Will you pay extra for upgrades on a used pistol?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    I agree. Pass. You can get a brand new PCR for $200 less.

Yeah, like I said in the op. He wants about $200 over a new one. The night sights are $100. If the rest of the upgrades are to be believed it probably is worth well more than the extra $100, but I don't like the lack of documentation...

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I don't really have a feel for the going prices for CZ PCR's or your local availability.

But no , just like cars, you rarely get back much, if anything, that you modify somthing .( Usual disclaimers).

OTOH , if I particularly like a trigger or other feature * in person, in my hand * , I have occasionally paid more than the supposed going rate. But then I buy for my personal enjoyment/ usefulness , and not with an eye for short term turnover.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    On such a pistol..or anything...knowledge and intuition helps immensely. The OP might want to find a CZ enthusiast and look at the pistol with that individual. Do some research on the upgrades. Hold the trigger back and rack the slide quickly. Lock the slide back and drop the slide, make sure the hammer doesn't follow. Do all safety checks. Healthy night sights on a used pistol is $75 - $100 valuie. New sights alone are typically $125 before fitting labor. Trigger work is worth $50 - $75 on a used gun that passes the function tests. Give the gun that. I wouldn't value the base pistol at new retail value...unless a new model in short supply many firearms don't market at retail.

Sometimes a hobbyist will install a trigger (parts only) and thinks the modification carries the value of a full trigger job. So you'll have to feel the pistol out. Again, a CZ friend helps here.

Sometimes we need to get our feet wet. I wouldn't pay anywhere near $750 for that pistol. Well south of that would be my offer. If the pistol seems sound and it is something you have wanted, haggle and go for a swim. Maybe it will work out...maybe you bought an education.

Last edited:

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Worked on gun is like a worked on car, if the work is what you personally would have done then sure but it also needs the proper paper trail

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Yeah, like I said in the op. He wants about $200 over a new one. The night sights are $100. If the rest of the upgrades are to be believed it probably is worth well more than the extra $100, but I don't like the lack of documentation...

I don't either. If he had the upgrades installed by either CZ Custom or Cajun Gun Works along with the accompanying letter that listed the parts and described exactly what work was done, it would be worth close to his asking-price. CZC and CGW do quality work. But if he installed the parts himself and doesn't have any receipts to back it up, good luck to him. I'd just get a new one and do it myself. It's not like a PCR needs a helluva lot of upgrades to shoot well. I replaced the factory rubber grips with VZ Diamondbacks and dropped-in a stainless steel guide rod in mine. Next will be an improved set of sights. That's all I intend to do.

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    It's a very nice looking piece, BUT it's a used gun...

I'd offer $650.xx & be prepared to walk if he won't budge...

The stuff that he has added makes it more attractive but shouldn't raise the real value...

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    It's a very nice looking piece, BUT it's a used gun...

I'd offer $650.xx & be prepared to walk if he won't budge...

The stuff that he has added makes it more attractive but shouldn't raise the real value...

Those were my initial thoughts as well. The upgraded parts make it more desirable over another stock gun, but doesn't make me willing to pay a large premium.
    I'm just gonna follow his ad and see if he drops the price any more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom