• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rmocarsky

Apr 20, 2011
    Hello folks,

My neighborhood for some unexplained reason has begun having an influx of rats.

I am nocturnal by nature having been a night worker for 30 years and on the weekends a spend late nights in my back yard and enjoy the peace and quiet . . . except that recently it has been ruined by rats traveling through my yard on the same nightly route.

When they come, they pass about 10 yards away from me traveling through the yards of the neighbors property and mine and they continue the same way every night.

Up until now we have been strategically placing poison out and seeing less and less but on the weekend nights, when I am out there I see them and thought ``man, I could easily plug one of these guys with an air shot gun at this range if they made them.

Then I found out . . . THEY DO!

I am in northern Anne Arundel County and was wondering does anyone here know if an air shot gun would be effective and quiet enough to use at night?

Rmocarsky

molonlabe

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2005
    Mountaineer Country, WV
    I grew up in the inner city and we used to go to the NYC dump with our pellet guns. As the sun set they would come out in droves. It looked like a Willard film. We would shoot them until we ran out of pellets. That's how I learned the shoot the military provided the rest.

May 16, 2012
    AACo has laws about discharging air guns within certain range of buildings, I don't remember the details but I'd suggest googling around to check your local laws before engaging rodentia in ranged combat.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    I wouldn't get an air shotgun. Std .177 or .22 airgun better way to go. The Nitro Venom is one I like, powerful and pretty quite with the suppressor which comes with it.

Can't speak to the laws there.

Can use traps also or make one from a 5 gallon bucket and water The bucket works well if done right and will take a lot out quickly. Vid on how to make one; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OijRH-lduq4

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    How about a stick trap? Long stick, stuck at a low angle, bait at the top with wire loop snares along the top of the stick. You'd only have to deal with it after all the loops are in use.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    iu

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    Nitro Venom

I wouldn't get an air shotgun. Std .177 or .22 airgun better way to go. The Nitro Venom is one I like, powerful and pretty quite with the suppressor which comes with it.

Can't speak to the laws there.

Can use traps also or make one from a 5 gallon bucket and water The bucket works well if done right and will take a lot out quickly. Vid on how to make one; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OijRH-lduq4

Which do you use? the .177 or the .22?

cobra

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2009
    White Marsh
    Had a rat problem two years ago due to an abandonded house being reoccupied. I used a Nitro piston in 22 cal to take them out up to 30 yards, longest distance I had to shoot. 15 gr. pellets seemd to work best for accuracy and kill power:)
    Get a green lens flashlight when night hunting. I used night vision monolular to spot them, then turn on green light as they can't see that light a pluck them off.:)

Doitsouthstyle

Apr 4, 2012
    Baltimore County
    Same problem I have my two pits go nuts in the yard in the morning when I let them out before I go to work. They are so bad they mange to jump or climb onto the handle of my RubberMaid Brute trash can I aquired and chews there selves holes so they can enter and exit with chewing the lids I do keep firmly on top of cans. I have thought about putting a foot trap style bear trap under some bait but now I am thing bait the lid and fill it a 1/4 way with water so hopefully they drowned

Attachments

• image.jpeg
      image.jpeg
      71.8 KB · Views: 271

Turtle Man

Mar 17, 2013
    I bought a Hatsan 125 Sniper for this very purpose. .22 caliber. Works great, but a tad loud. Try pyramydair.com Among other info, they include how loud the gun is. Could be helpful to you.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    If you kill one of these rats, what's your plan for disposing of the body? Those will stink like hell quickly in a trash can.

VG-10

Oct 5, 2012
    Calvert County
    Hello folks,

My neighborhood for some unexplained reason has begun having an influx of rats.

I am nocturnal by nature having been a night worker for 30 years and on the weekends a spend late nights in my back yard and enjoy the peace and quiet . . . except that recently it has been ruined by rats traveling through my yard on the same nightly route.

When they come, they pass about 10 yards away from me traveling through the yards of the neighbors property and mine and they continue the same way every night.

Up until now we have been strategically placing poison out and seeing less and less but on the weekend nights, when I am out there I see them and thought ``man, I could easily plug one of these guys with an air shot gun at this range if they made them.

Then I found out . . . THEY DO!

I am in northern Anne Arundel County and was wondering does anyone here know if an air shot gun would be effective and quiet enough to use at night?

Rmocarsky

You need a couple of Plummer Terriers!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PY6W2EGF9ho

54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    You should be able to kill a rat with a gas piston .177 air rifle. I have a Weihrauch and it is murder on birds, but I would want more power for squirrels, like a .22 air rifle. But I think .177 should be enough for rats with a head shot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom