• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Just picked up a bolt action 22 with a scope from another member last week. First time I've shot anything with a scope on it. Went to freestate(only 25yd I know...) and I noticed when looking through the scope I could only focus on the target or the crosshairs. Not both at the same time. I noticed better accuracy when focusing on the target and leaving the crosshairs blurry. Is that normal?

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    Just picked up a bolt action 22 with a scope from another member last week. First time I've shot anything with a scope on it. Went to freestate(only 25yd I know...) and I noticed when looking through the scope I could only focus on the target or the crosshairs. Not both at the same time. I noticed better accuracy when focusing on the target and leaving the crosshairs blurry. Is that normal?

Check out this article:

http://www.outdoorlife.com/node/1005004793

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    When you first put the scope to your eye, what do you see?

The crosshairs should be crisp. If they aren't crisp, adjust the eyepiece until they are crisp. There should be a lock ring in front of the eye piece. Loosen it. Turn the eyepiece right or left and check again. DO NOT hold your eye to the scope as you adjust. Adjust and a quick look. Adjust and a quick look. Once vertical and horizontal are crisp, lock the ring down.

Having a bright area helps with this. A well lit wall or the sky is great.

And unless your scope has adjustments for targets at different distances, the target clarity is what it is.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    When you first put the scope to your eye, what do you see?

The crosshairs should be crisp. If they aren't crisp, adjust the eyepiece until they are crisp. There should be a lock ring in front of the eye piece. Loosen it. Turn the eyepiece right or left and check again. DO NOT hold your eye to the scope as you adjust. Adjust and a quick look. Adjust and a quick look. Once vertical and horizontal are crisp, lock the ring down.

Having a bright area helps with this. A well lit wall or the sky is great.

And unless your scope has adjustments for targets at different distances, the target clarity is what it is.

When I initially look in it, the crosshairs are crystal clear. When I point the gun downrange and try to get on target, I can't get the crosshairs and target to be in focus at the same time unless I dial back the magnification. It's a 3-9 scope. If I zoom out a bit, everything falls a little more into focus. Maybe 9x is just too much for only 25yd.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    When I initially look in it, the crosshairs are crystal clear. When I point the gun downrange and try to get on target, I can't get the crosshairs and target to be in focus at the same time unless I dial back the magnification. It's a 3-9 scope. If I zoom out a bit, everything falls a little more into focus. Maybe 9x is just too much for only 25yd.

9X is definitely too much for 25 yards.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Bushnell should never be discounted.

They are an amazingly good scope for the money.

Better optics than some Leupolds I've had.

And they'll take abuse too.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Bushnell should never be discounted.

They are an amazingly good scope for the money.

Better optics than some Leupolds I've had.

And they'll take abuse too.

I think it's like a $40 scope. It came with the rifle. I know nothing about this stuff. I'll dial back on the zoom next time and see how it goes.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    In terms of 'firearms money', you dont have to spend much to get a decent scope. Why waste your time on some cheap POS.

If everything is set up right, both the reticle and the virtual image created by the objective should fall in the same plane and both be sharp. If your eye has to accomodate to get the reticle in focus, you will see the target out of focus. Try to get the reticle in focus and take it from there. You'll probably notice marked improvement.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I say definitely 3x @ 25 yards
    Some cheap scopes don't let you focus the ocular end. It will typically set for young eyes and us folks with reading glasses have to adjust it by twisting the rear end (ocular end)

Have fun

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    I say definitely 3x @ 25 yards
    Some cheap scopes don't let you focus the ocular end. It will typically set for young eyes and us folks with reading glasses have to adjust it by twisting the rear end (ocular end)

Have fun

Id be one of those young folks ;)

Last edited:

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    It's quite possible that the parallax on your scope is set for 100 yds, unless it's a rimfire scope in which case most are set at 50yds. For a .22 you want a scope that has a parallax setting of 50 yes or less. Or a scope with an adjustable parallax which will dial down to 50 or less. They will run a bit more money. If yours is set at 100 yards it will almost always be blurry at shorter distances. Do yourself a favor and go to rimfirecentral.com and check out the stickys in the scope forum. Or go to the CZ section and look at Spohias sticky for commonly asked questions. She is a wealth of information. As mentioned, you will get a clearer picture at lower magnification.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom