• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    I've asked this before. In Middletown there is a "museum" in the name of William F. Moran. I put museum in quotes because it's more of a club.
    Apparently he was a pioneer in making knives. They appear to have recently put a lot of money into the building and the area next to it.

Their website is small and doesn't have much information. Anyone know much about this

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Bill Moran was a legend in the knife making arts. He's credited with rediscovering the process of making Damascus blades. His waiting list for his knives was like twenty years. His shop is a couple of miles from me and his home is around the corner even though I never met the man. There is a school of knife making in Arkansas named for him.

He was a very well respected man. His knives sell for some serious money when they become available.

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    Moran had a 20-year-long waiting list and sold knives to such celebrities as Sylvester Stallone and members of royalty including Queen Elizabeth II and King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia.[3][4][10] According to the Washington Post, Sylvester Stallone's knife cost the actor $7,000 and included over 30 feet of silver wire in the handle.[4]

From the Wiki site. Impressive.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    He was a bridge that kept blacksmithing/blademaking alive into the modern era. That was his greatest gift.

His knives go in the $30-40,000 range.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    This is from 2004. Also, FYI, in the gas station right beside his old workshop there is a Greek restaurant that shares the building with the gas station. Its called Aleko's and they make THE BEST gyros I've ever had. So when you go to see his shop get some gyros too.

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    Spyderco has a Bill Moran knife model.

Bill Moran was the grandfather of American custom knifemaking and the founding father of the American Bladesmith Society. Spyderco is privileged to offer a production fixed-blade knife patterned on one of Bill Moran's ageless designs. The Moran FB02 features an drop-point blade flat ground from VG-10 stainless steel and proudly bearing Bill's laser-engraved signature. The blade tapers in thickness toward the point, giving it exceptional balance and enhanced edge geometry. Its hand-filling handle is injection molded fiberglass-reinforced nylon and features a Kraton rubber inlay for a positive grip in even the most demanding circumstances. An ideal choice for hunting, camping and survival use, it comes complete with a molded Boltaron (Kydex) sheath and multi-position G-Clip fastening system.

31GQE6yJEwL.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom