• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    I'm not near BWI, but I have them. ;)

The mag deal is a mail in offer, and frankly, I don't know if Springfield is offering 10-ers for MD, but will find out next week. The form says void where prohibited, "or otherwise restricted," so I think MD may not be eligible.

8-12 weeks turn around if you can get them.

http://springfieldpromo.com/

IMG_2386.jpg

The bipod is for display, and does not come with the rifle, but is available for purchase.

ajviera

Dec 25, 2015
    Avenue, MD
    Got my M1A loaded today and installed Sallak scope mount. Love it.

Attachments

• 20180525_183415.jpg
      20180525_183415.jpg
      77.7 KB · Views: 335
    • 20180525_194300.jpg
      20180525_194300.jpg
      67.8 KB · Views: 335

toppkatt

Ultimate Member
    Apr 22, 2017
    So is it just the .308/7.62 version that is banned? I'm confused. Could you have one made in .300 Savage?
    Seems to be splitting hairs if the 6.5 Creedmore is okay but not .308. But this is Maryland land of no logic.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    So is it just the .308/7.62 version that is banned? I'm confused. Could you have one made in .300 Savage?
    Seems to be splitting hairs if the 6.5 Creedmore is okay but not .308. But this is Maryland land of no logic.

The M1a/M14 is banned by name. All copycats are by extension banned. One in 6.5 creedmoor is not parts interchangeable. A 7.62/.308 cartridge is absolutely not going to fit in to the chamber of 6.5 creedmoor rifle.

.300 BO AR-15s are not banned.

The logic of banning anything is faulty. I am not going to complain that their language is not so comprehensive to ban every single thing on the market and frankly, stop complaining about it. Yes, they are stupid. They are politicians (sorry, that is a sincerely held belief of mine no matter what party they belong to).

How many people complain when they discover or find a (legal) tax loop hole they can use?

toppkatt

Ultimate Member
    Apr 22, 2017
    The logic of banning anything is faulty. their language is not so comprehensive to ban every single thing on the market and frankly, stop complaining about it.

Thanks for your reply, and sorry to have annoyed you. I will refrain from further postings in this thread.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Good shooter right out of the box, shot two real nice three shot groups getting it zeroed at 100yds. Got all shaky and sweaty right after that and it fell apart a little. A little cratering at the firing pin indentation going to measure the brass tomorrow to see how much it moved. I used Hornady ELD 140 match. group1.jpg

group.jpg

IMG_0716.JPG

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The M1a/M14 is banned by name. All copycats are by extension banned. One in 6.5 creedmoor is not parts interchangeable. A 7.62/.308 cartridge is absolutely not going to fit in to the chamber of 6.5 creedmoor rifle.

.300 BO AR-15s are not banned.

The logic of banning anything is faulty. I am not going to complain that their language is not so comprehensive to ban every single thing on the market and frankly, stop complaining about it. Yes, they are stupid. They are politicians (sorry, that is a sincerely held belief of mine no matter what party they belong to).

How many people complain when they discover or find a (legal) tax loop hole they can use?

The AG letter states a copy is if ONE part from the rifle can be swapped between the banned and the other rifle and both rifles still function, then the other one is also banned as a copy.

Thus, the barrel can be swapped between a .308 M1A and a 6.5 CM M1A, and both rifles will still function. Some make the argument that they will not function with the original ammo, but the AG opinion doesn't say that. Same with a 5.56 and .300 BO AR. Neither are listed with caliber in the ban list. Some rifles in the list ARE listed with a caliber, which would make the same rifle in a different caliber not banned.

Also, remember the MSP web site is NOT LEGALLY BINDING, it says so right on it. So them saying its not banned does not make it not banned.

But the real test is, will any MD dealer sell you one. If so, then, you are probably OK.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    The AG letter states a copy is if ONE part from the rifle can be swapped between the banned and the other rifle and both rifles still function, then the other one is also banned as a copy.

Thus, the barrel can be swapped between a .308 M1A and a 6.5 CM M1A, and both rifles will still function. Some make the argument that they will not function with the original ammo, but the AG opinion doesn't say that. Same with a 5.56 and .300 BO AR. Neither are listed with caliber in the ban list. Some rifles in the list ARE listed with a caliber, which would make the same rifle in a different caliber not banned.

Also, remember the MSP web site is NOT LEGALLY BINDING, it says so right on it. So them saying its not banned does not make it not banned.

But the real test is, will any MD dealer sell you one. If so, then, you are probably OK.

How does this align with the Polytech M14S exemption, lots of parts swap and function though most like a Cajun special with lots of duct tape and gator grease.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

No, it is that ALL parts must be interchangeable. The ammunition is not interchangeable between a .223/5.56 AR-15 and one chambered in .300BO.

Not every part in the M-14S Polytech are interchangeable.

As with the .223 vs .300BO ARs, the 6.5CM M1a, the ammunition is not interchangeable with a 7.62 M1a which is banned.

If it was that one part interchanged and it still worked anything that can take an AR-15 grip would be banned.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    How does this align with the Polytech M14S exemption, lots of parts swap and function though most like a Cajun special with lots of duct tape and gator grease.

Polytech is not an M1A, so not banned by name.

Not all the parts directly interchange. Some threads on Polytech are metric, and the bolts do not swap without some work.

AG letter says you pull part X (any part) out of rifle A and put it into rifle B, and rifle B works. And the part you took out of B, goes into A, and it works.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    No, it is that ALL parts must be interchangeable. The ammunition is not interchangeable between a .223/5.56 AR-15 and one chambered in .300BO.

Not every part in the M-14S Polytech are interchangeable.

As with the .223 vs .300BO ARs, the 6.5CM M1a, the ammunition is not interchangeable with a 7.62 M1a which is banned.

If it was that one part interchanged and it still worked anything that can take an AR-15 grip would be banned.

Since when is ammunition a PART of a firearm????

The ban lists DOES NOT LIST CALIBER FOR MOST RIFLES, but it DOES so for SOME.

The PART is not banned, the RIFLE is banned, if you can take ANY one part off of one and put it in the second one. So, technically, if you made an AR-15 that all parts EXCEPT the grip were interchangeable, but the grips did not, then the new one would NOT be a copy and banned.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Since when is ammunition a PART of a firearm????

The ban lists DOES NOT LIST CALIBER FOR MOST RIFLES, but it DOES so for SOME.

The PART is not banned, the RIFLE is banned, if you can take ANY one part off of one and put it in the second one. So, technically, if you made an AR-15 that all parts EXCEPT the grip were interchangeable, but the grips did not, then the new one would NOT be a copy and banned.

I think the way you are saying it is wrong. I think you mean all parts have to be interchangeable. Not that any one part can interchange.

And yes, all parts would need to and for the function to remain the same. There are any number of springs that I can fit in an 1898 Gewehr’s bolt, but many would not allow it to function correctly, but they’d fit. I could put a .30-06 bolt in one, because they’ve made .30-06 Mausers, but it wouldn’t be a Gewehr 1898 any longer as it wouldn’t properly chamber 8mm mauser.

At the time, what was marketed as an AR-15 was .223/5.56. There are many ARs and there were several at the time, but of the few chambered in not .223/5.56, almost none were marketed as AR-15.

And the provision contains exceptions for a Colt HBAR Sporter.

In this case, I don’t beleive Springfield is even marketing the 6.5CM version as M1a by name. And if you swap the barrels I can guarantee .308/7.62 will not then chamber in the rifle and the M1a is a 7.62 rifle.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    I think the way you are saying it is wrong. I think you mean all parts have to be interchangeable. Not that any one part can interchange.

And yes, all parts would need to and for the function to remain the same. There are any number of springs that I can fit in an 1898 Gewehr’s bolt, but many would not allow it to function correctly, but they’d fit. I could put a .30-06 bolt in one, because they’ve made .30-06 Mausers, but it wouldn’t be a Gewehr 1898 any longer as it wouldn’t properly chamber 8mm mauser.

At the time, what was marketed as an AR-15 was .223/5.56. There are many ARs and there were several at the time, but of the few chambered in not .223/5.56, almost none were marketed as AR-15.

In this case, I don’t beleive Springfield is even marketing the 6.5CM version as M1a by name. And if you swap the barrels I can guarantee .308/7.62 will not then chamber in the rifle and the M1a is a 7.62 rifle.

Yes they are marketing it as an M1A.

https://www.springfield-armory.com/products/m1a-loaded-6-5-creedmoor/

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

Again, if the rifle is banned without a caliber listing, how can you say that a different caliber is legal?

As for the parts thing, I think we are saying a similar thing. I am saying that you can take any part from one to interchange with the other. If you interchange ALL parts, you just moved the position of the rifle. :D

So part X from rifle A will interchange with part X from rifle B and both sitll function. Or part Y, or part Z, etc. But if you have to interchange two parts to make it work, X AND Y work, but only X or only Y does not work, then it is not a copy.

This is how I see the AG letter.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Again, if the rifle is banned without a caliber listing, how can you say that a different caliber is legal?

As for the parts thing, I think we are saying a similar thing. I am saying that you can take any part from one to interchange with the other. If you interchange ALL parts, you just moved the position of the rifle. :D

So part X from rifle A will interchange with part X from rifle B and both sitll function. Or part Y, or part Z, etc. But if you have to interchange two parts to make it work, X AND Y work, but only X or only Y does not work, then it is not a copy.

This is how I see the AG letter.

Because a .300BO AR isn’t really an AR-15. Nor is a 5.7 AR. And a 9MM AR certainly isn’t. The lower is different on a couple of those and for the .300BO, the barrel can physically interchange, but they still don’t function the same.

A 6.5 or 6.8 AR really isn’t because you have different bolt heads and magazines too.

MSP, who I assume ask either AG questions or have regulatory staff who are supposed to be skilled in interpreting MD laws say if it is a different caliber, it’s okay. There have been no letters sent out to FFLs saying they are doing something wrong. FFLs who’s business and freedom are on the line are selling them. Heck, MSP has started to issue approvals to AK-74 “copies”.

Just saying.

(I guess with the M1a, despite the marketing MSP interpreted the ban as only covering 7.62 versions as at the time of the ban and earlier restriction, the M1a was only a 7.62 rifle).

It may matter for me some day, but at least right now all my ARs except my pistol wear heavy barrels cause that’s how I roll. I wish there wasn’t the stupid ban, because I would love to build an ultralight AR-15 in 14.5 pinned configuration, but frankly my 16” minimalist with HBAR barrel and red dot tips the scales at 6lbs 9-10oz with sling, unloaded. That’s not as light as my M1 carbine, but it is still pretty dang light and handy. If I really care to shed more weight I could probably pick up a fluted HBAR Barrel for it to shed another 4-5oz and a titanium comp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom