• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    My boy rarely if ever actually offers up what he did in school. Today however he comes to my office and , "Guess what we did first hour of school today"..

Goes on to explain they did active shooter training. Anyone else hear about this? He goes to North Bethesda MS. The basic instruction he interprets , is run like hell out of the school until you can no longer see it. He then described option two, barricade inside room. The option #3 was self defense. He said they just said self defense, no mentioning how.. :rolleyes:

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    I really do feel for all of you who have children in MoCo schools. We were tied to MoCo due to both of our children being identified as needing special services before entering kindergarten or in kindergarten. MoCo had the resources to provide OT, PT and ST for the first child and ST for the second child. Any other county in Maryland would be a fight to get the into those programs. Our oldest was born at 28 weeks of gestation, spent 2 months in NICU and came home before her original birth date. She graduated 1 semester early from UMCP, was accepted as a fall semester freshman. Many students now are accepted as spring semester freshman today. The second went to Montgomery College got her AS and transferred to UMCP and graduated on time, four years from high school graduation.

We struggled from about 5th grade onward with deprogramming reprogramming the kids each night a dinner. We questioned them about what they learned each day and then we had to fill in the details, expand upon the limited information they were given and tell them what they missed completely. WWII, Korea and Vietnam were huge holes in their education. The major universities around the country weren't aware of the swift and accelerating fall of MoCo and I was praying that my daughters would get into a good college before they figured out what a crap-hole MoCo was becoming.

Both of my daughters had to drive past two middle schools before they got to their middle school. Their middle school was the first middle school in MoCo to have a full time SRO assigned to the school. My oldest went to a magnet school, she was at the bus stop at 6:00 AM to ride across the county for 4 years. The younger one went to the magnent school due to her sister and soon transferred back to her home school. At the beginning of her senior year she realized that the bus ride across the county would have been a good price to pay for a better high school experience.

All I can say is keep yourself involved in your childrens education.

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    My kids are home schooled. The teachers have access to numerous weapons (several loaded pistols, locked and maintained in the front and rear of the house), the doors are locked and no strangers are allowed in.

Active shooter drill at my house would involve getting to the nearest pistol, in order to fight our way to the nearest rifle and/or shotgun.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    This is one of the standard drills that we do at least once a year.

Honestly, for the sizes of the schools, options 1 and 2 are what you got.

There's no realistic way to teach "self-defense" to as many as 2500 kids in a school, but you can teach them to G.O.O.D. (get out of Dodge) or hunker down.

The most important thing is to get the fvck out of the hallways so that the adults can do their jobs.

The SROs are getting upgraded training on their response to this and what used to be sort of a feet-on-the-desk job is getting modified to have more of a first responder, active response role.

Some counties are issuing ballistic shields to their SROs so that they are better prepared to run towards the threat than if they were just wearing their vest.

BDWMS

Feb 21, 2013
    Howard County
    Thanks for the insight, Norton. I'm happy to see this is being done (and you can't argue with "run like hell"). I know the odds of an event happening are low, but I like seeing this. Realistically, self-defense isn't much of an option for a bunch of little kids...

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    The most important thing is to get the fvck out of the hallways so that the adults can do their jobs.

What are the adults supppsed to do?

Back during the anthrax scare hoco issued their shelter in place plan for the schools. Teachers were supposed to stuff wet towels under the door and shut off the air registers. That’s all fine and good if each room has towels, water, and a 10’ ladder.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Thanks for the insight, Norton. I'm happy to see this is being done (and you can't argue with "run like hell"). I know the odds of an event happening are low, but I like seeing this. Realistically, self-defense isn't much of an option for a bunch of little kids...

We just spoke on it again. Option #3 was given, and he kind of smiled "I don't understand". Basically it was the closing statement with no practical advice. He says they practiced #2 , barricading room.
    The run like hell scenario, I added to him the advice SERPENTINE SERPENTINE!

Went over the 100yr flood analogy etc. , and why kids really shouldn't worry, but knowing what to do is good. My girl in 8th grade really leaves me the impression she and many kids (girls?) actually do keep this fear in their mind. It's really my anecdotal evidence that guns in the future are not going to be a warm and fuzzy thing when they get to adulthood, and huge demographic that will welcome more gun contol. Naturally this may all be part of the agenda in schools, to really drive fear.

jimboman2000

Jan 9, 2014
    Cecil!
    My boy rarely if ever actually offers up what he did in school. Today however he comes to my office and , "Guess what we did first hour of school today"..

Goes on to explain they did active shooter training. Anyone else hear about this? He goes to North Bethesda MS. The basic instruction he interprets , is run like hell out of the school until you can no longer see it. He then described option two, barricade inside room. The option #3 was self defense. He said they just said self defense, no mentioning how.. :rolleyes:

Your son was most likely talking about ALICE.... https://www.alicetraining.com/

It is the new method used in large public buildings. We started doing it where I work and it is much more effective then just locking the door and turning out the light. We ran a practice drill with a cop in a red man suit "the big bad wolf" and were able to safely clear the building in just minutes. Sadly, we live in a world where we have to think about these kinds of things but being prepared saves lives.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom