• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NIK

Jul 31, 2012
    MD
    Hey folks. Can anyone dissuade my problems with the HQL and convince me to get one? A friend is selling a couple older pistols that I would absolutely LOVE to buy. Problem obviously, I don't have an HQL. Regarding guns I've always followed every letter of the law and don't plan to change that now, but I'm really sketchy on the damn registration process. I've had an instance where MSP threatened to arrest me and confiscate firearms, so I'm totally against registration.

I was threatened with arrest by MSP over a decade ago after getting denied for a pistol purchase (was a Ruger Mark II if i remember right). I called up MSP to ask why, and the officer says it was related to an arrest when I was 15 years old (I was young and stupid, got caught smoking weed with the cool older kids). Anyhow, that was enough to label me a Juvenile Delinquent, thus I get denied until I hit 30. I was about 28 years old at the time I was denied. He then recited the make, model and serial numbers of the other three guns I purchased AND PASSED WITH MSP APPROVAL. He tells me that I am going to have to surrender them or face confiscation and arrest, despite the fact that I was previously cleared on 3 occasions with MSP. I called a lawyer and took his advice... I broke lease, moved to VA where that law didn't apply, sold the evil Maryland-tainted guns, then started fresh.

I bought what I wanted while I lived in VA, but several years later in 2012 I had to move back to MD. Everything I have is totally kosher (no arrests of course, even have security clearance), but I won't buy anything in MD because of that stupid experience with the MSP. I'd love to pick up a couple new pieces, but don't trust MSP as far as I can throw them after that. Am I being petty and get my HQL, or should I leave well enough alone?

Last edited:

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Do what you feel is reasonable. It's your life to live, and YOUR decision to make, no one else.

Personally, Fvck the HQL. If I find a handgun that strikes my fancy, I can have my VA residency established in 30 days or less.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    You say "older pistols", if they are 50+ years old they are C&R eligible and the HQL is not needed. Still need to go through the MSP process complete with 7 day wait though.

If you feel the need to not deal with the MSP at all then you could get a federal C&R license and buy C&R eligible guns shipped directly to you.

NIK

Jul 31, 2012
    MD
    You say "older pistols", if they are 50+ years old they are C&R eligible and the HQL is not needed. Still need to go through the MSP process complete with 7 day wait though.

If you feel the need to not deal with the MSP at all then you could get a federal C&R license and buy C&R eligible guns shipped directly to you.

No, not that old. I'm talking 80's and 90's smiths.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    80% AR15 lowers and 80% Glocks are not hard to make.

You might be out-of-luck, HQL avoidance-wise, if you want to buy your buddy's guns.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Honestly, only a lawyer familiar with your circumstances can answer that one.

The charges that got you denied may or may not count, depends. The denial was 10 years ago, I dont know how 2013 changes impact those.

There is a possibility they still count... or maybe they can even be expunged. Only your lawyer can really say.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    I have a list of guns I've put off buying for the day I retire and move out of this pathetic state. I've been itching for one new pistol in particular the past month, and gave it some serious thought, but after due consideration I said f*** it... I'm not going to bother with the HQL process just to scratch this one itch.

Want to hear a creepy personal experience I've had with the MSP? Back in the 80's I dated a girl for a couple of years. When we were dating she confided in me that she had been date-raped, a couple of years earlier, by a guy who lived in our area that we both knew, and who later became a MSP trooper. Fast forward to about 12 months ago and I got a "friend" recommendation on Facebook for this same guy. No idea whether he's still MSP or not, but what a frigging creepy experience. I know FB uses people's search history in determining who to present as "people you may know", and the girl in question has never used FB, so it really makes me wonder if he was searching for her or people she knew.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Get a C&R instead. A lot cheaper ($30 for 3 years), no NICS checks, no 7 day wait, no "not disapproved" doublethink BS, no record of firearms in MD database, no fingerprinting, no money to the state coffers.

And you get neat firearms delivered to your door! What's not to love?

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    By not getting your HQL, you have let "THEM" win. The idea is to make it difficult for people to get their HQL, thus denying you the right to purchase a handgun. I too didn't get my HQL at first, but then I thought it would be stupid of me to not buy because "THEY" want to make it more difficult to buy that firearm.

The HQL doesn't change anything in respect to the purchase/registration of a handgun. Same paperwork was/is required before/after the bill became law.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    By getting an HQL you also "Let Them Win " .

It won't help you with your friend's guns, but all of your needs can be filled with 1966 vintage guns ( plus those specifically listed as C&R ).

Either with an 003 shipped to your door, or through MSP as Exempt .

The issue you outlined above became moot when you turned 30 , presuming you haven't had any other charges as an Adult.

NIK

Jul 31, 2012
    MD
    By not getting your HQL, you have let "THEM" win. The idea is to make it difficult for people to get their HQL, thus denying you the right to purchase a handgun. I too didn't get my HQL at first, but then I thought it would be stupid of me to not buy because "THEY" want to make it more difficult to buy that firearm.

The HQL doesn't change anything in respect to the purchase/registration of a handgun. Same paperwork was/is required before/after the bill became law.

Good points. I probably should have phrased it like, "Someone convince me that it's OK to trust MSP and buy a pistol in MD."

I have no problem passing background checks, fingerprinting... hell, they can interview my 1st grade teacher for all i care. If MSP can screw up and approve my pistol purchase, then threaten me with jail for their error, I have little faith in them doing their job properly.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007

It won't help you with your friend's guns, but all of your needs can be filled with 1966 vintage guns ( plus those specifically listed as C&R ).

Either with an 003 shipped to your door, or through MSP as Exempt .

The issue you outlined above became moot when you turned 30 , presuming you haven't had any other charges as an Adult.

How can you say that? There aren't any modern day handguns that you can buy with a C&R license.

My needs aren't met with any C&R handgun. How many 3gun competitors use a C&R handgun. How many AR pistols are on the C&R list? How many C&R handguns have a 15-17 round capacity?

The HQL is not another layer of registration, it's just an attempt to prevent the average citizen from exercising their 2nd Amendment rights.

I have no idea as to what point you are trying to make with your last sentence. Want to explain?

Parallax-Free

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 12, 2017
    Balt. Co MD
    Your criminal record, unless sealed should be available to you. You could look into it and see if anything still hangs over your head. And I recently got my HQL finally, took 11 days from livescan to card in hand. Good luck!

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Good points. I probably should have phrased it like, "Someone convince me that it's OK to trust MSP and buy a pistol in MD."

I have no problem passing background checks, fingerprinting... hell, they can interview my 1st grade teacher for all i care. If MSP can screw up and approve my pistol purchase, then threaten me with jail for their error, I have little faith in them doing their job properly.

Having a few NFA weapons, I've been fingerprinted more than your average 20 year old hood in Baltimore City.

Again, the HQL didn't change any part of buying a modern handgun in Maryland. Things have been the same since 1994 I believe. The HQL just gives you the state's permission to buy that handgun.

It's just another entry on the paperwork. The lack of having one will deny you the ability to buy a modern handgun and that's why it became law. There's no other reason.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    A friend selling a S&W made me a deal I couldn't refuse, made it worth my while to get the HQL. Since then I have enjoyed using it as a photo ID (the new ones don't have a picture) because it starts lots of interesting conversations.

Also get your Designated Collector letter so you won't have to wait 30 days between transfers.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    People have stopped using 1911's for competitions ?

Ok , 13rds isn't 15-17 .

Buy stripped AR lower without HQL , and build pistol configuration of your choice .

Hunting ? For small game Hi Standard, Woodsman, Mk I Rugers, plus various S&W, Colt, and Ruger rimfire revolvers . For big game , bunches of big bore and magnum revolvers from S&W , Ruger, and Colt .

The final sentance was aimed at the OP . His 15yo weed smoking no longer an issue once he turned 30yo .

janklow

Feb 6, 2013
    Get a C&R instead. A lot cheaper ($30 for 3 years), no NICS checks, no 7 day wait, no "not disapproved" doublethink BS, no record of firearms in MD database, no fingerprinting, no money to the state coffers.

And you get neat firearms delivered to your door! What's not to love?
    for starters, he can't buy the pistols he's interested in.

It won't help you with your friend's guns, but all of your needs can be filled-
    so then all his needs can't be filled?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom