• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    Maybe a longer screw with a nut inside the lower. Makes it full auto too?

Sent from the 3rd Rock

Now you have given away TOP SECRET information about Full Auto!

Or maybe counter sink inside of hole (use flat head screw) and put the nut inside the grip?

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    Only by the locking pegs ,just lock tight the heli coil in

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LpDduCVUy6w

No, just don't. Never double down on a poor repair decision. According to my lower receiver print, the block where the handle sits is only 3/8" wide. By the time you drill and tap for a Heli-coil you are through the walls or dang close. A heli-coil doesn't do well on thin walls, things that vibrate, or critical applications. Gumming it up with locktight just makes it more of a mess for the next guy when the bolt's removed and the helicoil fails to stay in the bore. It's just not a good choice for the application.

You either clean up the existing thread or counter bore the damaged ones out of the way and go deeper. Per Clandestine's comment, I checked and I'm not sure a bottom tap will be able to clean it up from the top. Angles look OK, just the length is too short for the very bottom of the hole for a standard length tap.

A total loss repair would involve milling a side out and either plug welding the old bore shut of over boring the threaded hole, welding a dowel in place and then milling the profile and relocating the threaded hole.

hit3961

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 5, 2017
    No, just don't. Never double down on a poor repair decision. According to my lower receiver print, the block where the handle sits is only 3/8" wide. By the time you drill and tap for a Heli-coil you are through the walls or dang close. A heli-coil doesn't do well on thin walls, things that vibrate, or critical applications. Gumming it up with locktight just makes it more of a mess for the next guy when the bolt's removed and the helicoil fails to stay in the bore. It's just not a good choice for the application.

You either clean up the existing thread or counter bore the damaged ones out of the way and go deeper. Per Clandestine's comment, I checked and I'm not sure a bottom tap will be able to clean it up from the top. Angles look OK, just the length is too short for the very bottom of the hole for a standard length tap.

A total loss repair would involve milling a side out and either plug welding the old bore shut of over boring the threaded hole, welding a dowel in place and then milling the profile and relocating the threaded hole.
    1 of my lowers has a heli-coil in it I got it damaged from from a friend . It work md fine if you follow torque specs of 32 inch lbs it will not pull out

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom