• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Song Dog

Jan 2, 2013
    Eastern Shore -Delmarva
    I looking for a "roll call" of members here who might hunt or would hunt McKee Beshers WMA (1900 acres) in Poolvesville area of Montgomery County.

This property was the old "Casey farm" purchased almost 40 years ago with Pittman Robertson" funds excise taxes on guns and ammo. DNR is in the process of writing future regulation for WMA's. The property is accessed by Hunting Quarter Rd (Montgomery County RD not DNR) that has deteriorated
    and eroded so badly in certain section almost a hazard to enter the WMA.

Some influence will needed to be mustered by "users" to raise the level with DNR and Montgomery Co. to repair some sections of the road. Some of the erosion has created 2 to 3 foot drop off's on the road that can cause severe damage to your vehicle.

DNR does not allow rifles in McKee Beshers WMA while they do on similar WMA's throughout the State. The real reason for this is unknown other than safety. Montgomery County regulations Do allow rifles for hunting below .25 caliber. Now if you hunt on private land next to McKee's could can use a rifle for small game hunting,varmint and predator hunting BUT not on McKee's that we all paid for with our excise taxes on guns & ammo MD DNR receives from the Feds from our purchases. Deer hunting in McKee's by firearm won't change other than slug and muzzle loaders. A few here have spoken of an interest of getting into predator or small game hunting while McKee's is the largest WMA in central region of Maryland.

Lately, I've been the one man band discussing these points with DNR and further assistance from others who use or might want to use McKee's to hunt predators and small game with a rifle could assist in conveying your response by E-mail to DNR.

Please E-mail Ken Dloughy at DNR Wildlife & Heritage, Manager for MeKee Besher's kdloughy@dnr.state.md.us note in subject "Mckee Beshers" just a brief simmary you request the use of "rifles" be allowed for small game hunting and predator hunting in McKee Beshers afforded other WMA's managed by DNR and needed repairs of Hunting Quater Rd by Montgomery County.

I hope with all we done to influence the anti gun bills in Annapolis this on the scheme of things very small in comparison so hope we can influence reconsideration of current policy.

Later this year, DNR will be seeking public comment on the formation of regulation and policy of our WMA's so sooner we react to this the better before status quo prevails.

Thanks,

Song Dog

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    Montgomery County regulations Do allow rifles for hunting below .25 caliber.
    I was not aware of that.
    I do know if you shoot OUTSIDE the designated line (Brighton Dam Rd. all the way west to the Potomac,)
    it is .25 max and no full metal jacketed ammo - for target.
    Sidebar_ I don't advocate shooting a rabbit with a rifle.
    Clearly the .25 restriction won't involve deer.

On 2nd NOTE: I am against fixing the road.
    I am for walking in and hunting far away from lazy asses
    and late boys. I say let the road go bad.
    There is a handicap access at Patuxent, don't feed me any crap about
    handicap hunting.

Afrikeber

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Urbana, Md.
    I know the area well. I scouted the entire wooded and agricultural plots through the different seasons. Not much small game except for squirrel and should note that the area is flooded during certain times of the year to attact fowl and geese. Plenty of deer though.

A lot of bird watchers, teenagers and hunting dog trainers during the warm seasons so safety is a concern when stalking game. Yes the road sucks but as mentioned keeps the idiots away as much as possible. For some reason I've run into some very strange people back in the tree lines. A teenager who asked me to help him catch snakes, a middle aged guy walking around in a ghellie suit with no weapon, two guys getting it on in an old rusted school bus near the C and O canal where the property line ends.

I just don't think it's a good spot for what your intending but perhaps it has changed for the better.

Wheaton Hills Sportsman

Jan 27, 2012
    I hunt there all the time, it is the only place in the state where I have run into a lot of real bird watchers and wild life photographers. I don't mind the shotgun only rule, I have shot 4 groundhogs there with a shotgun [the secret is to sneak up on where you see them and then sit still and quiet, they'll be back, then one shot with #2 shot and Bob's your uncle] and I have taken a few rabbits and many, many squirrels there and least 4 deer. So I don't really need a rifle there. I am not against rimfire hunting, but the place is pretty flat so you need to be careful. I would like the road improved though.

clay_shooter

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 27, 2011
    MoCo
    I'm pretty much ok with the shotgun only rule. The terrain doesn't really favor rifle hunting and there can be traffic in there even in the winter. It is pretty cool that there is such a big piece of hunting land where it is.

I hunted ducks one time back in there. We stood in chest deep water in the dark for a couple hours. I got one and they guy I went with didn't get any. I never got invited back because I'm not much of an outdoors man or because I talk too much. <oh>

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    Even .22LR?
    I guess if it's a head shot.
    It would be nice to have one of those varmint rifles -
    .22 on top .410 on bottom (if i'm not mistaken?)
    pick your poison.

Snviswasam

Nov 24, 2013
    Maryland
    rusty bus ?

Me and my buddy have been trying to look for this bus a couple of old timers told us that ppl duck hunt out this bus and we wanted to try our hand at it but we had no luck in finding it . Can anyone give me any detailed map or way to get to it ? thank'

Duke6017

Jan 9, 2014
    I agree that rimfire rifles should be allowed at Mckee Beshers, as well as all state public lands. As a coonhunter that runs hounds and occasionally shoots out the coon, a .22 lr is really the only efficient weapon to do so.

Also, Mckee Beshers allows trapping by permit only during the trapping season. Recently there have been signs up around the property that trapping was taking place. Obviously as a hunter and outdoorsman, I have no issues with trapping what so ever. However, the traps being used are bucket traps on dry land with conibears at about 8" in diameter. This style of trap has killed many of dogs. I would imagine there are other hunters using Mckee Beshers for training bird dogs, beagles, or hounds. If you would like to see the conibear sets be limited to under water sets only please contact me at

Cory.Dukehart@sugarloafmountaincoonhunters.com

Sugarloaf Mountain Coonhunters Association will be putting together a letter to submit to the DNR about this and the more dog clubs/people we have listed on our side the better.

Ruger556

Jan 10, 2012
    Central Maryland
    I'm ok with the shotgun/muzzleloader only but...I've hunted there many years now and have taken several deer but the hunter population has exploded recently...so...I'm finished hunting there. Good Luck with your endeavors....

HazyDayz

Jul 17, 2014
    Washington County
    I'm interestedin the area for dove mostly, and potentially some other small game like rabbit and squirrel. Haven't been out to check it out yet though. Have there been any improvements?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom