• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    Has me wondering now about the AK build parties I used to read about. One guy has a press and jigs, another the spot welder for the rails, you bring your own flat and do the work. Same situation as far as the legality of using another's tools? I never bought a flat nor took part, but I wondered.

Dec 29, 2018
    Baltimore County
    I'd be interested in trading my compact jig for another size jig, such as the compact longslide...

Not sure there'd be any legal issues there. Though you can find the jigs on ebay, not sure anyone is trying to police that...

Though OP didn't respond, I'm assuming they're looking for the AR-15 jig. I'm not even sure if you can get a polymer 80 frame without a jig, it seems to be standard issue. Most AR lowers don't include a jig, and the "nice" ones can be expensive. I'm interested in trying an 80% lower for an AR, but I think the jigs can cost more than the lower.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    It seems trading the jigs is equal cost/value exchange....not loaning nor renting the means to build a lower.

I have been debating the cost of an 80% jig. Mostly for the cutting of barrel beds on a 100% frame. But when I read of problems with the frames and it looks as if this whole 80% thing is going to be attacked even for possession (see New Jersey) I just pass up on the opportunities. Not only that, but I am looking at mills real serious so that would circumvent any need for one. When erring on the side of caution...one could buy many, many jigs and tools for the cost of one defense attorney.

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    It seems trading the jigs is equal cost/value exchange....not loaning nor renting the means to build a lower.

I have been debating the cost of an 80% jig. Mostly for the cutting of barrel beds on a 100% frame. But when I read of problems with the frames and it looks as if this whole 80% thing is going to be attacked even for possession (see New Jersey) I just pass up on the opportunities. Not only that, but I am looking at mills real serious so that would circumvent any need for one. When erring on the side of caution...one could buy many, many jigs and tools for the cost of one defense attorney.

or a good mill and the tools to go with it...
    personally I look for the jigs to go way up in price some have
    already started... get some 6" sewer pipe throw a cap on one
    end and clean-out on the other... put it in the ground..

it's gonna get interesting to see how all this plays out, gonna
    be a lot of criminals all of a sudden, and if you a charged I guess
    no government type job for you, or some other people, less people
    paying taxes.. interesting ...domino effect..

-Rock

jjones88

Apr 4, 2013
    Sykesville
    Going to be some crazy BGOS if the 80% thing passes.... Every steel tube sold is a possible sten/sterling/cz-26.

If loaning a jig is enough to get you targeted, everyone with a box of aluminum or someone who buys copper pipe is screwed if they give it to someone else.

1ceman

Dec 26, 2013
    If selling an 80% lower is legal let's apply this to the jig too....

So what if a person rented 80% "of a jig"? And you had to buy the screws and bits?.

Got to be creative.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Not battered gun owner syndrome. Rather cautious in light of the behavior observed through posts and not just on this forum.
    - Some have bought double digit numbers of brands x, y and z receivers. Where do these guns end up? I know they are to remain with the owner but I can imagine how that goes when the enthusiasm dies. It is already occuring. Its in the news.
    - The ATF has always suggested serializing the home made receiver...not typically done.
    - Finishing the receiver to have an off the books firearm. Then posting that intention, bright bulbs there. Got news for you, if you did paperwork on one, they will tear your place apart looking for more if ‘they’ determine you could have more. The spirit of the law is in pursuit of the hobby one may build their own serialized receiver/part, not to circumvent tracking. But I understand the growing distrust of our government.

No one is more passionate about firearm ownership and free use than I am.
    I understand virtually all of the membership doing the 80% thing are enthusiasts and hobbyists. Great...carry on, love reading about it. It is just I am watching with jaundiced eye. And still debating doing it.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Wasn't the issue the feds had about using someone else's mill to manufacture a completed lower, primarily with using the CNC program? The CNC finishing parties became "manufacturing parties". I think that is the reason some were busted. I don't see any issue with selling, renting or giving away tools, jigs or bits as they are nothing more than a tool, so long as they are not associated with a CNC program. I could just as easily do the same with tools used to work on an automobile. Maybe I'm not seeing something here or maybe too many are reading too much into the issue? I don't have any 80% stuff, primarily because it is much cheaper to buy a completely machined receiver from a manufacturer who has known quality and a warranty. YRMV.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I remember that. BATFE’s position is renting or selling the program is manufacturing because it was the program doing ‘the work’ and the individual taking possession of the receiver didn’t do it with their equipment on their property.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom