• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • todbiker

Ultimate Member
    Feb 11, 2012
    Laurel, Maryland
    I'm starting to shoot some local 100yd matches and pulled a second carbine out as a back-up. The rear sight elevation adjustment keeps slipping from the far forward 100yd position to the 150yd after firing a shot or two and there it stays until I push it back. Anyone else had this issue and if so what was the fix?
    Thanks, Dave

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Maybe a dab of grease in the grooves that the peep sits in? Otherwise it sounds like maybe it needs to be peened just a tiny bit.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    Never had one do that, Hoping you dont need to replace the sight but if you do i have the tools around here to remove the rear sights . It should have positive clicks when moving it forward or back. it could be that its worn or a tab is bent?

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    Take it off and put the flipper back on

You can probably take the leaf off and bend it a bit to put some tension back in it

03-A3's do that too sometimes

SKIP

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 5, 2009
    Glenwood/Glenelg
    I had the same issue until I placed a dab of modeling clay on the ramp.
    Or use ABC gum. (Already Been Chewed)

todbiker

Ultimate Member
    Feb 11, 2012
    Laurel, Maryland
    Maybe a dab of grease in the grooves that the peep sits in? Otherwise it sounds like maybe it needs to be peened just a tiny bit.
    Thanks

Never had one do that, Hoping you dont need to replace the sight but if you do i have the tools around here to remove the rear sights . It should have positive clicks when moving it forward or back. it could be that its worn or a tab is bent?
    Thanks, might take you up on that, back at you if you need to remove/replace a front sight

Take it off and put the flipper back on

You can probably take the leaf off and bend it a bit to put some tension back in it

03-A3's do that too sometimes
    Thanks

I had the same issue until I placed a dab of modeling clay on the ramp.
    Or use ABC gum. (Already Been Chewed)
    Thanks

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    You cant have as many carbines as me and not have both tools :lol2:

Granted I only own one, but I don't need no stinking special tools to take off a front sight! A small block of wood, a ball peen hammer, painters tape and a brass drift is all you need!

:sad20:

Mine the original rear was lost to the vagaries of time and a piece of rail was sitting there. I replaced it with a repro kesight, but the front blade was ground REALLY far down. So it was shooting about 12 inches high at 100. I replaced with NOS and ground it down till it was zeroed with PPU FMJ at 100. Though I've only gotten it to the range twice since I did all that. Last time it was shooting about 4" low at 100 and set at 150 it was about 2" high.

I need to take it out another time or two, see if it was the lighting messing with me, the difference in lots/ammo brands or what. Either way, I can live with that kind of accuracy. It still groups well (2.5-3" groups at 100) and I could still hit a bowling pin at 100 first round out. Just need to figure out if it is closer to zeroed at 100 or 150 (for 100yds).

It may have also been with the lighting and poor contrast on the target (overcast and late in the day) that I was holding more at 6 o'clock and I need a center hold (I can't remember. I usually prefer 6 o'clock holds, but I might have ground the sight for a center hold).

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    Granted I only own one, but I don't need no stinking special tools to take off a front sight! A small block of wood, a ball peen hammer, painters tape and a brass drift is all you need!

:sad20:

Mine the original rear was lost to the vagaries of time and a piece of rail was sitting there. I replaced it with a repro kesight, but the front blade was ground REALLY far down. So it was shooting about 12 inches high at 100. I replaced with NOS and ground it down till it was zeroed with PPU FMJ at 100. Though I've only gotten it to the range twice since I did all that. Last time it was shooting about 4" low at 100 and set at 150 it was about 2" high.

I need to take it out another time or two, see if it was the lighting messing with me, the difference in lots/ammo brands or what. Either way, I can live with that kind of accuracy. It still groups well (2.5-3" groups at 100) and I could still hit a bowling pin at 100 first round out. Just need to figure out if it is closer to zeroed at 100 or 150 (for 100yds).

It may have also been with the lighting and poor contrast on the target (overcast and late in the day) that I was holding more at 6 o'clock and I need a center hold (I can't remember. I usually prefer 6 o'clock holds, but I might have ground the sight for a center hold).

I agree in most cases that's all you will need is punches a hammer and a piece of wood. However in stubborn cases where the pin doesn't want to punch through the tool can be handy. Funny thing is I almost posted a big hammer picture with that post last night:lol2:
    Hopefully that carbine is post-war so no one cares that you put an aftermarket rear sight on it. I understand they're about 25 to $30 but you can buy an original for about $20 more .
    Does that aftermarket rear sight add anything extra over the original Style? If not I'm not sure why anybody would cheap out and put a Repro rear sight on a collectable carbine that cost 700 +. When for a couple extra dollars you can buy a Nos original and not degrade the value of your rifle. :sad20:

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I agree in most cases that's all you will need is punches a hammer and a piece of wood. However in stubborn cases where the pin doesn't want to punch through the tool can be handy. Funny thing is I almost posted a big hammer picture with that post last night:lol2:
    Hopefully that carbine is post-war so no one cares that you put an aftermarket rear sight on it. I understand they're about 25 to $30 but you can buy an original for about $20 more .
    Does that aftermarket rear sight add anything extra over the original Style? If not I'm not sure why anybody would cheap out and put a Repro rear sight on a collectable carbine that cost 700 +. When for a couple extra dollars you can buy a Nos original and not degrade the value of your rifle. :sad20:

I can always swap it for a NOS. Not planning to sell it any decade soon. Plan is one of my kids gets it when I am dead (hopefully in about 50 or 60 years).

September ‘42 Inland. But again, since it was missing the original sight to start with...the kensight repro works well and at least I know it wouldn’t be worn.

No way I would have replace the original.

todbiker

Ultimate Member
    Feb 11, 2012
    Laurel, Maryland
    I was looking at a replacement and of course there are milled and stamped USGI or NOS available. The one that is giving me issue is a USGI stamped one.
    I wouldn't knowingly go repro myself, but there is a price difference between milled and stamped. I'm not looking for a "correct" rear sight, so that help a little. Oddly, the better priced ones on Ebay reside in France and free shipping time is about month.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom