I love my 6.5 Ruger Precision Rifle - and they are extending the platform to include .338 Lapua and .300 Win Mag. Comes threaded, accurate as all hell, beautiful trigger.... It's not "light," but its not heavy...
    I don’t know where you hunt, but I have a RPR in .308 and I’d never even once think about hunting with it. At least carrying it any distance in order to hunt with it. Gotta be 15 lbs min.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    I’ll recommend Bergara. The hunter and ridge models are nice. I have the hunter in 6.5 CM that I just picked up and it’s a damn nice rifle. Trigger is amazing. The ridge models are threaded. Give them a lookup.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    actually, re-reading your wants (1000yd hunting) you're going to want at least a 1/2moa rifle, as that will give you roughly a 5" circle at 1k (actually worse when considering not a perfect shooting position in the woods, heart rate from climbing and that big buck in your sights, imperfect wind call, etc). that's a pretty tall order for any price range much less under $2k. the fierce is the only one i'm aware of around $2k that gives 1/2moa guarantee, but their website doesn't list 30-06.

cooper has a 1/2moa guarantee. bil had two of them that lived up to that. i just got their backcountry (super light) and unfortunately it is shooting a little over 1moa. i'm sure they'll fix it or figure it out. my 'cheap' other rifles are easily out-shooting it now. i got this one for $2k (new old stock) but they're mostly selling for mid $2k's. they do make these in 30-06 and do that in other models also (some a little less expensive but heavier).

i will say personally i have set a hunting limit of 500yds and maybe i'd extend that to 600 if the conditions were perfect. i've seen on tv and heard of successful hunting shots well in excess of that, but for me, there are just too many variables reaching out that far to risk wounding an animal. seen plenty of misses well within that yardage at the various prs matches i've done and those are pretty much ideal conditions with plenty of opportunity to get wind input.

Mr.Blue

Living In A Bizarro World
    Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD

geda

Dec 24, 2017
    cowcounty
    My favorite 30-06 hunting rifle is a hand me down 70s ruger M77. When i got a suppressor I looked into getting it threaded. Two gunsmiths didnt want to touch it for technical reasons, and a third wanted something like $300. So i shopped around and there is a pretty poor selection of "tacticool" 30-06 rifles that would have a factory threaded barrels. Ruger has the m77 based guide gun in 30-06 and it is threaded which I liked. Then I saw the the gunsite scout in 308 with a box magazine. A bolt action rifle with a box mag was a button that I didnt know I had before then. Eventually i went with a mossberg MVP in 308 that is compatible with 30rd AR10 mags, silly I know, but it makes me smile.

Suppressor on 308 was a big disappointment for me and since I dont have the 1000 yard requirement I reduced power and have hunted with a super sonic 300blk out of a dirt cheap ruger american for two years. It is a nice balance between power and noise.

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    I don’t know where you hunt, but I have a RPR in .308 and I’d never even once think about hunting with it. At least carrying it any distance in order to hunt with it. Gotta be 15 lbs min.

10.7 without optics/ammo. Mine is just under 14 when loaded with the eight round limit. It’s a couple pounds more to lug around than my AR 10, but the accuracy, comfortable handling, and general setup is worth the couple extra pounds. I hunt mostly in Carroll County on a farm with sight lines out several hundred yards from most of the blinds. Honestly, a good sling and the weight I don’t even notice - the length would be a b!tch, but with the side folding and locking stock that is not a problem either. My AR10 has the same length bbl, so the folding stock takes it across the finish line between the two. That said, I’m a big guy (6’1”, 275 lbs) so a few pounds here or there don’t mean much.

tomandjerry00

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2013
    tikka has their t3x light and superlight, sub moa guarantee, <$1k. not threaded though their heavier ctr is.

fierce fury (1/2moa guarantee) and seekins havak (i think sub moa guarantee but i can't find it), both around $2k. both these come with or are offered with brakes so should be suppressible. both around 7#.

not sure if some or all come in 30-06 but should have similar calibers. no personal experience with these but have heard good things.

I'd be wary of "light" barreled guns if planning to shoot a lot. When we did our 1000 yard course, the guys with thin barrels would have to stop and wait to cool after 7-10 shots versus those of us with heavy barrels didn't have nearly the same issue.

How much hunting do you plan to do? I'd pick up a nice Savage with accutrigger and throw in a chassis of your choosing (or Boyds stock). I have 6 or 7 Savages at this point and have been happy with nearly all of them. My cousin is a Remington 700 guy and has good luck as well, though some of the recent recalls make me a bit nervous.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Presumably Hunting and " accurate to 1,000yd " are two seperate activities ?

Hunting suitable , and even accurate within the context of hunting grade rifles, has literally more options than you can shake a stick .

Placing the other priority , would be a search for a sub 0.5moa .30-06 , of semi- plausible weight , and a much narrower search . Others with more current knowledge of factory options will hopefully chime in . But most I'm aware of focus on .308 or .300mag for .30 cal .

Off the top of my head , a donor long action Savage M110 with Accutrigger , and add a Schilen , Hart, etc bbl, and a stiff fiberglass stock for comparitive lower cost approach .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom