• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    Mid 6 figures to push the case, and funding just isn't there.

Well, the anti's are using its non-prosecution to their political and legal benefit.

Every unpopular left-wing civil rights cause that one can imagine has been prosecuted in the federal courts over the last 50 years. There's money to fund litigation over every deviant human behavior, but not enough to defend what's printed in the U.S. Constitution?

AGCLVP

Jan 27, 2009
    The funding for litigation on any issue comes from citizens who believe strongly enough in their cause to open their wallets and not just their mouths.

Not intending to offend anyone; just speaking the cold hard truth.

I fielded an email the other day in response to an AGC gun show email with a discount coupon. The writer wanted to be removed from the email list because the show entrance fee went up $1. That's the equivalent of 8 rounds of .22 long rifle ammo if you don't add tax or the cost of driving to the store.

There are at least 60,000 gun owners in Maryland. If 20% of them would donate the price of a brick of .22 long rifle ammo it would come to about $720.000.

Think about it.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Why don't we see the Miller case emphasized more here. Sweeney did bring it up, but I think it could have been used more. The opinion in that case was that short barreled shotguns were not protected by the 2A and were unusual because they were not in common use by the MILITARY. That clinches this argument.

It is in the briefs. And it is in Heller itself. You can't talk about everything during argument, especially with a hot bench. IMHO Miller is useful only to the extent it was distinguished in Heller.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    The funding for litigation on any issue comes from citizens who believe strongly enough in their cause to open their wallets and not just their mouths.

I fielded an email the other day in response to an AGC gun show email with a discount coupon. The writer wanted to be removed from the email list because the show entrance fee went up $1. That's the equivalent of 8 rounds of .22 long rifle ammo if you don't add tax or the cost of driving to the store.

There are at least 60,000 gun owners in Maryland. If 20% of them would donate the price of a brick of .22 long rifle ammo it would come to about $720.000.

Think about it.
    Which would be vastly more than that necessary to pay for the HQL suit. I am sorta a hard ass on this. Lawsuits are expensive. People who aren't willing to put up a little $$ have no standing to complain that suits haven't been brought.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013

Think about it.

That's compelling. I have a brick of .22lr to donate today, to be sold, auctioned off, or raffled with the proceeds going to the litigation fund. I'll cover shipping, too. Where should I send it?

Nikon

Jan 24, 2013
    Which would be vastly more than that necessary to pay for the HQL suit. I am sorta a hard ass on this. Lawsuits are expensive. People who aren't willing to put up a little $$ have no standing to complain that suits haven't been brought.

This!! Equating a one time donation to a day at the range is a very honest and (dare I say) common sense way of looking at it.

I know not everyone can donate $30 but what about $10 or $5? Is it worth it to save $100 or more on an HQL or better yet, your future as a firearms owner in Maryland?

Wouldn't a win in the 4th or SCOTUS on the HQL issue also have meaning across the country in states where license to own are already in place? New Jersey comes to mind. I'd throw a few dollars into a pot for another's state legal challenge if it meant something for me.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    A win at the 4th only affects that circuit.

It could also have a persuasive effect on other circuits and districts in those circuits, just like their wins can help in our circuit if judges are persuaded by that reasoning and holding. They aren't sticking their neck out as far if somebody's already ruled that way, even if not binding precedent.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    This!! Equating a one time donation to a day at the range is a very honest and (dare I say) common sense way of looking at it.

I know not everyone can donate $30 but what about $10 or $5? Is it worth it to save $100 or more on an HQL or better yet, your future as a firearms owner in Maryland?

Wouldn't a win in the 4th or SCOTUS on the HQL issue also have meaning across the country in states where license to own are already in place? New Jersey comes to mind. I'd throw a few dollars into a pot for another's state legal challenge if it meant something for me.

Ok, I am willing to put my money where my mouth is. I just donated, via credit card, $100 to MSI. Full Disclosure: I am an executive member of MSI and a BofD member. But, if you rather donate to the AGC, then that's fine too. Here is the link to MSI donate page. https://marylandshallissue.com/members/

one-star

Mar 9, 2009

I do sometimes wish we had a "like" button.

If everyone here had sold one gun and donated the proceeds to MSI, we would have a full 2A administration and legislature.

HokieKev

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Ok, I am willing to put my money where my mouth is. I just donated, via credit card, $100 to MSI. Full Disclosure: I am an executive member of MSI and a BofD member. But, if you rather donate to the AGC, then that's fine too. Here is the link to MSI donate page. https://marylandshallissue.com/members/

Thanks for posting this link and the reminder. I became a sustaining member of MSI today.

I appreciate your posts to the mdshooters board.

Best Regards,

HokieKev

nobis1

Aug 5, 2012
    I've always thought that the HQL restrictions coupled with the MSP regs was a strong case as it acts to heavily restrict access to handguns in the home. If we win the AWB in the 4th in Kolbe, it will be even stronger.

Exactly. Since Heller and McDonald, I have thought the Handgun Roster Board was ripe too. The construct of the law starts that all handguns are banned unless approved by the Board. In other words, you have to ask the government to bless it first. Normally, protected rights don't work that way. That, and it was written when 2A was inapplicable to the states. MD presumed they were good because there is no state 2A to burden them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom