• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jroos

Jun 3, 2016
    Denied, will appeal

Good Morning,

After 90 days of patiently waiting, I received an email that they required proof of threats directed at me personally.

I applied using the "Assumed Risk Position" as I am a gov employee with clearance and part of the whole breach, etc. My supervisor, LEO spoke on my behalf, half-dozen hand written notes from Federal LEOs, 0 record, met all the criteria and still denied.

I sent letter to appeal but still worry I have no shot. I am exhausted, out 500$ for the course and also had to take a day off work to go meet with the investigator who said she more than recommended me for permit.

Thoughts? other than moving?

bsavoy

Dec 15, 2014
    Freeland, MD
    Good Morning,

After 90 days of patiently waiting, I received an email that they required proof of threats directed at me personally.

I applied using the "Assumed Risk Position" as I am a gov employee with clearance and part of the whole breach, etc. My supervisor, LEO spoke on my behalf, half-dozen hand written notes from Federal LEOs, 0 record, met all the criteria and still denied.

I sent letter to appeal but still worry I have no shot. I am exhausted, out 500$ for the course and also had to take a day off work to go meet with the investigator who said she more than recommended me for permit.

Unreal.

jroos

Jun 3, 2016
    I got the same request for police reports after about 80 days. I don't have police reports but have the clearance and everything else. I was denied but plan to appeal immediately. Have you had any luck?

highli99

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2015
    West Side
    Good Morning,

HPRB Appeal

W2D

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2015
    Escaped MD for FL
    As stated previously it has been invalidated by the licensing division. I never said it was invalid because it was not on the web. It is no longer valid AND it is has been pulled from the web. They are actively NOT honoring it as a matter of internal policy. I am not guessing this, it is a fact.

Ms Harris said at the HPRB that the SOP IS up on the website. IIRC the info on the main page got updated, so I assume the updated info is the SOP. Kind of sparse info.

New paragraphs:

MD State Police’s Informal Review
    Handgun Permit Review Board Review/Hearing
    Method 1)
    Method 2)
    Board’s Action Requirements
    Appeal Rights

https://www.dpscs.state.md.us/agencies/hprb.shtml

TheBulge

Mar 7, 2011
    "Assumed Risk Position" is probably what is getting changed in a new SOP.

Even if you clearly meet all requirements defined in the current SOP for "Assumed Risk Position" you will likely be denied by MSP unless you are a leo, a judge, or a prosecutor.

Someone is giving the order that all of these at risk government employees will not get permits, but who is it?

Best bet is to go to the HPRB, make a solid argument, and have good supporting evidence.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Ms Harris said at the HPRB that the SOP IS up on the website. IIRC the info on the main page got updated, so I assume the updated info is the SOP. Kind of sparse info.

New paragraphs:

MD State Police’s Informal Review
    Handgun Permit Review Board Review/Hearing
    Method 1)
    Method 2)
    Board’s Action Requirements
    Appeal Rights

https://www.dpscs.state.md.us/agencies/hprb.shtml
    The HPRB SOP is not the same thing as the MSP SOP.

MSP SOP matters much more to most of us because it will take forever to get before the HPRB.

campns

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2013
    Germantown, MD
    Got an email Friday asking for:

A review of your handgun permit application #123-45678 by the Maryland State Police Licensing Division Handgun Permit Unit revealed that additional information is required as follows:

1. Your business license, articles of incorporation or a tax return showing your business earnings if not licensed.

2. A letter from the company that you do firearms instruction with requesting that you be armed

If the documentation is not received in this office by July 3, 2016 your application will be disapproved.

Please return a copy of this email and the requested documentation to the Handgun Permit Unit at 1111 Reisterstown Rd., Pikesville, MD 21208. If you have further questions contact me via email.

So off goes a copy of my taxes, but as I am an independent instructor it's going to be difficult with me to come up with #2.

bsavoy

Dec 15, 2014
    Freeland, MD
    Got an email Friday asking for:

A review of your handgun permit application #123-45678 by the Maryland State Police Licensing Division Handgun Permit Unit revealed that additional information is required as follows:

1. Your business license, articles of incorporation or a tax return showing your business earnings if not licensed.

2. A letter from the company that you do firearms instruction with requesting that you be armed

If the documentation is not received in this office by July 3, 2016 your application will be disapproved.

Please return a copy of this email and the requested documentation to the Handgun Permit Unit at 1111 Reisterstown Rd., Pikesville, MD 21208. If you have further questions contact me via email.

So off goes a copy of my taxes, but as I am an independent instructor it's going to be difficult with me to come up with #2.

As an "independent instructor" couldn't you be working with many companies? Did you put on your application that you instruct for a specific company?
    Seems like a weird request. As the owner of your business aren't you the one that determined that a permit was necessary? Not necessarily the "company that you do firearms instruction with"

lonzo

Dec 8, 2015
    Moco
    Checked mail and received my permit! With one restriction, off duty hours while employed with DoD (MD only) technically, I'm always on duty, but I know what it means..and I'm ok with that since I can't carry during working hours anyway..and I work in Virginia and I'm good there anyway...

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Checked mail and received my permit! With one restriction, off duty hours while employed with DoD (MD only) technically, I'm always on duty, but I know what it means..and I'm ok with that since I can't carry during working hours anyway..and I work in Virginia and I'm good there anyway...
    Congrats

mxrider

Former MSI Treasurer
    Aug 20, 2012
    Edgewater, MD

And exactly why the MSP restrictions are so stupid. Why not just say "Restrictions: None"

It just goes to show that these are in no way tailored to the applicant.

lonzo

Dec 8, 2015
    Moco
    And exactly why the MSP restrictions are so stupid. Why not just say "Restrictions: None"

It just goes to show that these are in no way tailored to the applicant.

I wouldn't say that since the restriction is tailored to me. I'm not allowed to carry on/in federal property and they know that. Until the government changes its restrictions, this is the best I can get and I'm ok with that..tho I'll contact my congress rep and let them know that they need to change it to allow those that can, at least be allowed to have their weapon in a secure manner on federal property.

bsavoy

Dec 15, 2014
    Freeland, MD
    Received my permit yesterday. 83 days from submission. 76 days from the start date the Trooper gave me.
    Other than the entire process being a violation of my second amendment right, my expectations were exceeded.
    "Only valid while conducting business as Bad Mother F@#$%"
    Which is great because I'm never not conducting business as such.

Nobody

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2009
    Day 88 found letter in mailbox, after feeling the envelope I noticed a hard object, my permit, restrictions are normal per MD but I own 4 businesses and generally don't leave my house unless I am working, I am still appealing to HPRB soon

Nobody

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom