• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TexasBob

Another day in Paradise
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    Space Coast
    My pet peeve or something that that really bugs me getting a C&R FFL 03 license renewed for the third time and having fellow firearm owner or member of the MDShoorers not willing to see it as a legal and legitimate license to transfer a firearm 50 years or older across state lines. Requiring the transfer though a FFL 01 third party as statement that they pick and choose what laws to believe in or how no knowing how to conduce a transaction.:mad54:

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/curios-relics

Last edited:

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    People LOVE to muddy the waters with ********.

This should be as simple as: "It it legal"? Yes? Ok,... lets proceed then.

But, alas, people like to make thins way harder than they need to be.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    It's a Maryland thing. Gunowners complain about the gun laws here but are quick to make up even worse laws in their heads and think they should apply too.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    I used to challenge people on Shotgun World and Trapshooters (classifieds) who claimed "no shipping to California".

My point was,... why punish the residents of the State for the ridicilous laws? You might have a guy deep in Northern CA who want's your long gun, he might as well be Kent County, MD (with hills). One tactic FFL's tend to use out there is, NO transfers from individuals. Why? I have an answer, it's them being dicks to people. I've bought and sold dozens of shotguns over the years, 100% of the time it was ME (individual) shipping the gun direct to the FFL of the buyers choice. No need to have it any other way.

I gave up trying to help people, more of less what it comes down to is people refuse to read and follow the law, they'd prefer err on the side of retardation.

SigMatt

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2007
    Shores of the Bay, MD
    I was refused a sale by a dealer at a gun show in VA for a Mosin Nagant

Which dealer? I've done several C&R purchases at Chantilly without issue.

A licensee is a licensee. Where they are from is irrelevant. If they are refusing all FFL03s for transfer, we need to know who they are so we can avoid doing business with them if they refuse to listen to reason.

Federal law permits transfer of guns interstate between licensees. If the FFL01 doesn't know that or acknowledge that, they are someone to be avoided as they are making up their own rules.

Matt

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    You wouldnt be talking about some wheel guns that have ridden the MDS classifieds for months would you? Wheel guns that are C&R but the seller wanted you to have your HQL?

TexasBob

Another day in Paradise
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    Space Coast
    Bottom line I'm not bound by the Maryland state HQL BullSh*t I'm following the Federal Law ATF License FFL 03 laws for transfer requirements to transfer a 50 year plus firearm to me out of the state of Maryland to Florida. Requiring me to work with Bullsh*t laws and requiring me to use a FFL 01 for transferring the firearm it is so left wing I just can not see me wanting to give some one my money and support this Bull Sh*t. I will go some where else that is not so restrictive to get what I want! There are many sources in the local area for the same firearms.:cool:

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Pet Peeve and renewing C&R FFL 03 license

Not making excuses but I think that Part of the issue is the inability to verify an FFL03

It used to be you could mock a purchase at Classic then look up an FFL03 and at lease see if they had it on file. I’ve had more issues with FFL01 sellers than anything.

I think an FFL01 can verify another FFL01

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Not making excuses but I think that Part of the issue is the inability to verify an FFL03

It used to be you could mock a purchase at Classic then look up an FFL03 and at lease see if they had it on file. I’ve had more issues with FFL01 sellers than anything.

I think an FFL01 can verify another FFL01

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IIRC anyone can verify on 01FFL. ATF has a website where you can input the number. I think its called like FFL easy check or something?

Jul 1, 2012
    I can't check my FFL03 because I let it expire and my new one has not come in yet.

FFL-03's aren't available in the ATF EZ check (fortunately)

"FFL eZ Check does not validate Type 03 (Collectors of Curios and Relics) and Type 06 (Manufacturer of Ammunition) licenses"

TexasBob

Another day in Paradise
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    Space Coast
    FFL-03's aren't available in the ATF EZ check (fortunately)

"FFL eZ Check does not validate Type 03 (Collectors of Curios and Relics) and Type 06 (Manufacturer of Ammunition) licenses"

True but you have other ways to verify the person, require a copy of a Driver license the address has to match the purchasers name and address on the C&R FFL03 license.

You can call the ATF at 1-877-560-2435 and ask to verify the FFL03 license number and name and address under which it was issued.

You will be shipping to the same address so it not like your in the dark as to where its going.

If there ant monkey business you can turn it over to the ATF and let them handle it. :cool:

Last edited:

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I've had my for years and it got so bad, I gave it up. I got tired of dealers and wholesalers not wanting to follow the law. It's bad enough without friendlies causing problems. My C&R buying has dwindled down to nothing, so I didn't feel I was giving up that much.

lowoncash

Baned
    Jan 4, 2010
    Calvert county
    Stupid ffl03 question.
    If you have a valid 03 are all CC&Rs that are purchased maintained in the log book or if the 03 is not used in the purchase can the CC&Rs long gun be left off the log?
    Example, I purchase a long gun or handgun out of state with 03 it goes in the book. If I purchase a long gun out of state from an FFL01 that is CC&R eligible can I do it without using the 03 and not put it in the log?

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    All C&R firearms must be listed in your book.

That includes if you owned a C&R prior to having your license, if you sell it while you have a license, you must list the disposition of it in your bound book.

You don’t need to enter stuff in your bound book you owned prior to having your license if you are not selling it.

Example, I owned an M1 carbine prior to getting my FFL-03. It is not in my bound book. If I were to suffer a massive delusion and sold it, I’d enter it in the section for dispositions, but NOT in the acquisitions section. No logging it in, just logging it out.

If your FFL-03 expires, you can trash your bound book. If you get another FFL-03 you then need a new log book (nothing saying you can’t hold on to the old one and then use it again. Just that nothing in law or regulation requires you to keep your old book or turn it in to the ATF, unlike the other FFLs)

ShafTed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 21, 2013
    Juuuuust over the line
    As Jim said, every C&R acquisition during the period the license is active must be listed in the book. (If you buy an SKS from your neighbor as a private sale, it still has to go in the book.) Also, if you sell something (C&R eligible) from your "private" collection that you had before you got your C&R, it still has to go through the book. Acquisition entry would be something like "Private collection before license" and then Disposition to the buyer. No need to list all of your private collection in the book if there is no "activity" regarding them during your license period, and if you let the license expire you can destroy the book.

ETA lazarus types faster than I do.

Last edited:

lowoncash

Baned
    Jan 4, 2010
    Calvert county
    Thank you very much for the answers and clarification.

My decision to apply for an 03 has always been do I want to deal with the paperwork and do I want to chance filing for bankruptcy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom