• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rmocarsky

Apr 20, 2011
    Guys,

I really would enjoy reading about Marylanders' experiences hunting in Maryland and other states with outfitters.

I don't see nearly enough on this forum.

If you have any experiences that were worth passing on knowledge about why don't you post it up?

Maybe some of you got robbed by outfitters and should pass on the word, while at the same time if you had an experience that you'd do again you should let us know in case we maybe some day want to experience the good time you had.

I haven't had any myself or I'd start this thing off.

Rmocarsky

Last edited:

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    I have done a couple of trips to Maine to go deer hunting. The experience was very good with each of them, except for the deer. They didn't cooperate. On the first trip the 7 of us saw a total of 3 deer in a week. One kill.

On the second trip, the 5 of us saw no deer. Each trip was at a different camp and both were up near the end of the Appalachian Trail near Baxter State Park. It is God's country up there. Absolutely one of the most quiet places on earth that I have ever been to. I didn't even care that we didn't see anything because it was great just to be out there in the most dense forest you can imagine.

I really think that the outfitters up there keep pushing the great hunting up there, but don't believe it is true. Sometime maybe 15-20 years ago, it was great, but not so much anymore.

The trips were not all that expensive. Driving up there, staying in cabins with all expenses was less than $2000 for a week. Probably closer to $1500.

If interested, I can post up the outfitters names.

Good thread idea.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    I have done a couple of trips to Maine to go deer hunting. The experience was very good with each of them, except for the deer. They didn't cooperate. On the first trip the 7 of us saw a total of 3 deer in a week. One kill.

On the second trip, the 5 of us saw no deer. Each trip was at a different camp and both were up near the end of the Appalachian Trail near Baxter State Park. It is God's country up there. Absolutely one of the most quiet places on earth that I have ever been to. I didn't even care that we didn't see anything because it was great just to be out there in the most dense forest you can imagine.

I really think that the outfitters up there keep pushing the great hunting up there, but don't believe it is true. Sometime maybe 15-20 years ago, it was great, but not so much anymore.

The trips were not all that expensive. Driving up there, staying in cabins with all expenses was less than $2000 for a week. Probably closer to $1500.

If interested, I can post up the outfitters names.

Good thread idea.

Take a quick trip through central MD and one person may see hundreds of deer. The people are having these trips in the wrongs places :lol2:

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    Take a quick trip through central MD and one person may see hundreds of deer. The people are having these trips in the wrongs places :lol2:

LOL yes, best to hunt out of state for something we don't have here (elk, moose, wild hogs, etc), or the season sucks on (bear). Or the varminting is boring (try bobcat hunting in ME).

xtreme43s10

Ultimate Member
    Mar 19, 2007
    maryland, in Mont county
    I'm going to Kansas this year to hunt waterfowl. I've been to TN to hunt hogs, and hunted black bear in PA. In MD I've lived all my life and hunted deer,ducks,geese etc in MD. What would you like to know? Maine wouldn't be on my list of places to hunt deer if I lived in MD.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Nice. :D I get it, but if you ever spent time in the woods up there, you may not want to come back.

I get what you're saying, but I've never spent any time in any woods...
    Now I have been to the beach in maine. It's not for swimming but it's beautiful!!!

DaveP

Jan 27, 2013
    St. Marys county
    Have done DIY moose, antelope, gator etc hunts
    Have been on a few guided hunts, but really don't like being led around, would rather sink or swim on my own
    Do a little homework before hand, and have fun!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom