• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    The flies are swarming on my trap since it's been pretty warm here.

I'm going to dump the contents in my back yard to see if the birds eat the dead flies when the trap gets filled up (it's close now).

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    They have videos of people making homemade traps using beer but I don't think it poisons the flies. They drop eggs in there and maggots grow in them. I'll stick to what I'm using.

It stinks pretty bad so I may just throw it in the trash and get a fresh one when this one is filled.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    They have videos of people making homemade traps using beer but I don't think it poisons the flies. They drop eggs in there and maggots grow in them. I'll stick to what I'm using.

It stinks pretty bad so I may just throw it in the trash and get a fresh one when this one is filled.

If the flies are poisoned you probably don't want to feed them to the birds

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    Read title.

Rmocarsky

They stink to holy hell so I wouldn't use it indoors. I was referring to the type of fly it traps.

My neighbor complained about the smell so I moved it way in back of the yard.

It's completely filled with dead flies.

I'm just gonna put it in a plastic bag and put it in the trash for the guy to pick up Monday morning.

elind

Dec 22, 2013
    Fort Meade
    Why is AAco like a third world country when it comes to flies? They are terrible on Fort Meade, we can't even enjoy our backyard. I use the 2 liter bottle trick and I've used the milk jug trick, but they fill up so quick.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Why is AAco like a third world country when it comes to flies? They are terrible on Fort Meade, we can't even enjoy our backyard. I use the 2 liter bottle trick and I've used the milk jug trick, but they fill up so quick.

My guess is AA county is a very low, flat county with lots of wetlands which are favorable to insects. At least, the western part of the county where I grew up was.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    anything like this work mosquitoes? I don't want to deal with the propane ones anymore.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    Vermont

We call them the Vermont State Bird. Perhaps AAC County Bird . :)

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    Best thing about the video is the guy's voice and the way he was telling his story.

Mine looks like the pic on the side of the bottle. I think I may just dump the flies into a bag or something and reuse the bottle.

I bought the trap at a Home Depot BTW.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I picked up the old fly trap to dump it out into a trash bag and reuse it today.

If you do this then use latex gloves cause the odor doesn't come off your hands easily. I can still smell a faint odor of it on my hands.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I bought a second fly trap and that one is well on it's way to duplicating the first by filling up with dead flies.

I put water in the first one but nothing entered it. I didn't rebait it cause it stunk too much. I'm going to trash it this weekend.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    Filled up the second trap and put it way in the back yard cause it was stinking up the place.

Might get another one just for the hell of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom