• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    So its been about a year since I asked on this forum about the need for cleaning brass. I never did get around to buying a tumbler as most recommended. I wasn't reloading pistol ammo at the time,only a small amount of 30-30. Now I'm reloading pistol ammo and thought I should probably revisit cleaning my brass. Since I still haven't gotten around to buying a tumbler,I threw some brass into a container with a screw on lid after adding some Tide laundry detergent and hot water. After shaking it periodically over a couple of days, it came out pretty darn good. I rinsed it thoroughly and let it dry for a few days. Seems like a good way to go. Anybody else use this method?

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Kinda sounds like what us Hooligans do at the range with our fired cases loaded with black powder. That is until we get them home and clean them thoroughly.

Your method will work for a few cases, but it's a lot of work and time for big batches. There are many other ways to clean and shine your brass...

;)

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    I would highly recommend grabbing a SS tumbler kit. They do a great job. If you are only going to do very small batches, another option is to grab an ultrasonic cleaner. You can use it for a lot of other tasks like cleaning gun parts and jewelery.

At a very minimum, I would suggest using car wash with wax instead of the tide. It will keep the cases from tarnishing.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    So its been about a year since I asked on this forum about the need for cleaning brass. I never did get around to buying a tumbler as most recommended. I wasn't reloading pistol ammo at the time,only a small amount of 30-30. Now I'm reloading pistol ammo and thought I should probably revisit cleaning my brass. Since I still haven't gotten around to buying a tumbler,I threw some brass into a container with a screw on lid after adding some Tide laundry detergent and hot water. After shaking it periodically over a couple of days, it came out pretty darn good. I rinsed it thoroughly and let it dry for a few days. Seems like a good way to go. Anybody else use this method?

After washing/rinsing like this, did you notice any static cling????

Wrinkles??????

:innocent0

All kidding aside.....................

I've got two (2) Lyman Turbo Tumblers (1200), that I've had for over 30 years.
    I paid around $90.00 each for these.

They're now less than $50.00 (on sale).

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/158440/lyman-turbo-1200-pro-sifter-case-tumbler-110-volt

With media:
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/447572/lyman-turbo-1200-case-tumbler-110-volt

Stop at Petco or some other pet supply store, and get some "Lizard Bedding". It's nothing more than crushed walnut shells, and is VERY inexpensive, compared to the gallon jug of walnut shells, found at gunshows.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I don't see the advantage of SS pins and the extra work, to get shinier brass.

I want it clean to avoid issues with my equipment. Anything more is lipstick on a pig. :D

I use a Lyman Turbo tumbler purchased in about 1981. I use corn cob bedding for some use, and Lyman media (finer pieces) for things like 5.56 brass (the bigger stuff gets trapped).

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Ditto the above. 30 minutes in walnut is good enough for me.

The wet pin stuff is as was said lipstick on a pig. I bought a Cabelas vibratory as a temporary solution. Damn thing won't die.

bigjohn

Ultimate Member
    Jun 29, 2007
    Put them in the truck of your car and ride them around for a week. In the jug with the stuff in it

strat56

Feb 23, 2017
    Ditto the above. 30 minutes in walnut is good enough for me.

The wet pin stuff is as was said lipstick on a pig. I bought a Cabelas vibratory as a temporary solution. Damn thing won't die.

I bought one of the Frankford Arsenal Quick and Easy tumblers at Cabela's, works great.

What's the difference in using corn cob and walnut media?

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country

I want it clean to avoid issues with my equipment. Anything more is lipstick on a pig. :D

I use a Lyman Turbo tumbler purchased in about 1981. I use corn cob bedding for some use, and Lyman media (finer pieces) for things like 5.56 brass (the bigger stuff gets trapped).

The only advantage to pins is that they seem to clean the primer pocket a little bit.

Caeb75

Full fledged member
    Sep 19, 2007
    Aberdeen

It appeals to those of us with OCD and severe cleanliness issues!

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    I bought one of the Frankford Arsenal Quick and Easy tumblers at Cabela's, works great.

There are additives etc. But very generally and stand alone, think walnut if what you're after is clean brass. It's a more aggressive media that will more quickly remove stains and heavy tarnish etc. Corncob is less abrasive, tends to polish better, and is the choice of many if what you're after is shiny brass.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    There are additives etc. But very generally and stand alone, think walnut if what you're after is clean brass. It's a more aggressive media that will more quickly remove stains and heavy tarnish etc. Corncob is less abrasive, tends to polish better, and is the choice of many if what you're after is shiny brass.

Well said!

Adding......... IF you want REALLY SHINY brass, after you lube and size, to remove the lube, drop the brass back into the tumbler with some of the 'jeweler's rouge treated' media.

The lube will be cleaned off, and your brass will be as shiny as the day it was made!!!

(Back when I was learning/shooting NRA High Power Rifle, the guy that was mentoring me, Dr. Wayne Faatz, walked over to my shooting position and saw my shiny brass, and exclaimed, "Son, this is waaaaaaaaay too shiny to use! It's too pretty!")

Here's the stuff:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1064203968/lyman-turbo-brass-cleaning-media-treated-tufnut-walnut

When he looked at the headstamp and saw "LC69" he said that he had NEVER seen Lake City brass so shiny!!!!!!!

:lol2::lol2::lol2:

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    I switched to wet tumbling when my son was born. I got a little freaked out about dry tumbling and lead dust because my reloading room is next to the kiddo playroom in the basement. I figure its safer for me too. Wet tumbling does a great job of cleaning, far better than dry tumbling.

The other benefit that I have found is that I can cut 223 cases down to 300 blk and remove burrs and avoid the chamfering step by throwing the freshly cut or trimmed cases back in for a 30 min SS wet tumble. Saves a TON of time.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

Walnut is a bit more aggressive. And more dusty.

Corn cob is less aggressive and less dusty.

I have used corn cob for over 30 years. I use either Lyman Turbo or Dillon Rapid Polish with the corn cob.

strat56

Feb 23, 2017

Well said!

Adding......... IF you want REALLY SHINY brass, after you lube and size, to remove the lube, drop the brass back into the tumbler with some of the 'jeweler's rouge treated' media.

The lube will be cleaned off, and your brass will be as shiny as the day it was made!!!

(Back when I was learning/shooting NRA High Power Rifle, the guy that was mentoring me, Dr. Wayne Faatz, walked over to my shooting position and saw my shiny brass, and exclaimed, "Son, this is waaaaaaaaay too shiny to use! It's too pretty!")

Here's the stuff:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1064203968/lyman-turbo-brass-cleaning-media-treated-tufnut-walnut

When he looked at the headstamp and saw "LC69" he said that he had NEVER seen Lake City brass so shiny!!!!!!!

:lol2::lol2::lol2:

Walnut is a bit more aggressive. And more dusty.

Corn cob is less aggressive and less dusty.

I have used corn cob for over 30 years. I use either Lyman Turbo or Dillon Rapid Polish with the corn cob.

Thank you all for the responses, I tumble my brass in the garage so I might try some walnut, clean is good but not too worried about shiny at the moment.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I like the walnut with Dryer sheet added. Change dryer sheet each batch.
    I tried Wet originally. then tried SS pins. Pins are PITA to remove as it takes more time than just rinse and dump then dry.
    I have had ejection issues on lighter loads for AR where the non shiny brass maybe resisted the ejection more. Used same formula with SS wet tumble and it solved it. Changing my cheap 223 plinking formula up by .5grn also solved it w/o an other issues so that is where I left it.

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    Did another small batch of brass using PineSole this time. Seemed to do a better job than Tide. Only problem was rinsing. It took a long time and a lot of water to get them completely rinsed. They smell good though!

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Vibratory tumbler, walnut media, 3 caps of RCBS case polish - left in on while at work (roughly 8 hours).

20171104_202108.jpg

Normally, I only tumble them for 2, maybe 3, hours at most. I'm not hard-pressed for like-new appearing brass - I just want it clean enough to spot any possible defects before the equipment/rifle finds them.

**I know, my reloading table is dusty. But that batch of brass is shiny...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom