• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • steveh326

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2012
    Mt. Airy
    yikes... If I woke up in the morning and encountered that thing, my widow would have to deal with it and my body after my heart attack.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Very carefully.

I set a 18"x10" glue board immediately next to it using a rake handle and "guided" it on the board with the business end of the rake. Whatever adhesive they use on them is pretty damned effective - instant immobilization.

Now that's prepared. You had a glue board handy? I've seen mouse sized ones but didn't realize they made them that big.

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    Now that's prepared. You had a glue board handy? I've seen mouse sized ones but didn't realize they made them that big.

Luckily, I had a few extra laying around from when we had a trapper take care of a few other copperheads that kept hanging around outside a couple of years ago. I just ordered more from Amazon, in the case that they are needed again at some point. We keep a rake just outside the patio door, as the perimeter around the patio and by the pool pump shed is where we've encountered them previously. Aside from this one, we've only seen one other this year and it was outside, so our efforts to make the property around the house less appealing to them may be paying off somewhat. After you seem them close to the house a few times, it definitely gets in your head to have some useful materials around JIC.

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    OHHHHHHHHHH NOOO NO NO NO
    camelback crickets scare me

Those spider crickets? Yeah screw them. Last house was lousy with them. I fixed some of the entry issues and did a lot of judicious eradication with wasp spray, a boat and some girly screams upon occasion and after about a year I’d find a dead one about once a week (thank you cats!) and a love one maybe once a month.

Rather than half a dozen a day.

Those things are creepy AF. Glad to say that is one bug that we haven't seen around too frequently here.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    So, Ms. 308Scout discovered this in our bedroom upon waking up this morning. I saw her jump back and let out a healthy "WTF" before I jolted out of bed. Fortunately, I was able to trap it and neither of us or our dog were bitten. A local wildlife service/trapper is coming out to collect it and do a thorough inspection for possible entry points to the house later today. Unfortunately, our locale is fairly thick with copperheads. Today I was reminded that adrenaline is a far more effective wake-up call than caffeine.

Nope nope nope!

OMCHamlin

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    May 17, 2017
    The Cumberland Plateau
    Killed one 3' from back door 4 years ago. Than found out against the law.
    So wife bought snake tongs next year had good size one in yard got
    put it in bucket with lid. Call DNR thinking they would relocate big
    NO.

Well, then that's a damn stupid law, and I would be a poison snake killing law breaker...

gun_nut

Dec 9, 2018
    Yea, I don't think I would have stopped to take the pic. Maybe after, but it would have been a pic of the hole in my floor from the 12GA. I don't mind snakes, but some of them are just not going to be allowed to live after coming in the house. Hahaha.

ralph.mclean

GOC (Grumpy Old Cop)
    Jan 27, 2018
    Edgewater, MD
    All you guys, and gals, are making me rethink the standby deployment of my home protection guns........ I'm not big on snakes, but not all that afraid of them, but I probably would have made some type of hole in something, .45 ACP sized...

BuildnBurn

Professional Pyro
    Oct 25, 2012
    Frederick County
    There would have been a 9mm hole or 10 in the wall and floor. It may be illegal to kill them but that is outside of my home as far as I'm concerned, not in the house.

I wonder if copperhead tastes as good as rattlesnake?

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    So, Ms. 308Scout discovered this in our bedroom upon waking up this morning. I saw her jump back and let out a healthy "WTF" before I jolted out of bed. Fortunately, I was able to trap it and neither of us or our dog were bitten. A local wildlife service/trapper is coming out to collect it and do a thorough inspection for possible entry points to the house later today. Unfortunately, our locale is fairly thick with copperheads. Today I was reminded that adrenaline is a far more effective wake-up call than caffeine.

Holy ... !

Thank heavens no one 2- or 4-legged got bit!

Wow just, wow!

And to think how “relieved” I was this past Sat night when I caught this rather thick specimen heading across the road toward our lakehouse which was teeming with 12 adults and 10 kids and 2 dogs ... (both terrier mixes had been walked in the immediate area less than an hour before this encounter ...)

BE61C556-6CCC-4E03-A6A2-FED341F422FE.jpeg

7E2B4BA9-2566-4997-995D-EC2ADA4F9DB4.jpeg

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    Holy ... !

Thank heavens no one 2- or 4-legged got bit!

Wow just, wow!

And to think how “relieved” I was this past Sat night when I caught this rather thick specimen heading across the road toward our lakehouse which was teeming with 12 adults and 10 kids and 2 dogs ... (both terrier mixes had been walked in the immediate area less than an hour before this encounter ...)

View attachment 291203

View attachment 291204

Damn! That looks like a very (formerly) healthy one. Not worth the risk.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Killed one 3' from back door 4 years ago. Than found out against the law.
    So wife bought snake tongs next year had good size one in yard got
    put it in bucket with lid. Call DNR thinking they would relocate big
    NO.

You should have just relocated it to DNR headquarters.....

Park ranger

Ultimate Member
    Dec 6, 2015
    Relocation of snakes doesn't do well, they say they wont find a hibernaculum. If your taking a snake 10 miles you may as well go ahead and kill it.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    Relocation of snakes doesn't do well, they say they wont find a hibernaculum. If your taking a snake 10 miles you may as well go ahead and kill it.

First of all, I readily admit, I HAD TO LOOK THAT TERM UP! :lol: :thumbsup:

Secondly, solution? I can have fun thinking of places I’d like to build these (he-he)!
    Step By Step How To Build A Hibernaculum: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcvAZ1-xs3A

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom