• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Blackstar65

Jun 27, 2010
    The parking situation should have been solved. The county just opened or should be opening a three to four level underground parking garage under that mixed use development the runs between Thayer and Silver Spring.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Just left their Rockville store an hour ago, having been - as always, for me - affably and efficiently taken care of by one of the family member owners. Yes, prices are typically higher, in keeping with MoCo's astronomical costs of living and doing specialty retail business.

Today, they were being pretty aggressive on S&W prices (as they always do once a year), with a factory rep there to keep in interesting. Saw several people doing paperwork. They got some of my money today. Hoping a relocation/consolidation makes things feel right for them to stay around as a business. They're clearly worried - as should we ALL be - by the legislative direction the state is going. I heard them encouraging everyone to head to Annapolis on Monday, or at least to talk to their so-called representatives, and put their money where their mouth is through donations to NRA-ILA and MSI (since they, too, see salvation only through court action). There was the usual "it's Montgomery County" sense of gloom, when it comes to local politics/demographics, of course. But things were positive, all things considered. Hope we AND they weather the storm.

Dingo3

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2013
    Fredneck
    Meh, the customer service at Rockville sucked for me. As soon as one of the “good ol boys” came in, they would all ignore the rest of the customers. I spent a lot of money at other stores that I would have spent at Atlantic. In my opinion they are on a par with The Gun Center in Frederick. Yes, the experiences were that bad. I had a handgun in limbo during the panic of 2013, 68 days at that point, MSP actually called me to let me know it was “not disapproved” so went to pick it up. They claimed never to have gotten the fax. Called MSP in the store and had the volume up and they said it was sent. Amazingly Atlantic was able to find the fax right away. Turns out Atlantic didn’t want to deal with non-regulars.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    For me, the biggest trauma was Dale Music closing on Georgia Ave. It was an incredible repository of sheet music, from popular through classical. I doubt that there's more than one or two shops in the US that could compete, in terms of the depth of their stock. All gone.

Times change, and people change within them. I won't miss the brave new world that's being built around me when I'm gone. The sad part is that so many will never know or understand what they missed.

I had forgotten all about that place. It was a real cultural treasure. Back in the '70's I lived on Cedar St and all of that was within walking distance. My uncle had bought the house on Cedar specifically so he could walk to work on Georgia Ave.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Atlantic is certainly retail, when it comes to prices. I don't know of another gun shop in the Metropolitan area that has sponsored or joined in on as many firearms laws challenge suits as they have. I think it was them that challenged MoCo banning mail order delivery of ammo. Think about that for a minute.

Dingo3

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2013
    Fredneck
    Atlantic is certainly retail, when it comes to prices. I don't know of another gun shop in the Metropolitan area that has sponsored or joined in on as many firearms laws challenge suits as they have. I think it was them that challenged MoCo banning mail order delivery of ammo. Think about that for a minute.

That may be. But the staff lost me at the (lack of) customer service and their haughty attitude.

I do know of another LGS in Rockville that had completely closed for the day just to go to Annapolis

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    While I think their customer service sucks (especially in Rockville) and their prices are high, I don't wish them any ill will. I hope they can remain open to serve their customers and continue the 2A fight in MD. The more gun stores that are open in MD, the better. (Well except for that place in Millersville......)

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

They've gotten a bad rap around here for assorted reasons and not gotten much credit for other reasons.

Whenever I needed a particular hard to find gun, all I had to do was call them. They'd find it for me. This was mostly before on line buying was around.

The Rockville store has more necessary goods crammed into that little store than the other three LGs have, put all together.

jollymon

Dec 6, 2016
    Now in Tennessee ,
    The parking situation should have been solved. The county just opened or should be opening a three to four level underground parking garage under that mixed use development the runs between Thayer and Silver Spring.

That maybe so but how far do you want to walk around downtown Silver Spring with a gun case that looks like a GUN CASE ! that's just asking for problems

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I've been a supporter of Atlantic Guns since the 1970s. Bought many a firearm there. Always been treated right.

I'm not big on being closely attended by salespeople. If I see something interesting, there's always someone who will show it to me if I ask, and who will usually know more about the item than I do.

I don't go there often any more, though I do stop in when I need something; C&R and internet ammo in bulk has reduced my need for brick & mortar shops. That said, I was very pleased to find and buy a 1959 S&W M41 in 99% condition, 7.5" barrel, for a reasonable price, without needing an HQL (which I still refuse to get). My best bargain from AG was a Walther/Interarms TPH, in the very rare 25ACP, with a 00006 serial number. Used, came from an Interarms VP, so I was told, ran about 300 bucks. They usually had some very interesting used guns, which I appreciate. I saw my first HK P7 there. I still regret not buying it at the time. They also are willing to forgo the HQL for C&R-eligible guns, unlike some IPs here.

I'll miss the place. 40-plus years of personal service to me, and longer for many locals. Strong support for the 2nd Amendment, with their numerous challenges to MD's stupid laws, for which they paid dearly in legal fees. They had Florida CCW permit forms on hand as soon as FL first initiated its plan in 1987, and encouraged folks to apply.

I hope they own the real estate they're located on, and I hope they gouge the developers big time for the privilege of destroying a fine old neighborhood.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    That maybe so but how far do you want to walk around downtown Silver Spring with a gun case that looks like a GUN CASE ! that's just asking for problems

Funny you should mention. I bought a nice Winchester Model 12 skeet gun recvently from a fellow at AGC, but it had no case. I went straight to Atlantic, carried the gun across the street - not gonna leave it in the car in downtown SS - and I thought the young guy manning the counter was going to have a heart attack. Handed him the gun, action open, as soon as I walked in, and we found a case that would fit it. He was shocked that I'd bring a gun into a gun store, I guess. (BTW, long gun open carry is supposedly legal in MD, for a while anyway.)

BGOS, a Maryland disease, transmitted by paper from the MD General Assembly.

jollymon

Dec 6, 2016
    Now in Tennessee ,
    Funny you should mention. I bought a nice Winchester Model 12 skeet gun recvently from a fellow at AGC, but it had no case. I went straight to Atlantic, carried the gun across the street - not gonna leave it in the car in downtown SS - and I thought the young guy manning the counter was going to have a heart attack. Handed him the gun, action open, as soon as I walked in, and we found a case that would fit it. He was shocked that I'd bring a gun into a gun store, I guess. (BTW, long gun open carry is supposedly legal in MD, for a while anyway.)

I'd say no one would say squat except a cop to someone walking down the street with a uncased shotgun . But I really don't think in Montgomery Co. it's
    a good thing to do.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    They lost me when I walked in one time and asked if they had Colt BCGs in stock. The sales guy told me no and said they recommend the customer upgrade to a better BCG. He said when the customer goes with the upgrade they throw the Colt BCGs away.

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    before developers decided to make Silver Spring into the new Bethesda.
    Can we fix this and say "Before MoCO Politicians got wads of cash in their pockets so developers could try and make a new Bethesda".

But it's not the same - you can't FIND a Cop in downtown Bethesda on a Friday night, in Silver Spring, there is a LEO on EVERY street corner on Friday night.
    That tells me all this money poured into SS will not work.
    And Discovery, the Crown Jewel, leaving puts a fork in SS.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.

The greatest myth perpetrated by Doogie Gansler: LGOC open carry is "legal in MD" but not in certain counties and cities. Baltimore and IIRC MoCo are two of those places. Doogie neglected the "but" part at the 4th circuit.

In other words, you probably broke MoCo law, not MD law.

Wheaton Hills Sportsman

Jan 27, 2012
    Once I went into the Rockville store to buy some targets, a delivery of relatively inexpensive CZ 75s came in, the gentleman stocking them asked me to heft one, rack the slide, try the double action trigger, and suddenly I was upsold a CZ 75 BD model, I may have the model wrong, but it is DA/SA with a hammer drop, no safety, all steel and one great range gun. I ended up totally happy with it.

I purchased ARs, revolvers, pistols, even shotguns in both locations, and swapped and traded guns in Silver Spring, too. I will truly miss those stores, I hope they can evacuate their personnel and inventory to a new shop.

johnkorz

Feb 25, 2013
    Savage
    Gee, I have been there several times and it has always been a good experience. It shows these gun bills have a real economic affect on local businesses.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom