• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • There is a guy in AZ selling aftermarket springs for a Winchester Model 70, which is interchangeable with the Compass' trigger spring. He sells a target trigger and a hunting trigger. People who have done the 2lb target trigger have been able to release the trigger by dropping the rifle from 6-8 inches while positioned in "fire". That seemed a little too unsafe to me, so I ordered one with the 3-3.5lb hunting trigger.
    This is a video (in Russian) of a guy doing this mod and showing the results with a trigger pull gauge. I did a little Googling, and enough people explained that it actually works for me to give it a try- it arrived today, I did the mod and must say I am very pleased, as there is an obvious difference in pull weight. I was unable to get the trigger to release by dropping the buttstock onto concrete w/cardboard from ~12" off the ground. Rumor has it, this was the reason for the recall and why they're no longer adjustable triggers.

http://erniethegunsmith.com/

For some reason, I'm having issues imbedding this particular video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-HOGFpg8zc&t=34s

Last edited:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I didn't watch the video. I don't own one of these.

A word of caution. If the trigger mod is permanent, T/C will more than likely DQ your warranty. I've seen this with trigger jobs on other T/C's.

Todd S

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2012
    Glen Rock, PA
    For the guys that have the Compass, how does it shoot for you? My cousin is looking for a budget rifle. Dicks has the Savage Axis on sale for $200 on Black Friday. I saw that the compass is on sale also, for not much more. He's probably looking for a 308 Win.

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    I was looking at the Compass. Recently picked up a Ruger American Predator in 6.5CM. Both platforms, especially in decent aftermarket stocks, are quite the shooters for not a lot of $$$.

For the guys that have the Compass, how does it shoot for you? My cousin is looking for a budget rifle. Dicks has the Savage Axis on sale for $200 on Black Friday. I saw that the compass is on sale also, for not much more. He's probably looking for a 308 Win.

Here is a picture of me sighting in my Compass (6.5CM) @ 100yds- with the cheapest ammo I could find. (Group #1 wasn't on paper and I over compensated with group #2) The sloppy bolt is easily over looked. This trigger mod makes it quite acceptable. For the price, they are damn fine rifles.
    There is currently a $75 mail in rebate, so they can be had for $200 right now.

Attachments

• 20171110_145333 (1).jpg
      20171110_145333 (1).jpg
      42.6 KB · Views: 1,197

hi3cho

Ultimate Member
    Nov 16, 2012
    Edgemere
    I ordered the hunter spring and it was very similar to the stock spring. It almost felt heavier. I will be ordering the target trigger to see if it is any better. Maybe I just got a tighter than normal spring.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    All the reviews I read were positive with one caveat, the forend of the stock is flimsy. And it is. The observation was slinging up or loading up the bipod could loosen groups or change POI.

I am taking mine in Win 308 on its maiden range trip tomorrow. Got it as a good utilitarian hunting rifle. Redfield scope on top of it. I don’t use a bipod and only on occasion use a sling to shoot a sporting rifle. I guess we’ll see what happens with the sling.

jt2100r

Aug 2, 2014
    Huntingtown
    Today I installed the target spring. Keep getting 60 oz., thats 3.75 lb. Works for me. I have an old RCBS trigger scale. Like others the hunter spring felt the same as the stock spring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom