• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tangent

Feb 28, 2013
    So I caught site of this flintlock in a store. The wood is really narly, but I like it. It probably dates back to the civil war. Anyway, wondering if anyone had tips on restoring a badly damaged stock (weather). Thinking more wall hanger but might consider shooting it.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Flintlocks were out of general use by the US civil war. You should probably not try to refinish it other than cleaning it with white vinegar diluted with water. After removing the metal parts from the stock of course. That may be a bit of a chore in itself because early firearms used non standard screws. If it is an original.

tangent

Feb 28, 2013
    Flintlocks were out of general use by the US civil war. You should probably not try to refinish it other than cleaning it with white vinegar diluted with water. After removing the metal parts from the stock of course. That may be a bit of a chore in itself because early firearms used non standard screws. If it is an original.

Refinish the wooden stock or the metal parts?

The stock is what looks bad

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Refinish the wooden stock or the metal parts?

The stock is what looks bad

I'm saying it's probably not a good idea to try to refinish either if it's original but just lightly clean the surface of the wood.

GunBum

Feb 21, 2018
    SW Missouri
    Boiled linseed oil. Doesn’t refinish anything. Just adds protection. The purists will thumb their noses at it, but it’ll help preserve what is there.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    That Flintlock could be 10 years old or 200+ years old. Flintlocks are still being built and shot to this day. This may be better in the Black Powder Thread but some of those folks read posts here too.
    Post pictures. Get good photos (especially the lock) of anything that has stamps (text or symbols) on it. stamps on the back end of the barrel may exist.
    lets start with that.
    Get pic of the muzzle if you can. get a rough measurement of the bore if possible.

tangent

Feb 28, 2013
    That Flintlock could be 10 years old or 200+ years old. Flintlocks are still being built and shot to this day. This may be better in the Black Powder Thread but some of those folks read posts here too.
    Post pictures. Get good photos (especially the lock) of anything that has stamps (text or symbols) on it. stamps on the back end of the barrel may exist.
    lets start with that.
    Get pic of the muzzle if you can. get a rough measurement of the bore if possible.

I'll look into it. Thank you!

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    As others have said, chances are it's not as old as you think. If it's antique, let it be.

Maintenance would be a good cleaning finished by a wipe down with Linseed oil, which polymerizes as it dries similar to a soft shellac. If you want to go whole hog, you can steam or sand out some of the dings but at that point you are stripping the stock and completely refinishing.

Maybe just embrace the look, some people really like the look of a firearm that's seen some love.

Swaim13

Jun 11, 2017
    If it is not an antique and you are planning on refinishing it, make sure you aren't dealing with any checkering. If you are, it will make the job harder as you will either need to leave the checkering and refinish all around it or completely sand down the stock then have it recheckered. I have been looking and I don't think anyone in the area checkers stocks anymore

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    A. Percussion became dominant over Flint circa 1820 .
    B. That said , plently of people who then owned a perfectly good flintlock just kept on using them indefinitely , and kept on passing them down . And some people prefered Flint on purpose , and the local 'smiths back then built things to order .( Can't trust them new fangled caps / you can find a piece of flint in the wilderness, but you can't make a percussion cap around the campfire .

C. It could be a 50yo replica that's had a hard life . If so do whatever you like, paint it neon Crylon .
    D. But if actually original era ( even if originally a parts gun) gentle cleaning, and at most Linseed Oil the stock .

tangent

Feb 28, 2013
    I don't own the rifle yet, but it's really well hidden in a totally packed curio store. They want 115 to 125. Ill probably pick it up. It looks really old and abused by weather/storage. Thanks for the advice all. Assuming it's still available, I'll post pics when I buy it.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Sounds like a 30 year old Thompson Center Hawken that's seen a lot of rainy deer hunts and just got stuck in a corner uncleaned. It may still be loaded. It may even have two or three loads in its neglected, rusty barrel.

Or you might post a picture, and reveal what many here would call an "excellent condition rifle." People who like old guns tend to have a totally different idea of condition, compared to the expectations of people who are used to newly-manufactured guns.

Curious to see a photo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom