• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rmocarsky

Apr 20, 2011
    Does anyone know if it is legal to hunt deer I South Carolina with a semi-auto high powered rifle?

Rmocarsky

rmocarsky

Apr 20, 2011
    Lazarus,

I went there and could not find an answer to my question.

I know it should be in there somewhere, but I can't find it.

Rmocarsky

molonlabe

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2005
    Mountaineer Country, WV
    Lazarus,

Rmocarsky

Seems like this is harder to find than a Sasquatch. I found this and it appears that it varies from county to county. That's strange because it should be called out in the regulations. It suggest calling the local sheriff. ( good luck with that they aren't always the best source of information. In gameland birds you need the plug for 3 rounds on a shotgun.

https://reformedmusings.wordpress.com/2012/05/19/south-carolina-study-and-hunting-rifle-choice/

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The State that had issues with hunting with semiauto per se is Penna.Many states will have regulation about magazine capacity while hunting, either capacity, or actually loaded.

And SC may well have regulations about which weapons may be used in which geographic area, but a semiauto rifle would be similar to the regs for other rifles.

What I find interesting, is that on private property,.22 Rimfire is legal.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Lazarus,

Rmocarsky

I am sorry. I stupidly thought all states had reasonably well laid out laws and regulations on stuff like that. I guess not :mad54:

molonlabe

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2005
    Mountaineer Country, WV
    Here is what I did in Wisconsin with my M1a. I loaded 5 in the magazine, that's what most semi auto and bolt actions hold and went from there. I loaded the .308 with Sierra game kings. After all these years at the range practicing I never used more than one shot to take a deer anyway. Plus it's a lot lighter to carry.

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    I also have the same question and yesterday on way back from Florida, stopped in SC and retrieved their DNR "Official State Regulation Guide" July 1, 2015 - August 14, 2016. If the restriction is published, I certainly didn't locate.

Fired off an email to DNR, if they reply, will post.

yellowfin

Pro 2A Gastronome
    Jul 30, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    Does anyone know if it is legal to hunt deer I South Carolina with a semi-auto high powered rifle?

Rmocarsky
    Pretty much the only state that says no is PA, which is colossally stupid on PA's part. There are a couple of states that say no rifles for deer, and one that says they have to be pistol caliber or otherwise straight walled cartridge like 450 Bushmaster or 458 SOCOM, (Indiana), but otherwise it's universally good to go so long as you meet accepted minimum caliber criteria.

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    The reason we couldn't find it, it appears there aren't any restrictions. :) Other than some primitive weapons restrictions.

Sent: Monday, June 27, 2016 9:12 AM
    To: 'Me'
    Subject: RE: Firearms

Yes, as it relates to deer hunting there are no restrictions on actions, magazine capacities, suppressors, etc. in SC. If you legally possess it, as in the case for a suppressor, then you can hunt deer with it on private land.

Regards,

Charles Ruth
    Certified Wildlife Biologist
    Deer & Wild Turkey Program Coordinator
    SC Dept. of Natural Resources
    P. O. Box 167
    Columbia, SC 29202-0167

803-734-8738
    803-734-6020 fax

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics