• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    Mehh. Just let me hunt on any given Sunday during the season - with presently legal firearms - and I’ll double the deer I usually kill to keep the population in control...

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    350 Legend (:innocent0), 450 bushmaster...some others including 45-70

But I am mostly looking at 350 legend or 450 bushmaster upper. Since I have a 9mm suppressor that will hold up to 350 legend, I am mostly looking at that.

https://gundigest.com/gear-ammo/ammunition/caliber-choice-straight-walled-cartridge-resurgence

I bought a used Ruger American 450 Bushmaster a few months ago. I bought a couple of boxes of factory ammo to get the brass so I could reload it.

I bought a box of 225 gr. FTX last month and just reloaded the brass with it last week. I used the minimum load from the Hornady manual with Lil' Gun powder and was very happy with the results. I have it zeroed at 2 inches high and should be good to around 200 yards. I have to test that shot when I get a chance (I have to put a new tranny in my truck first).

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    I looked at the volume published on May 8 and the only DNR topics covered are related to fisheries. I think any rule changes will get published at the end of June when they normally announce the hunting season dates, but someone correct me if I'm wrong.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    http://www.dsd.state.md.us/MDR/4712/Assembled.htm#_Toc41986268

08.03.01 General
    The purpose of this action is to amend Regulation .01 to define two new terms, namely “primitive weapon” and “straight-walled cartridge”. Primitive weapon will be defined as a vertical long bow, vertical recurve bow, or other vertical bow that does not use wheels, cams, or other mechanical devices that aid in the drawing of the bow string or the holding of a drawn bow, a flintlock, or a percussion cap sidelock muzzle loading firearm. Straight-walled cartridge will be defined as a bullet casing with straight walls all the way to the projectile used as ammunition for a handgun or rifle while hunting. These definitions will be used in other wildlife hunting regulations.
    08.03.04 Forest Wildlife The purpose of this action is to clarify the use of certain devices to hunt deer. COMAR 08.03.04.05 is amended to allow the use of straight-walled cartridges for hunting deer with a rifle or handgun in certain counties. Another amendment clarifies that, during the days when the deer muzzle loading hunting season and deer archery season overlap, a hunter may possess only one weapon while hunting. A third amendment describes the restrictions for the use of primitive weapons during the February deer muzzle loading and archery seasons.
    D. Firearms — Restrictions. In the counties listed below, an individual may hunt deer with a rifle or handgun, [although an air gun, a muzzle loading shotgun, a muzzle loading handgun, or a muzzle loading revolver may be used] employing a straight-walled cartridge, a shotgun, an air gun, a muzzle loading rifle, a muzzle loading shotgun, a muzzle loading handgun, or a muzzle loading revolver:
    (1) — (13) (text unchanged)
    E. In that portion of Frederick County located west of the Monocacy River beginning where Fingerboard Road crosses the river, then by and with the west side of the Monocacy River to the crossing by Biggs Ford Road, then by and with the south side of Biggs Ford Road to the junction with Route 15, then by and with the west side of Route 15 to the junction with Sundays Lane, then by and with the south side of Sundays Lane to the junction with Bloomfield Road, then by and with the east side of Bloomfield Road to the junction with Opossumtown Pike, then by and with the south side of Opossumtown Pike to the junction with Walter Martz Road, then by and with the east side of Walter Martz Road to the junction with Christopher’s Crossing, then by and with the south side of Christopher’s Crossing to the junction with Walter Martz Road, then by and with the south side of Walter Martz Road to the junction with Rocky Springs Road, then by and with the south and east side of Rocky Springs Road to the junction with Kemp Lane, then by and with the east side of Kemp Lane to the junction with Shookstown Road, then by and with the north side of Shookstown Road to the junction with Bowers Road, then by and with the east side of Bowers Road to the junction West Patrick Street, then by and with the north side of West Patrick Street to the junction with Blentlinger Road, then by and with the east side of Blentlinger Road to the junction with Old National Pike, then by and with the south side of Old National Pike to the junction with Maryland Interstate 70, then by and with the north side of Maryland Interstate 70 to the junction with Route 15, then by and with the east side of Route 15 to the junction with Mt. Zion Road, then by and with the north side of Mt. Zion Road to the junction with Elmer Derr Road, and then by and with the north side of Elmer Derr Road to the junction with New Design Road, then by and with the east side of New Design Road to the junction with Manor Woods Road, then by and with the north side of Manor Woods Road to the junction with Buckystown Pike, then by and with the east side of Buckystown Pike to the junction with Fingerboard Road, and then by and with the north side of Fingerboard Road to the crossing over the Monocacy River, an individual may hunt deer with a rifle, [although a handgun, a shotgun, a muzzle loading rifle, a muzzle loading shotgun, a muzzle loading handgun, or a muzzle loading revolver may be used] employing a straight-walled cartridge, a handgun, a shotgun, a muzzle loading rifle, a muzzle loading shotgun, a muzzle loading handgun, or a muzzle loading revolver.
    Note that the unchanged portion is:
    (1) Anne Arundel;
    (2) Baltimore;
    (3) Calvert;
    (4) Charles;
    (5) Harford;
    (6) Howard;
    (7) Kent;
    (8) Montgomery;
    (9) Prince George's;
    (10) Queen Anne's;
    (11) St. Mary's;
    (12) Talbot; and
    (13) In Worcester:
    (a) Within 1 mile of any school;
    (b) That portion of South Point lying south of a line beginning at the west end of the Sinepuxent Bay bridge on State Route 611, then by and with the south side of Route 611 to the junction of the South Point road going south for a distance of 0.6 miles to a point opposite the southern boundary of the Ocean City Golf and Yacht Club property on the west side of the road, then by the southern boundary of the Ocean City Golf and Yacht Club to Trappe Creek; and
    (c) That portion of the lands lying south of a line beginning at the mouth of the St. Martin River northwest to the junction with Shingle Landing Road, then by and with the south side of Shingle Landing Road to the junction with Route 113, then by and with the east side of Route 113 to the junction with Route 589, then by and with the east side of Route 589 to the junction with Route 50, then by and with the north side of Route 50 to the junction with Assawoman Bay, then by and with the west boundary of Assawoman Bay to the junction with St. Martin River.

... so the regulation have been effectively amended to allow rifles with straight walled cartridges in central MD.

:party29:

For clarity the new rules 08.03.04.05 D wpould read:

D. Firearms — Restrictions. In the counties listed below, an individual may hunt deer with a rifle or handgun employing a straight-walled cartridge, a shotgun, an air gun, a muzzle loading rifle, a muzzle loading shotgun, a muzzle loading handgun, or a muzzle loading revolver::
    (1) Anne Arundel;
    (2) Baltimore;
    (3) Calvert;
    (4) Charles;
    (5) Harford;
    (6) Howard;
    (7) Kent;
    (8) Montgomery;
    (9) Prince George's;
    (10) Queen Anne's;
    (11) St. Mary's;
    (12) Talbot; and
    (13) In Worcester:
    (a) Within 1 mile of any school;
    (b) That portion of South Point lying south of a line beginning at the west end of the Sinepuxent Bay bridge on State Route 611, then by and with the south side of Route 611 to the junction of the South Point road going south for a distance of 0.6 miles to a point opposite the southern boundary of the Ocean City Golf and Yacht Club property on the west side of the road, then by the southern boundary of the Ocean City Golf and Yacht Club to Trappe Creek; and
    (c) That portion of the lands lying south of a line beginning at the mouth of the St. Martin River northwest to the junction with Shingle Landing Road, then by and with the south side of Shingle Landing Road to the junction with Route 113, then by and with the east side of Route 113 to the junction with Route 589, then by and with the east side of Route 589 to the junction with Route 50, then by and with the north side of Route 50 to the junction with Assawoman Bay, then by and with the west boundary of Assawoman Bay to the junction with St. Martin River.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    I don't read anything there regarding the season. Will it be it's own season or part of overall rifle season?

Part of overall firearms season. The seasons are also posted in the MD register. I only looked at the one date I care about... Sept 11th start of bow season. :party29:
    I already have my scary evil black 350 legend upper built to go on my scary evil AR lower. :party29::party29:

What I like about 350 legend is that i have 2 9mm suppressors that can handle it.

:party29::party29::party29:

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    My written comments were in favor of not only allowing the straight wall cartridges, but also to expand it to all shotgun counties.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    They added Feb 1 - 3 as primitive weapon days. Primitive weapon is a non-compound bow or flint lock or percussion cap muzzle loader that doesn't load from the breach. The rifle can't have a scope. I think they might have added some Sunday hunting but the document refers to a "Sunday counties" list that might not be published yet. My comments were in favor of straight walled cartridges and a total elimination of the awful Sunday hunting ban.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    They added Feb 1 - 3 as primitive weapon days. Primitive weapon is a non-compound bow or flint lock or percussion cap muzzle loader that doesn't load from the breach. The rifle can't have a scope. I think they might have added some Sunday hunting but the document refers to a "Sunday counties" list that might not be published yet. My comments were in favor of straight walled cartridges and a total elimination of the awful Sunday hunting ban.

DNR does not have the authority to change Sunday hunting. Sunday hunting is specifically in the statute, by county, and has to be changed by the entire assembly.

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    Damn, I am regretting my custom built 458 socom rather than doing 450 Bushmaster or 50 Beo! I submitted comments and contacted a few legislators I know asking for support, but I did not see Marylandistan being reasonable on this one. I guess I need to tell my wife "congratulations!" (because we are having another gun).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom