• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DavidA

The Master of Disaster
    Dec 6, 2013
    Annapolis
    Order a new 700 Rem SS Magnum Long action for a 338 win mag build I did this last spring. McGowen 26” Sendero profile Remage nut. Any hoot loaded up some ladders in 250 SMKs , 285 ELD M and 300 gr Nosler Custom Comps. When I started cycling rounds the spent cases would sometimes no extract from chamber and some would extract but would not be thrown from the mag well. Btw got 2,850 out of the 250’s, 2,600 out of the 285’s and 2,450 out of the 300’s. Got home pulled bolt and it was obvious that extractor did not maintain enough over clearance so the slightest deflection from dead center and the case would release. So I got hold of Remington and they sent me a service repair order to ship my rifle to a Gunsmith on their repair list. Sent rifle and I got a response that the extractor needs to be adjusted for my marred rifle combination. So $95 dollars latter they will repair and send it back. Is this fact or am I being taken for the long walk down the short pier. I think it is a bunch of Malarkey..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    This is a pile. I have personally broken an R700 extractor and know a couple others who have this experience. It is a lame system. I have three 700 bolts that Doc (Ed Harren) fitted Badger M5 extractors in and I have never looked back. In the interests of full disclosure, you WILL have to open up the counterbore in your barrel to accommodate just about any aftermarket extractor that I am currently aware of. I believe I still have my drawings, if you need the information. If you have a good smith doing the work, they will be able to handle that as well as the extractor install.

Doc's number is 301-831-8068. His business is Harren Custom Rifles. I have nothing but the best to say about his work. Check around on here (he posts as DocEd) and you will find plenty of members that use his services.

DavidA

The Master of Disaster
    Dec 6, 2013
    Annapolis
    This is a pile. I have personally broken an R700 extractor and know a couple others who have this experience. It is a lame system. I have three 700 bolts that Doc (Ed Harren) fitted Badger M5 extractors in and I have never looked back. In the interests of full disclosure, you WILL have to open up the counterbore in your barrel to accommodate just about any aftermarket extractor that I am currently aware of. I believe I still have my drawings, if you need the information. If you have a good smith doing the work, they will be able to handle that as well as the extractor install.

Doc's number is 301-831-8068. His business is Harren Custom Rifles. I have nothing but the best to say about his work. Check around on here (he posts as DocEd) and you will find plenty of members that use his services.

Guys this is what U have heard of on magnum bolts. I may be giving Doc a call. Thanks!’

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DavidA

The Master of Disaster
    Dec 6, 2013
    Annapolis
    I just do not understand how they could let a bolt go out this way. So would you think Sako or M16.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    The Remimgton 700 extractor is a circular shaped piece of sheet metal that tucks into a recessed groove on the side of the bolt face. The design works OK for smaller diameter cartridges, and I have a bunch that have been trouble free. They can cause reliability issues with the larger cutout/shallower groove of the magnum bolt face. Usually, they either work fine or they are completely problematic. "Adjusting" a factory extractor consists of bending it slightly in hope of making the compromise between falling out of the groove or losing its grip on the rim. IME, once it's been bent and/or comes out, it's toast.

This is a long standing, well known issue. I had a Sako extractor installed on my magnum build in 1992 and I wasn;t the first. I still use the rifle and the extractor works great, doesn't require a barrel notch and will tear the rim off a case before it lets go.

DavidA

The Master of Disaster
    Dec 6, 2013
    Annapolis
    Thanks eshell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the magnums extractors are pinned for this reason as adjusting them by flexing them would be problematic if they were free floated. Well when I get it back I will take it through the paces any mishaps and it will go immediately to Doc for a Sako or M16 extractor

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    the magnums, like ALL early 700s, are riveted in place. The circlip type units are in the newer standard 473 and small 378 bolt faces. I have a .473 bolt face 700 that dates to early 66, and it was originally a riveted unit. All the magnums i have seen are rivet in.

As for what extractor you pick, that is really up to your preference. I have owned both sako and m16 pattern and both work much better than remington OEM. As Ed mentions, the relief is not a notch. It is an increase in counterbore to allow the extractor to snap over the case rim. I suppose I wasn't clear above. I believe that the relief is around .785 but don't quote me on that til I can find the drawings. It is a very small job in the lathe but I figure it best to disclose up front that modifying the bolt requires modifying the barrel.

DavidA

The Master of Disaster
    Dec 6, 2013
    Annapolis
    Thanks this is a Remage barrel set up so it should be quite easy on a relative basis.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom