• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I recently picked up an M1 carbine. It came with a cantelivered rail/scope mount in place of the rear sight. It has a really crappy old tasco 4x40 scope on it and the eye relief is too long and not enough movement with the tiny rail to get my eye away from the scope. I adjusted it and it is a little better, but the eye relief either needs to be about an inch less or mount the scope an inch or so further away.

I am thinking I may get an original GI rear sight or a good reproduction (it is a WWII production carbine).

But I’d kind of like to play with something on it and see if I like it. I am not willing to spend a ton. $100 or less preferred. $200 or so if I might reuse it on another rifle if I decide to pull it and out a Peep sight on it.

Thoughts on what to do? A red dot like a Bushnell TRS-25 (I have one in my 10/22 and I want to put a scope back on the 10/22) may work, but I’d kind of like a small amount of magnification. Compact scope? Prism? Just do a red dot and call it the short range carbine it is?

I’ve been eyeballing a 2.5 or 3x Primary Arms prism scope as is probably reuse that on an AR-15 at some point if I decided to remove it from the carbine, but seems heavy for the light little rifle. A cheap AIM or Monstrum 4x compact scope...maybe? But I’d kind of rather around 2.5-3x.

WWJD?

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    This is the correct optic for your Carbine:

images

Don't forget the battery:

carbine_m3_korea_400.jpg

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I mean, if I happen to come across a period correct IRNV scope, sure. Failing that...

Any suggestions?

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Is it just me, or does everyone on the forum (me included) have a bad case I’d ADHD?

An update, I think medium term I am going to mount a TRS-25 red dot on it. Picked one up from Amazon for $42. In the “why the hell not?” territory (because I spent $1000 during BF is why not says my inner voice!!!)

Short term I am going to keep the 4x scope on it just to see about accuracy at longer ranges with a couple of different boxes of ammo. I managed about a 3” 40 shot group at 50yds. That was with a scope that was so close I basically had to hover the rifle an inch off my shoulder to see through it

I figure I could probably tighten that up to a 2” or less group at 50. Interested to find out.

I figure if I can hit 8” steel at 200 with a little Kentucky windage with >80% I am doing decent with one.

Long term I think I want to get an original flip aperture sight. I like it better than the adjustable ladder sights, seems to be less problematic and this is an earlier GI carbine which I think originally used a flip aperture as well.

Major03

Ultimate Member
    I like to think of firearms as tools. While I love my M1 carbine, it was designed as a replacement for the 1911 pistol for officers and support troops and was primarily considered a defensive weapon.

In this role, it shines. As a rifle it doesn’t so much.

If you put any kind of optic on it, I’d go with a red dot.

Personally I’d put peep sights back on it and take it back to it’s roots.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    ^^^ Peeps first and foremost. Red dot second if you haf' ta'. Fast, close in, handy. Anything else will muddle its handling. The M1 Carbine doesn't exhibit gilt edged accuracy.

When those rifles were reconditioned the armorers reached into the collection of front sights and placed one on whatever rifle they were working on. My suggestion is get a good untouched or tall front sight when you get the rear flip sight so you can regulate elevation impact. Mine has the adjustables and the closest I could get at 100 yards was 12 - 14 inches high, IIRC. No good. I located a fresh GI original front sight and regulated it so POA/POI coincide properly.

Last edited:

airbornetrooper

Nov 9, 2017
    VA
    I like to think of firearms as tools. While I love my M1 carbine, it was designed as a replacement for the 1911 pistol for officers and support troops and was primarily considered a defensive weapon.

In this role, it shines. As a rifle it doesn’t so much.

If you put any kind of optic on it, I’d go with a red dot.

Personally I’d put peep sights back on it and take it back to it’s roots.

Essentially it was the first personal defense weapon (PDW). The replacement sights always annoyed me because they obscure the manufacturer's mark.

midlifecrisis

Jan 21, 2018
    What kind of ammunition are you shooting out of it? I have an old M1-carbine. My dad actually had a box of NATO spec ammunition that was God knows how old. It fired those pretty well but I've had malfunctions with store bought ammunition.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Mostly Wolf steel. I received the rifle with about 400, 450 rounds of wolf and a bandolier of old GI brass cased that I haven’t touched. I’ll double check the cardboard boxes, but could be Korean vintage. 210 rounds I think?

Only other thing I’ve shot out of it is about 20 rounds of Herters brass cased. Not enough to see how accurate that is and I really need better sights (either GOOD irons or mint a scope properly).

The wolf seemed to be shooting around 2 inch groups at 50yds with a 4x scope that was super hard to use. With a 3MOA red dot I am getting about the same or closer to 1.5” groups at 50yds.

10 shot groups BTW. 3 shot groups are probably averaging closer to an inch and a quarter taking the best 3 out of 4 groups.

I still need to get some other brass cased stuff. PPU or Magtech sounds like where it’s at for .30 carbine. Seems to be loaded to original spec for velocity where as most of the other stuff seems to really be closer to 1880-1920FPS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom