When do you use the sunshade on the scope?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    As the question states, when and what for? Is it on bright sunny days? Hunting with the sun rising in front of you? Making your scope look more proportional to your rifle? Helping with mirage off the barrel?

Been giving it some thought.

Q

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    So, for most shooting, you wouldn't put it on. I would think it would reduce the light gathering ability of the optic.

Q

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    So, for most shooting, you wouldn't put it on. I would think it would reduce the light gathering ability of the optic.

Q

You'd be mistaken. The scope only sees a narrow angle of the area in front of it. The shade keeps out extra light that can cause glare.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    I usually keep mine on all the time unless I need extra room in my case. Keeping them on all the time also reduces the chances of misplacing the sunshade. I have a couple floating around and have no idea which scope they go to or if I even own those scopes anymore. I'm pretty much done buying rifles but the scope swapping game is fun. Upgrade when then the others go down the chain. It's also a good reason to get out to the range and re-zero some neglected rifles.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    I usually keep mine on all the time unless I need extra room in my case. Keeping them on all the time also reduces the chances of misplacing the sunshade. I have a couple floating around and have no idea which scope they go to or if I even own those scopes anymore. I'm pretty much done buying rifles but the scope swapping game is fun. Upgrade when then the others go down the chain. It's also a good reason to get out to the range and re-zero some neglected rifles.

...and it helps protect the objective lens against physical damage, whether from a branch, mishandling, or whatever. I'd rather ruin a shade than a lens.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I usually keep mine on all the time unless I need extra room in my case. Keeping them on all the time also reduces the chances of misplacing the sunshade. I have a couple floating around and have no idea which scope they go to or if I even own those scopes anymore.

THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom