• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    "The 300 AAC Blackout cartridge gives performance very similar to the 7.62×39, but in a cartridge that works perfectly with standard AR-15 bolts, magazines and lowers. You can convert any standard 5.56 AR-15 to .300 AAC Blackout by merely changing only the barrel. Of course, if you don’t want to mess with taking apart your current upper, you can just drop a complete 300 AAC Blackout AR 15 Conversion Kits onto your lower."

There are tons of upper sales right now. I have one 5.56 AR any reason not to just get a 300blk upper instead of a entire 300blk rifle?

RuralRifleGuy

Aug 16, 2018
    Queenstown
    Two rifles are better than one rifle :shrug:

With an upper you’ll probably want to get dedicated lower for it at some point. I thought having two uppers and just swapping them would be ok, but it’s kind of an annoyance. If the difference between an upper and a full rifle is less than or equal to the cost of buying a dedicated lower then I’d go straight for the rifle now.

Imo, I just don’t know all the hype about 300. Sure, if you got the money, go for it but for most people, ammo is expensive and sometimes can’t even find them.

.300AAC is an incredible round for suppressed shooting. It is also a very good, low recoil cartridge for Whitetail Deer.
    If you don't load for it, it is very pricey to take out for mag dumps. For reloaders, brass has come waaaay down in price and .30 cal projectiles are everywhere, so it is a good round to have on hand.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Imo, I just don’t know all the hype about 300. Sure, if you got the money, go for it but for most people, ammo is expensive and sometimes can’t even find them.

I am starting to really consider it for some day when I can get more pew pew toys. I went 6.5 grendel instead and regret it zero. It does what I care about more, better.

That said I’ve noticed 300BO ammo prices have come down a ton in the last year. When I built my 6.5 grendel about a year ago, prices were roughly the same, but 6.5G had steel cased ammo.

Built it, turned out the Wolf steel shoots 6MOA in my 6.5 grendel (Hornady Black shoots 1MOA, Federal fusion shoots .9MOA). I don’t mind inaccurate ammo for plinking, but I consider inaccraute 3MOA. Hell, my SKS with Wolf x39 turns in 2.5MOA with iron sights...

Anyway, fast forward a year and I can find 6.5 grendel for around 75 cents a round and as little as 65 cents in bulk with a bit of looking. 300BO I am seeing for around 50 cents a round without too much trouble (S&B) and I’ve seen a few sales where you could get it for 40 cents a round.

That and I feel like building a pinned 14.5” 300BO upper as a thick Bush deer upper would be neat.

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016

Didn't even think of that. That's why I posed the question.

Looks like its about 75 cents per round for cheap name brand ammo.

Guess I'll skip it. Lots of other things I have on my pew pew list. Just thought I'd capitalize on the sales.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    ... That and I feel like building a pinned 14.5” 300BO upper as a thick Bush deer upper would be neat.

So the wife hasn't put the brakes on completed uppers, right? ;)

I suspect you might be able to slide by on a few lower receivers and parts to do future builds as well.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

delaware_export

Ultimate Member
    Apr 10, 2018
    While not ar's I lean toward the 2 rifle approach.

I did the cva changing barrel combo, 50 cal/243. Not totally bad, but changing is annoying. And you can only shoot one at a time.

Would be nice to have a 300 for hogs.

***edit: I've got 2 lowers and 2 80% waiting for builds. One will surely be some flavor of 30 cal. Pistol for sure.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I am starting to really consider it for some day when I can get more pew pew toys. I went 6.5 grendel instead and regret it zero. It does what I care about more, better.

That said I’ve noticed 300BO ammo prices have come down a ton in the last year. When I built my 6.5 grendel about a year ago, prices were roughly the same, but 6.5G had steel cased ammo.

Built it, turned out the Wolf steel shoots 6MOA in my 6.5 grendel (Hornady Black shoots 1MOA, Federal fusion shoots .9MOA). I don’t mind inaccurate ammo for plinking, but I consider inaccraute 3MOA. Hell, my SKS with Wolf x39 turns in 2.5MOA with iron sights...

Anyway, fast forward a year and I can find 6.5 grendel for around 75 cents a round and as little as 65 cents in bulk with a bit of looking. 300BO I am seeing for around 50 cents a round without too much trouble (S&B) and I’ve seen a few sales where you could get it for 40 cents a round.

That and I feel like building a pinned 14.5” 300BO upper as a thick Bush deer upper would be neat.

If you ask, I could be convinced to host you for a build, as long as you take this scope off my hands. :lol2:

c4snipar

Ultimate Member
    Jul 21, 2014
    Montgomery County, MD
    .300AAC is an incredible round for suppressed shooting. It is also a very good, low recoil cartridge for Whitetail Deer.
    If you don't load for it, it is very pricey to take out for mag dumps. For reloaders, brass has come waaaay down in price and .30 cal projectiles are everywhere, so it is a good round to have on hand.

As long as you are not buying based on the hype and of course, there’s also the “why not” rule if that applies to you, by all means :)

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV

Guess I'll skip it. Lots of other things I have on my pew pew list. Just thought I'd capitalize on the sales.

FFS...

You can buy new ammo for around 50-55cpr in bulk if you look for it.

RuralRifleGuy

Aug 16, 2018
    Queenstown

You can find decent ammo for less than that. I just got 100 rounds of Fiocchi 150 Grain Full Metal Jacket Boat Tail for $0.50 per round. Granted that’s at target sports with their ammo prime subscription, but without it the cost is only $0.54 per round. Sellier & Bellot is around the same. For target and range ammo it’s just fine, if I were hunting I’d probably pay more for a round designed for the task.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom