• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Measuring impulse sound, like gunshots, is a science in itself. Normal decibel meters don't work very well, you can ask the suppressor community about it.

Hey everyone. I purchased 21 acres in Calvert to build a home and for recreation purposes. Shooting being one of them. I finally have a nice 180yd range set up with a huge hill for a backstop. Feels great owning my own land to shoot on. But now i have a problem arising with one of my neighbors. They are complaining the shooting is unbearable. That they cannot enjoy being on their front porch when I'm enjoying my own land.

The only law on the books I'm aware of is being 150yds away from any dwellings, which i am. I also feel I'm being very reasonable to the length of time i shoot for, and for how long. 20mins to a hour, nothing past 6pm, nothing before 12pm. They are accusing me of breaking the county's noise ordinance. I offered them my phone number to give me a call if I'm bothering them, but they would rather me stop shooting or move father from their house.

No cops involved as of now with this neighbor, but let me know what you think I'm in for. Thanks
    Hi
    I have 5 acres in Friendship and am interested in setting up a range. How big is your dirt berm? Did nake any other accommodations? Thanks for your help.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Hey everyone. I purchased 21 acres in Calvert to build a home and for recreation purposes. Shooting being one of them. I finally have a nice 180yd range set up with a huge hill for a backstop. Feels great owning my own land to shoot on. But now i have a problem arising with one of my neighbors. They are complaining the shooting is unbearable. That they cannot enjoy being on their front porch when I'm enjoying my own land.

The only law on the books I'm aware of is being 150yds away from any dwellings, which i am. I also feel I'm being very reasonable to the length of time i shoot for, and for how long. 20mins to a hour, nothing past 6pm, nothing before 12pm. They are accusing me of breaking the county's noise ordinance. I offered them my phone number to give me a call if I'm bothering them, but they would rather me stop shooting or move father from their house.

No cops involved as of now with this neighbor, but let me know what you think I'm in for. Thanks
    Perfect reason why you need to purchase silencers.

Frickn Yahoo

May 19, 2018
    Hi
    I have 5 acres in Friendship and am interested in setting up a range. How big is your dirt berm? Did nake any other accommodations? Thanks for your help.
    My backstop is just a huge natural hillside i shoot into. Kinda hard to describe, but at the very back of my range, the target is about half way up the hill. Didn't make any other accommodations. All natural land topography.

Im assuming your in AA CO, Im not aware of there laws regarding shooting on private property. Id check there before doing any plinkin

Frickn Yahoo

May 19, 2018
    Figured this is a good time to give a update.

Few years back had another visit from the local Sheriffs office. Im guessing they got tired of the BS complaints becuase they set the neighbors straight. They told the neighbors and I, Im not breaking any laws, and the noise ordnance does not apply to firearms. In order to be in violation of the county ordnance, the noise has to be constant and over the allowed decibel level. Since gunshots are semi auto stop and go, thats not a violation. Officer also stated I can press charges for harassment on the neighbors.

This is what i was told by 2 county cops. How much of it is true? Remains to be seen. Seems like you get a different interpretation of the law, from every cop. But since then, Ive not had any issues with the SO and still shoot on my range.

tentsandtread

Dec 22, 2022
    Huntingtown

Few years back had another visit from the local Sheriffs office. Im guessing they got tired of the BS complaints becuase they set the neighbors straight. They told the neighbors and I, Im not breaking any laws, and the noise ordnance does not apply to firearms. In order to be in violation of the county ordnance, the noise has to be constant and over the allowed decibel level. Since gunshots are semi auto stop and go, thats not a violation. Officer also stated I can press charges for harassment on the neighbors.

This is what i was told by 2 county cops. How much of it is true? Remains to be seen. Seems like you get a different interpretation of the law, from every cop. But since then, Ive not had any issues with the SO and still shoot on my range.

After a year of shooting in my yard on 3acres I have discovered due to neighbors that im like 30ft short of being able to tell them all to eat shit.
    Need a place to shoot DM me im in Calvert lets be buddies can pay in ammo/gunsmithing etc haha

tomcatfan

Jan 27, 2024
    St. Marys

Glad to hear that LEO is on your side.

ZevGlock

Oct 9, 2018

......keep shooting. You aren't doing anything wrong.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Private range

This reminds me of the similar problem Duffys gun room in Sparks Md, Baltimore County incurred. Im friends with the owner. I went go High School with in fact. I graduated 1976, he around the same time.
    Sometime later he became the owner of Duffys Gun Room retail gun store and repair shop. Thus he also had an outdoor shooting range down the street from his shop, which at the time was considered to be out in the country, though not far from suburbia -( Hunt Valley). He was able to work on guns and take to his range close by to test fire and pleasure shooting. Wouldn't you know it before too long he too started to get complaints same as you. His position was you people move into the country where it is commonplace to shoot, then you complain about hearing the noise as if you had decided to stay in suburbia. In essence, your bitching has forced these one sided laws because the county looks at future growth of communities and stores. Future development equals more tax base for the county! Money controls everything. People forget the importance of our second amendment and need to accept the importance of these rights, but in the end, gun owners seem to lose more times than not.
    I used to shoot at Will's range which was up a hill which dead ended around a powerline area. Very isolated and yet as we see, that story that Action told, was apparently the death nell to Duffy's range.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I used to shoot at Will's range which was up a hill which dead ended around a powerline area. Very isolated and yet as we see, that story that Action told, was apparently the death nell to Duffy's range.

Same thing with General Aviation.

General Aviation facilities are an important element of our regular and emergency transportation networks .

But suburbanites move to new developments in proximity to existing small airports , then act surprised when they hear planes , and have the occasional shirt landing crash in their yard , or into their house .

So they whine and batch to local governments and zoning boards to restrict and / or shut down the airports .

If you don't want a plane crashing into your house , Don't move next to an airport.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Yup, been at their range as well. That story gets played out all over the country.

Not a public range, but look what happened northern Baltimore County from a guy shooting MG's on farm. New rich city person moves in next door. Starts complaining to the farm owner. farm owner says FU. Police come, everything legal. Fast forward a yew years. Said city dweller is WELL connected. New ordinance passed. No more automatic firing allowed.
    Farm owner puts up a pig pen on the property line close to the guys house.
    I believe I have my facts straight. Some of you know this story well.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Yup, been at their range as well. That story gets played out all over the country.

Not a public range, but look what happened northern Baltimore County from a guy shooting MG's on farm. New rich city person moves in next door. Starts complaining to the farm owner. farm owner says FU. Police come, everything legal. Fast forward a yew years. Said city dweller is WELL connected. New ordinance passed. No more automatic firing allowed.
    Farm owner puts up a pig pen on the property line close to the guys house.
    I believe I have my facts straight. Some of you know this story well.
    Have a friend who has a plant nursery a bit farther north than Duffy's.
    He built a dirtbike practice track that we would ride on a few times a week or so. Eventually, the county got in his grille due to someone complaining. They claimed that he was violating his land use and had to cease. But, if I remember right, the county said he could have ridden there, as long as he didn't move any dirt to make obstacles or of course charge anyone to ride. ( which he never did)

This led him to buy another property up in PA. That one had way more acreage and yet, Adams County and Neighbors even had town meetings to thwart him. One could not see any neighbors from anywhere on that whole piece of land and I am pretty sure that the opposers did not have a legal leg despite hiring lawyers to fight their fight at that Town meeting. I remember him also having his father in law testify from his engineering background as I believe he was aiming to make his practice track up there open to his friends like me and maybe 3-7 other friends. As I remember from one day at his place, He and his 2 boys, and another friend and his one boy were riding, and some neighbor trespassed on his land and got right in his face to ask him, " JUST WHO do you THINK you are?" My buddy was his usual peaceful self, but the friend was not as calm headed. That fella basically told the trespasser that he better leave them alone if he did not want to regret it. AND that they were trespassing.

Eventually the PA property was sold. So we had no practice places to ride.

Tower43

USMC - 0311
    Jul 6, 2010
    Lusby, MD
    Same thing with General Aviation.

General Aviation facilities are an important element of our regular and emergency transportation networks .

But suburbanites move to new developments in proximity to existing small airports , then act surprised when they hear planes , and have the occasional shirt landing crash in their yard , or into their house .

So they whine and batch to local governments and zoning boards to restrict and / or shut down the airports .

If you don't want a plane crashing into your house , Don't move next to an airport.
    thats like folks in CRE that whine about NAS Pax... like... yo, you moved in NEXT TO AN AIR BASE... and I guess they missed science class where they discussed how sound is amplified over bodies of water.....
    And odd that you bring up planes crashing into your house, my wife used to live on Crystal Rock years ago when a plane crashed landing at the CRE Airfield... the landing gear hit her roof, it crashed in her back yard... While it did cause lasting mental issues when she hears low flying aircraft she has a rightful fear of it.... she never once called for the airport to be shut down, even with the rich clowns that do dumb shit on it lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom