• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    I live 5 minutes from Gilberts and will never go there. Its way overpriced!

Instead I drive to Maryland Small Arms Range next to Andrews Air Force Base. It takes about 30 mins to get there, its cheap ($15 for the entire day), its indoor so you can shoot on those rainy days, and you can bring your own ammo. They have a good selection of rentals also. But if you rent one of their guns you must use their ammo, which is understandable. It is only for pistols but you can shoot rifles chambered in pistol calibers.

AND,

They just broke ground on a new range down the street. The current range will remain open until the new range is completed sometime next summer. The new building will be all indoors with 25 yard pistol and 50 yard rifle ranges. The rifle ranges will allow the majority of high power rifle calibers.

When it all comes down to which range to go to I think it depends on how much you shoot. I shoot every weekend so going to Gilberts would make me broke. Yea I have to drive 30 mins to get to MSAR, but the ammo savings is way worth it. I shoot around 600 rounds each range visit. If I did that at Gilberts Id have to take out a second mortgage. If you dont plan on shooting that much then just go to the range closest to you.

FlatTopFoley

Bears
    Sep 6, 2010
    Silver Spring
    I started going to AGC after my brother joined, have never waited for a lane on either the pistol or rifle range. Only downside at AGC is if you get there after a cease fire and have to wait a half hour to post targets :p

May 25, 2009
    I live 5 minutes from Gilberts and will never go there. Its way overpriced!

Instead I drive to Maryland Small Arms Range next to Andrews Air Force Base. It takes about 30 mins to get there, its cheap ($15 for the entire day), its indoor so you can shoot on those rainy days, and you can bring your own ammo. They have a good selection of rentals also. But if you rent one of their guns you must use their ammo, which is understandable. It is only for pistols but you can shoot rifles chambered in pistol calibers.

AND,

They just broke ground on a new range down the street. The current range will remain open until the new range is completed sometime next summer. The new building will be all indoors with 25 yard pistol and 50 yard rifle ranges. The rifle ranges will allow the majority of high power rifle calibers.

When it all comes down to which range to go to I think it depends on how much you shoot. I shoot every weekend so going to Gilberts would make me broke. Yea I have to drive 30 mins to get to MSAR, but the ammo savings is way worth it. I shoot around 600 rounds each range visit. If I did that at Gilberts Id have to take out a second mortgage. If you dont plan on shooting that much then just go to the range closest to you.

MSAR is not as bad as some will say. I go there. It's cheap, and they let me shoot my own ammo and don't hassle me to stop shooting. $15 covers the WHOLE DAY, so even if you leave and grab lunch you can come back and keep shooting without paying again. They have shooting glasses for $3 which is convenient because sometimes I forget to bring extras for friends. And I think hearing protection is only a few bucks extra if you need it. Yeah, there are some gangsta wannabes in there sometimes, but they aren't so bad. I spotted a guy who had rented a pistol who was obviously inexperienced. He kept muzzle sweeping his buddy. He made sure the weapon was clear, but he was being careless. I told him to be careful and he appreciated the advice. And while some folks shoot sideways, they are always safe. Yeah, they look dumb, but I don't care so long as they aren't putting anyone in danger. There's usually a lot of LEO or security types in there, which I think contributes to a safe environment.

I won't lie...when I first went in and saw the holes in the ceiling and the dings in the target holders, I was worried. But I usually keep an eye on everyone at the range(just in case) and I rarely see anything that worries me. Now if only they let me shoot shotguns there....

HardHatMan

FBHO
    Jul 14, 2009
    Virginia
    MSAR is not as bad as some will say. I go there. It's cheap, and they let me shoot my own ammo and don't hassle me to stop shooting. $15 covers the WHOLE DAY, so even if you leave and grab lunch you can come back and keep shooting without paying again. They have shooting glasses for $3 which is convenient because sometimes I forget to bring extras for friends. And I think hearing protection is only a few bucks extra if you need it. Yeah, there are some gangsta wannabes in there sometimes, but they aren't so bad. I spotted a guy who had rented a pistol who was obviously inexperienced. He kept muzzle sweeping his buddy. He made sure the weapon was clear, but he was being careless. I told him to be careful and he appreciated the advice. And while some folks shoot sideways, they are always safe. Yeah, they look dumb, but I don't care so long as they aren't putting anyone in danger. There's usually a lot of LEO or security types in there, which I think contributes to a safe environment.

I won't lie...when I first went in and saw the holes in the ceiling and the dings in the target holders, I was worried. But I usually keep an eye on everyone at the range(just in case) and I rarely see anything that worries me. Now if only they let me shoot shotguns there....

I have been there once, a while ago, and have experienced the "gangsta wannabe's". I was with my LEO buddy, his girl and my BIL. We each got 2 lanes and my buddy and his girl to the left and an empty lane to my right, then a couple gangstas 2 lanes to the right. They had rented guns and were doing the sidearm shooting shit. One of them actually LOOKED DOWN THE BARREL OF A LOADED GUN when he had a round with a bad primer. This was after I saw them leaning against the lane barriers and shooting 2 guns at once in each lane. We left shortly after the kid looked down the barrel of his gun. When I saw him do this, my stomach sank expecting to see something I didn't want to... I didn't see any of the three "RO's" watching the shooting lanes. They were all at the counter.

The bullet holes in the ceiling aren't too appealing either. I haven't been back, even when my buddy invites me. That place is an accident waiting to happen. I'm sticking with my private shooting club ;)

May 25, 2009
    I have been there once, a while ago, and have experienced the "gangsta wannabe's". I was with my LEO buddy, his girl and my BIL. We each got 2 lanes and my buddy and his girl to the left and an empty lane to my right, then a couple gangstas 2 lanes to the right. They had rented guns and were doing the sidearm shooting shit. One of them actually LOOKED DOWN THE BARREL OF A LOADED GUN when he had a round with a bad primer. This was after I saw them leaning against the lane barriers and shooting 2 guns at once in each lane. We left shortly after the kid looked down the barrel of his gun. When I saw him do this, my stomach sank expecting to see something I didn't want to... I didn't see any of the three "RO's" watching the shooting lanes. They were all at the counter.

The bullet holes in the ceiling aren't too appealing either. I haven't been back, even when my buddy invites me. That place is an accident waiting to happen. I'm sticking with my private shooting club ;)
    Fair enough...I have never seen anything CLOSE to that bad. Lots of bad shooting, but safety is usually not an issue. But if I saw that, I might not come back either. The RO's could ABSOLUTELY be better, but I don't worry too much. Now, if someone muzzle sweeps ME, there will be a reckoning of biblical proportions. Keeping the muzzle downrange is the rule that keeps us all out of the hospital . I find though, that if you talk to the gangbangers, they are usually more open to suggestion than you might assume. I show them my guns and talk to them about safety and why gun ownership is a right and responsibility. I don't know if it's just because I don't look like their dad or what, but they usually listen to what you have to say. I doubt I'm getting any to join the NRA or anything, but a kind word on safety goes a long way. Same goes for anyone, really. I'm sure we all have lapses in judgment and focus. You'd want the guy in the next lane looking out for you, right?

Dattrini85

Man of few words.....
    Oct 19, 2010
    Moco

I actually went there with my GF today for the first time. The space was a little tight and there were LOTS of bullets holes in the ceiling!! I didn't bother me too much though. Most of the people there were older and seemed to practice proper gun safety. I didn't see any "gangsta" types while I was there LOL..I guess they took a vacation..:lol:

I would go there again when I am on a "poor man's " budget which is most of the time:D

I will be trying the NRA range though..just waiting until I build a little more of a arsenal :D

Thaimonkee

Jun 2, 2010
    Bethesda
    Does any one know if MSAR allows rifles at their range?

From what they have told me only rimfire rifles are allowed there.
    Driving to NRA is actually closer than Maryland small arms if you live 5 minutes from Gilberts. And the targets At NRA dont wobble around when you send it down range.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I live 3 miles from the Legion bridge and I can get to the NRA range in 25 minutes on a weekend. Weekdays about 30-35 if 66 isn't screwed up.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Most of the people there were older and seemed to practice proper gun safety. I didn't see any "gangsta" types while I was there LOL..I guess they took a vacation..:lol:

I hate to say this, but some of the worst gun handling I've seen is done by "older" folks. I was at Blue Ridge and the guy next to me was shooting a Glock. I could see the sparks fly on the concrete floor about 20' downrange as he was shooting and anticipating recoil. I've been swept by more older folks than anyone else at ranges, too.

Jim

Thaimonkee

Jun 2, 2010
    Bethesda
    Local boys! I'm off River Road outside the Beltway... We've got to get together!

Jamie

I live on Landon Lane to be exact. This is cool. I though i was the only one in the neighborhood that shoots. All my uptight neighbors are totally against guns even if it for home protection.
    I hit the NRA range pretty often. We should get together.

skeeter

May 23, 2012
    I'm in Germantown and frequent Cresap often; they are only about 25 minutes from me with no traffic (if you are in the southern part of MoCo, it will be obviousely a longer drive).

If you are not looking to join a club and only go shooting once a month or so, you might consider them. They are only open to the public on weekends and this time of year, they can get busy. But, everyone up there are good people. They are VERY safety focused and will take the time to help new shooters with any protocals and rules. They have 25 yard pistol and 100 yard rifle lines. Also, they are pretty inexpensive. They supply targets, but bring your own eyes and ears.

I'm in Montgomery Village and would like to start going more often. If your interested maybe we can meet and take turns drive up for some gun fun.

Don

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom