• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dagamant

Jan 13, 2009
    Hey guys, my dad has a Colt Law Enforcement carbine that he does not want any more and his local FFA told him that he could not transfer because it is classed as an assault weapon and a transfer is treated the same as a sale in MD. Is there anything we can do to make this gun transferable?

MDlocal

Jan 11, 2013
    Frederick
    Is there anything we can do to make this gun transferable?
    Invent a time machine and go back at least 20 years and stop Marylanders from going down the failed road that we've been on that led to a father not being able to give a rifle to his son.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    Hey guys, my dad has a Colt Law Enforcement carbine that he does not want any more and his local FFA told him that he could not transfer because it is classed as an assault weapon and a transfer is treated the same as a sale in MD. Is there anything we can do to make this gun transferable?
    What does your dad want to do with it? Just get rid of it? Many Md FFLs will take it and sell it out of state.

He could also transfer it to an FFL out of state.

I think you can someday inherit it, but others smarter than I (everyone) can opine on that.

R1Peacock

Jan 8, 2013
    Carroll County, MD
    A few points.....

*Did your dad purchase the rifle as a regulated firearm?
    *Unfortunately if it was regulated it can be transferred (in Maryland) only upon death (if inherited).
    *He can sell it in another state.
    *Is it classified as an HBAR?

BigBoiB

Jun 4, 2013
    MoCo, Md.... for now!
    hope this isn't a threadjack....

Can the barrel be changed so that it is legal to transfer? Is it something a local FFL could do and then 'register' it as an HBAR?

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    hope this isn't a threadjack....

Can the barrel be changed so that it is legal to transfer? Is it something a local FFL could do and then 'register' it as an HBAR?

I'm gonna have to say no, once a receiver is transferred as regulated its always regulated.

gabe72

Ultimate Member
    Aug 26, 2012
    sharpsburg
    I beleive it can be made into an hbar,sold as an hbar in md with a receipt showing it in hbar configuration but then the new owner would have to keep it as an hbar while in md.it makes your head want to explode thinking about it.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    I'm gonna have to say no, once a receiver is transferred as regulated its always regulated.

Seriously. This "once regulated, always regulated" mentality has to die. That is simply not the case.

I beleive it can be made into an hbar,sold as an hbar in md with a receipt showing it in hbar configuration but then the new owner would have to keep it as an hbar while in md.it makes your head want to explode thinking about it.

:cool:

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Colt used to stamp a lot of guns as LE guns, sounds like it likely isn't an HBAR but can't be sure. Did you check the top of the barrel for an HBAR marking?

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Seriously. This "once regulated, always regulated" mentality has to die. That is simply not the case.

:cool:

I would be reluctant to sell something otherwise. You want MSP to have a paper trail on the firearm that doesn't lead to you.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    I would be reluctant to sell something otherwise. You want MSP to have a paper trail on the firearm that doesn't lead to you.

Right. Which is why you wouldn't sell a gun to an out of state person you did a 77r on, correct? I mean, MSP wouldn't have a "paper trail" in that situation, either, right? Once your name goes into the system on a 77r, that firearm is never taken off your name. There are a multitude of legal ways do dispose of a firearm that the MSP would not have a "paper trail" on.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central

They couldn't justify their out dated awful database in a true court case anyway. I wouldn't be overly concerned with it.

I'm expecting the database to be updated soon as it is going to be critical in going after charges for "failing to register" from new residents.

It's a Swiss cheese system currently.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Worst case I think would be to sell it through a FFL on consignment if he really does want to get rid of it and it can't be transferred otherwise.

aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD

why not buy it from him and have him will it to you?

mbz300sdl

Gone living free now!!!
    Apr 12, 2010
    South Carolina
    Right. Now it's "once regulated, always banned". :cool:

Nope by that logic back when 15-22s etc where regulated then someone can't sell it BS go to an FFL if wrongly regulated have the new owner fill out a 4473 then you have a federal paper trail that you no longer own the gun end of story same with when shops sold the Siaga shotguns as regulated

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom