• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    Not the rifle kind with the bent bolt, laser and bipod.

I haven’t bought a gun in a long time. For whatever reason, I have never wanted a Nagant. I didn’t want them when they were available for $99 and I certainly don’t want them now when they are $350. Aside from the price, the ghastly import mark on most just ruins it for me. About 3 months ago, I, for “investment purposes,” and without owning a revolver to shoot it, decided that I would buy a can of Soviet Nagant ammo from SOG, with a view to holding onto it for 27.2 years when it would be worth 10x the price for which I bought it. Well, you know what kind of pressure that puts on a man.

On Tuesday, I left work a little early. At around 6 pm EST, I performed my daily review of Simpson and noticed a pretty worn Nagant made by Tula in 1931 on consignment for $195. I haven’t seen a price like that since these were carried by Nathan Bedford Forrest, I decided to take a closer look. It did not appear to have an import mark. So, I called Floyd. He told me that the cylinder matched and that the bore was “fair - there is some rifling.” Knowing that you don’t see too many Nagants that aren’t import marked and certainly not ones priced at $195, I told him I’d take it. He made sure I knew that shipping would be $35. I agreed and gave him my card number.

It arrived today. Although the finish is definitely worn, the hammer, trigger and a few other parts still retain a lot of the fire bluing. The bore is actually very shiny and strong. It hasn’t been refurbished and there is no import mark. All parts are Tula marked. It’s not often that one finds a non-refurb, non-import marked Nagant for a decent price. So, I guess I’m a Nagant owner now.

Forgive the high shine photos. I was wearing a headlamp and shining it on the parts to clean, decided to take some pics in the process.

ecc61512628b5c54ac96d78dd2cc53bb.heic

848ca5dc320323050889c8d7a71c9e1c.heic

ccfb2be03bc10208b0e6ccb209119131.heic

b7f03af7716dec780466d078315c93ee.heic

9d5651577240993e48426dd27ef4a585.heic

4095aa4a07bcb6a58588fc7c99c64ef4.heic

d6fae13538f4c441abccc17e45c1ad8d.heic

4a0085b0e75f25040178d825745db107.heic

8aa045a298b0b1b8ae6de39551be3106.heic

Jul 1, 2012
    "right on, right on, right on" :)

sometimes you can actually get a really good deal from Simpson.
    But you gotta be fast... congrats on being the fastest!

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    We're on the same page with Soviet Nagant revolvers. I too never had much interest in the imports but have been keeping an eye out for a bring-back which always seem to have lead a harsh life. Good find, esp. swooping in while the window was open. All too often I've lost out on a good deal while mulling over things. He who hesitates is lost!
    Here's a story for the young'ns in the collecting community that illustrates my point. Attended a Harrisburg gunshow back in the day when they were glorious and C&R filled. A good buddy was with me, on the hunt for a nice Swedish M96. We ran across one just 10 minutes into our first "round". The price was very good and the condition was excellent. But he was a patient man and wanted to finish the first round to see what else was available. So we spent the next 30 minutes eyeballing the floor. Came back around, the Swede is still there and I try to convince him to pull the trigger but he wants to think it over some more! Off we go again. This time I make up my mind that if it's still there next time around I'm buying it myself and will gift it to him. But sure enough, we come around the 3rd time and we witness the Swede being sold. Sometimes you need to trust your gut and take the leap, esp if it's not gonna stress your wallet. Just like what Abulg1972 did.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    We're on the same page with Soviet Nagant revolvers. I too never had much interest in the imports but have been keeping an eye out for a bring-back which always seem to have lead a harsh life. Good find, esp. swooping in while the window was open. All too often I've lost out on a good deal while mulling over things. He who hesitates is lost!
    Here's a story for the young'ns in the collecting community that illustrates my point. Attended a Harrisburg gunshow back in the day when they were glorious and C&R filled. A good buddy was with me, on the hunt for a nice Swedish M96. We ran across one just 10 minutes into our first "round". The price was very good and the condition was excellent. But he was a patient man and wanted to finish the first round to see what else was available. So we spent the next 30 minutes eyeballing the floor. Came back around, the Swede is still there and I try to convince him to pull the trigger but he wants to think it over some more! Off we go again. This time I make up my mind that if it's still there next time around I'm buying it myself and will gift it to him. But sure enough, we come around the 3rd time and we witness the Swede being sold. Sometimes you need to trust your gut and take the leap, esp if it's not gonna stress your wallet. Just like what Abulg1972 did.

This happened to me at the MD Antique show. I walked in and immediately found a pristine - dare I say unissued - Swiss K-31 with matching pioneer bayonet. The guy wanted $749. Great price in today’s market but a little rich for me given that I hadn’t even gotten through two rows. I called a friend and he urged me to hustle back but I decided that I’d finish my first pass. I circled back to buy it and it was gone.

I wonder how this Nagant got to the US. It definitely saw some use.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    "right on, right on, right on" :)

sometimes you can actually get a really good deal from Simpson.
    But you gotta be fast... congrats on being the fastest!

Yeah, I’ve lost a few guns at Simpson by sitting on the fence. There aren’t too many deals there except, for some reason, Russian and Finnish stuff. Whoever prices them either doesn’t know current market or doesn’t care.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I am eyeing a couple of high standard 22lr. My biggest issue is at $225 for the one with handgrip issues, it really needs a new one and that’ll run about $60 or so.

The nicer one is $295...which is just a little under what a browning buckmark on sale goes for. With a warranty. And not worn. And the mags a much more expensive (even if I doubt I’d want more than 1 or maybe 2 spares)

But they are kind of cool. But I just don’t think it is worth it (either of them). If I cocould grab the nicer one for more like $250 or less...

F-Stop

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Cecil County
    I like that! I missed the boat on these also. I added one for $70 to get free shipping once snd thought, eh, I have time to get another nice one and poof! Nice Nagant.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008

That's where knowing the market and what you are looking at makes sense. Walk away it may be gone. As a side note at the York show someone was liquidating their "personal collection" (ive seen that before). They had some nice stuff but one of the items was a clean, new manufacturer or refurb Enfield like they would have come out of the wrap 15 years ago. $960. Sunday and no takers but I remember those at $100 and walked past them...………...bought a mosin, MAS and Turk Mauser instead. While the M44 has had some staying power the others were bummers.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    You know what’s irritating? I have only Soviet surplus for this, which I can’t shoot at Continental Arms because it might shoot through Teflon and set the entire place on fire so now I have to buy some commercial ammo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom