• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Maybe ill come around in the future, but I'm not down with ML or crossbow at the moment. I'd like to pick up a decent .308 rifle and 12ga with a total budget of about $1,500.

There is almost zero rifle hunting in central maryland. Public shotgun deer hunting is limited (the best shotgun hunting is the the managed hunts, those are hard to get into). Crossbow will phenomenally extend your deer season opportunity, from a few weeks to 5 months. I am not trying to talk you out of a decent .308, but mine has not been hunting in maybe 5 years - and then not in MD.

MeatGrinder

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2013
    MoCo, Eastern edge
    I see you mentioned friends from church not picking up the hints. Honestly, you might need to be a bit more direct. I get distracted with business and I'm sure I have goofed and missed other's hint dropping.

Ifdot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Md Eastern Shore
    H&R Slug hunter as previously noted. Go with 20ga.
    If you want to try your hand at waterfowl I'm always down to take out new hunters.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    There is almost zero rifle hunting in central maryland. Public shotgun deer hunting is limited (the best shotgun hunting is the the managed hunts, those are hard to get into). Crossbow will phenomenally extend your deer season opportunity, from a few weeks to 5 months. I am not trying to talk you out of a decent .308, but mine has not been hunting in maybe 5 years - and then not in MD.

Rifle hunting would predominately be in SoMD.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    I see you mentioned friends from church not picking up the hints. Honestly, you might need to be a bit more direct. I get distracted with business and I'm sure I have goofed and missed other's hint dropping.

My "dropping hints" went something like this...

Me - "hey, you go hunting right?"
    Other - yup, a few times a year
    Me - "Man, it'd be great if someone would take me along to show the ropes. I've been wanting to go for years"
    Other - Cool. What were we talking about before?

:rolleyes:

Kagetsu

Feb 4, 2009
    I boat fished as a teen. Liked the boat part, liked the catch and release. Trout fishing,,, when I actually caught fish,,, I try not to admit it to her, my mother doesn't cook fish well. If I get up at 3 dark in the morning, manage to kill something, and have to watch it die and rip it's guts out.... I want it to taste exceptional. I want to find a way to cook what I kill well first. But people who kill, don't share. More accurately, I don't have friends that hunt.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Rifles are not allowed for deer in southern Maryland. You are limited to parts of the shore and western Maryland.

My bad, I messed up my coordinates. Lol, I meant southern eastern shore. Like wicomico and Worcester counties.

Franklin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 12, 2012
    close to budds creek
    hurry up and get signed up for a hunters saftey course if you haven't done it already. I see signs at a few outddor stores saying they are taking apllications.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    hurry up and get signed up for a hunters saftey course if you haven't done it already. I see signs at a few outddor stores saying they are taking apllications.

See post #31. My son and I both finished the hunters safety course last week. :D

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    My "dropping hints" went something like this...

Me - "hey, you go hunting right?"
    Other - yup, a few times a year
    Me - "Man, it'd be great if someone would take me along to show the ropes. I've been wanting to go for years"
    Other - Cool. What were we talking about before?

:rolleyes:
    then say did you hear what I said??

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    they prob only heard the last part of your sentence...But PM "Marshmallow" hes offered to help people out before here. Im sure theres a few other folks that can help out too.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    I PMed a few people, he's one of them. I got various responses. I'll be honest, I'm a little intimidated by trying to go out by myself. Most offers have been advice, but I see how some can be hesitant to actually take a newbie out to hunt :shrug:

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I PMed a few people, he's one of them. I got various responses. I'll be honest, I'm a little intimidated by trying to go out by myself. Most offers have been advice, but I see how some can be hesitant to actually take a newbie out to hunt :shrug:

what part has you worried?

well I can say I jumped out there bow hunting by myself...First year I did get a shot on one and it wasnt a good one...tracked it around the woods for hours and finally gave up on it since I was trespassing all over. I lost her somewhere...unfortunately that can happen even to the best hunter. I wasnt as prepared as I thought, and I didnt have much time that year to hunt so needless to say I didnt get one that year. Next year I buckled down and got more time out in the woods. I ended up killing 4. Three with bow one with muzzle loader.

All Im saying is it can be intimidating but its really not as bad as one would think. If you have a place you can go...you can always do a practice run...

MeatGrinder

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2013
    MoCo, Eastern edge
    I hear ya. Doing something the first time can be a hump to get over. Finding a place to go to can be a barrier too. I'm sorely tempted to offer to take you, but I don't hunt MD anymore and I have learned to not make commitments that my family business will keep me from following through on. Good luck, though.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    I hear ya. Doing something the first time can be a hump to get over. Finding a place to go to can be a barrier too. I'm sorely tempted to offer to take you, but I don't hunt MD anymore and I have learned to not make commitments that my family business will keep me from following through on. Good luck, though.

Thanks. :D

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.

Can be, thats true. Thats why I suggest people try xbow. The season is 5 months, giving you ample opportunity to make some mistakes and get experience before rifle season. If you are confident with a rifle you'll be confident with a xbow. Bows now are pretty accurate out of the box, even inexpensive ones. And, there are many places around here to bow hunt and get your game on. Pulling the trigger is 5% of hunting, the deer dont care what you kill them with. They are all tasty on the grill.

Your first several deer hunts will be more like scout, go out and sit in a blind/treestand, and observe. It may take you 5-6 hunts just to learn patterns and where the deer are moving. It will be simple shiate like finding the spot/tree you picked at 0-dark-thirty.

Xbow adds literally months of chances to (safely) screw up before rifle season. Which means, by then, much less chance the deer will escape.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom