• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • motorcoachdoug

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I have the 40cal Hi Point Carbine. It is a hoot to shoot as well plus I can feed it junk ammo and it will go BANG! every time. I have a red dot scope on it as well. I also have 4 10rds mags for mine also. Yep I do recommend them. You can not go wrong if you get one at least IMO. :gun7:

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    Any recommendations for a red dot scope that will co-witness with the 995 iron sights?

The problem is the top rail isn't long enough to allow MOST optic mounts to even fit, along with the rear factory iron sight. I've seen some guys trim the sight guard, but I chose to simply use a 45 degree offset mount for the Tasco red dot, and leave the factory sights as-is. I had factory sights dialed in for 25 yards, and red dot for 13 yards. Ironically, I can see the $30 Tasco dot MUCH EASIER than my Vortex one on an AR costing much more...A quick flick of the wrist is all that is needed to switch between the two.

Last edited:

bobbygege

Mar 5, 2014
    I have the 40cal Hi Point Carbine. It is a hoot to shoot as well plus I can feed it junk ammo and it will go BANG! every time. I have a red dot scope on it as well. I also have 4 10rds mags for mine also. Yep I do recommend them. You can not go wrong if you get one at least IMO. :gun7:

The red dot scope on the Hi Point web site does not co-witness with the 9mm iron sights. Does that mean the iron sights can't be used when the scope is attached?:confused:

motorcoachdoug

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I took off my rear irron sight in order to use my red dot and left thr front one on. I have it zeroed in at 30yards with no trouble at all. I have the 40cal carbine as well.With 2 40cal handguns plus the 40 cal carbine i save on ammo since I am on disability.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    What about one of the open red dots instead of a tube red dot? Those tend to be smaller.

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    I think the gun's ergonomics and iron sights are good enough to not need a red dot. Ugly assed things really shoulder nicely for me. My aftermarket stocked one has a small laser mounted under the barrel and it's accurate and visible enough indoors out to 25' that I don't need to ADS. I think one of them is going to be my truck gun.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Depending on what you'd use it for, a few 10rnders and a 20 seems like a good way to go. Yeah that 20rnder is big, but if it feeds reliably and the carbine is being used as a HD gun, a 20 in the mag well and a couple of 10rnd mags on the butt stock seems like the way to go. Again also, only if leaving a 20rnd mag isn't going to cause spring issues

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom