• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DDShooter

May 13, 2020
    Wonder if it would be a good idea to do grocery shopping today.

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    There is a protest walk in Olney today at 2:00. The walk is on Rt.108 from the East and West and ending up at the Georgia Avenue intersection. Given the area and the demographics, hopefully it will be pretty quiet. But traffic at 108 & Georgia Avenue (97) may be a problem around 3:00-4:00.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    One now at Cabin John Middle School. Lot of cops considering the part of county.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Not going to lie, I had never heard of Juneteenth before recent. New to anyone else?

xZKO61b.jpg

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    There is a protest walk in Olney today at 2:00. The walk is on Rt.108 from the East and West and ending up at the Georgia Avenue intersection. Given the area and the demographics, hopefully it will be pretty quiet. But traffic at 108 & Georgia Avenue (97) may be a problem around 3:00-4:00.

Saw a huge hildabeast at the corner of 108 and Georgia Ave last weekend with a BLM and "destroy white supremacy" sign.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Not going to lie, I had never heard of Juneteenth before recent. New to anyone else?

Juneteenth was a big thing in Texas where it originated. It has been going national for years.

I first heard of it when I moved to Texas in 1979. I have been a little confused by it gaining so much attention outside of Texas, so I did a little research. It has had some national following since the 1920s, but kind of slipped into the background during the civil rights era of the 50s and 60s, I suppose because there were bigger fish to fry. It has seen a revival since the 1970s, especially in recent years.

On June 19, 1865, General Order Number 3 was read by the U.S. military commander in Galveston, Texas, announcing the Emancipation of all slaves in Texas. In later years, blacks in Texas began celebrating on the anniversary of that day, and they took the holiday with them when they moved to other states after World War One. Like I said, it's really taken off in recent years.

It seems to me to be an astonishingly appropriate thing to have a holiday to celebrate Emancipation, and June 19 is as good a day as any and better than most. It's a day for barbecues and cookouts, fireworks and general merry making at the beginning of summer.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County

It's been a thing in our area (downtown, anyway) for quite a while. In recent years, known for violence breaking out at gatherings at the National Zoo, for whatever reason. Should be quiet this year because they're not allowing the usual gathering there I don't think. It's supposed to be celebratory, but the yoot groops always F it up.

Fl1p

May 25, 2020
    Just a heads up. Juneteenth protests are planned around DC and some suburb areas today. While most are slated to be peaceful, things can kick up quick. Stay safe.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Does tearing down a statue in downtown DC count? The mob just took down (and is currently ... trying to set on fire) a big bronze statue of Gen. Pike (a confederate officer). Cops stood off and watched.

It's a good thing no mob these people don't like would ever do anything they wouldn't like, now that this is considered acceptable behavior.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Does tearing down a statue in downtown DC count? The mob just took down (and is currently ... trying to set on fire) a big bronze statue of Gen. Pike (a confederate officer). Cops stood off and watched.

It's a good thing no mob these people don't like would ever do anything they wouldn't like, now that this is considered acceptable behavior.

Just saw it on the NBC news at 11:00. Disgusting.
    Even more disgusting was reporter Shomari Stone’s giddy reaction once the statue fell claiming it wasn’t vandalism. What’s dipshit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sgt6402

Jan 21, 2008
    md
    about 25 or so teenagers are walking around with their signs chanting in the Urbana area 10 minutes ago

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom