• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Devonian

Ultimate Member
    Apr 15, 2008
    Has anyone here used a professional resume writing service? Was it worth it for you?
    I have a hard time selling myself which I feel translates into a unimpressive resume and with the poor job market in general I feel like every advantage is needed.

RosadoSM

Ultimate Member
    Apr 27, 2005
    King George, VA
    I know a few people that did... The results were "form" type resumes that didn't work well... Generally the folks writing them have a hard time explaining skills they do not posses or completely understand.

In general its best to try and target your resume to a specific job posting.

just my.02

hailtoby

Running with the Devil.
    Sep 5, 2009
    Charles County
    You know your experiences best even if you dont know how to explain it properly on a resume. Instead of a resume writing service, I would reccomend a resume writing class.

You would be better off learning the proper way to present yourself in your resume than paying someone else to write it.

dswanmd

Feb 23, 2010
    Is there anyone you trust that would also be in a position to look at it? A copy editor, english teacher/major, lawyer, etc? I had a lawyer friend of on of my parents give mine a once over and it really helped. The more eyes you can get on it, the better. Also, if your concerned with format, google 'resume formats' for your field. I have a separate one for applying to federal jobs than I do private jobs.

Sounds like we're in a similar boat, I'm on the post graduation job hunt and not having great success yet.. best of luck. What type of job are you looking for/what credentials do you have? PM if you want.

ETA: It sucks but RosadoTM is right, I tailor my resume to each job I apply for, change the objective, and relevant skills if necessary. Also its a pain in the ass, but I always include a cover letter written specifically for each job listing.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    The best investment you can make for yourself is "What color is your Parachute". It's a workbook designed for you to organize your ideas and experience. The book also give you tips and guidance.

After you've completed all of the exercises in the book. Look at your resume and give it the 30 second test. Does your resume convey what you are trying to say at a cursory review?

Remember the resume and cover letter get you the interview, the interview is what actually lands you the job.

Good luck :thumbsup:

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    You know your experiences best even if you dont know how to explain it properly on a resume. Instead of a resume writing service, I would reccomend a resume writing class. You would be better off learning the proper way to present yourself in your resume than paying someone else to write it.

:thumbsup:

learned back then.. keep it simple, short and have some eye catching statements.

but then again.. only have to write my resume 3 times (only worked for 3 companies my whole life). may have to update mine soon.

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    You want someone with marketing experience, not a lawyer, engineer, English professor, or HR Administrator to take your current resume and transform it into a selling tool.

Resumes will not get you interviews or job offers. You have to do the work of prospecting, calling, arranging interviews, and selling yourself. The resume should be one of the last pieces of paper that you give to an employer.

dswanmd

Feb 23, 2010
    MikeTF I understand your point about marketing and selling yourself, but it also helps to find someone who has a lot of experience in a similar field you are going into to look things over, perhaps someone who has been the one to conduct interviews. They have more knowledge of the minutia of the job description and responsibilities.

Right2Carry

Feb 27, 2009
    District 32
    Those services are only good for younger professionals with little experience - not diverse. Stay away from those services unless they offer to write up a resume for every position you apply. This way the resume will match/fit the job against your qualifications. If not, then you are wasting your money!

Devonian

Ultimate Member
    Apr 15, 2008
    Thanks for the responses, allot of good advise here.
    The the issues I'm trying to mitigate are having worked numerous temporary jobs and jumping around a few different industries. I feel like it makes me look flaky and a company might not want to commit, thinking that I'll just jump ship in a year.

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    MikeTF I understand your point about marketing and selling yourself, but it also helps to find someone who has a lot of experience in a similar field you are going into to look things over, perhaps someone who has been the one to conduct interviews. They have more knowledge of the minutia of the job description and responsibilities.
    You've addressed 1/3 of elements that are essential to getting a job: qualifications. You also have to demonstrate that you work hard (and get results) and that you get along with people. Focusing only on a person's qualifications, significantly under sells the applicant's abilities.

This is why so many people are thrown by interview questions like, 'What is your favorite movie?' The correct answer is to pick a movie that like The Shawshank Redemption (instead of Forest Gump) and discuss the virtues of hard work, persistence, and planning.

Writing a resume is a part of the preparation process for placing initial phone calls to get an interview, performing at the interview, getting an offer, negotiating, and accepting or rejecting an offer.

Finding a job is a sales process. Resumes are brochures. You need one, but it should not be handed out and distributed like junk mail.

Keep your resume to a page or two at most.

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    Thanks for the responses, allot of good advise here.
    The the issues I'm trying to mitigate are having worked numerous temporary jobs and jumping around a few different industries. I feel like it makes me look flaky and a company might not want to commit, thinking that I'll just jump ship in a year.
    Not at all. It's strength. You're able to quickly acquire new skills and adapt to different work environments and cultures. You like variety and thrive on new experiences. You're willing to do whatever is needed to help a company ..... etc.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I agree with the statement to keep it short. Two pages max. Why? Most people reviewing them don't even look at the two pages. Buzz words and name brands are big. Why? The first gate keepers that down select resumes are usually secretaries who have no clue what to look for. They have been told to look for someone with Windows experience and if you just write MSCE they'll probably ignore it. Write the resume to the job you are applying for. Fill in and emphasize your experience in the areas they say in the announcement or ad they are looking for. If it has a contact, contact that person and ask them what they are looking for. If the contact person is not the person doing the hiring, ask it you can have that person's phone number. Why? A lot of ads are either not written by the person who has an opening or they contain a lot of boiler plate that HR says they have to add for that kind of position.

As to getting the opinion of a professional writer etc, they aren't the one's doing the actual hiring. If you know someone in the industry you are interested in have them look at it. Even better, if after the actual interview you, ask the person interviewing you if they would critique the resume.

Lose the sales pitch. Do you want to be sold something or want to buy it?

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    not a headhunter nor pro resume writer but have hired a lot of folks over the years. if you wanna fax me your resume i will quickly review it for you. 5712820944 if that number doesn't work, pm me with your email.

also make certain you write a customized cover letter for each job you apply for. list some of the job quals they state and identify how you can handle them. no cover letter = bottom of the pile if not the trash can.

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    I agree with the statement to keep it short. Two pages max. Why? Most people reviewing them don't even look at the two pages. Buzz words and name brands are big. Why? The first gate keepers that down select resumes are usually secretaries who have no clue what to look for. They have been told to look for someone with Windows experience and if you just write MSCE they'll probably ignore it. Write the resume to the job you are applying for. Fill in and emphasize your experience in the areas they say in the announcement or ad they are looking for. If it has a contact, contact that person and ask them what they are looking for. If the contact person is not the person doing the hiring, ask it you can have that person's phone number. Why? A lot of ads are either not written by the person who has an opening or they contain a lot of boiler plate that HR says they have to add for that kind of position.

As to getting the opinion of a professional writer etc, they aren't the one's doing the actual hiring. If you know someone in the industry you are interested in have them look at it. Even better, if after the actual interview you, ask the person interviewing you if they would critique the resume.

Lose the sales pitch. Do you want to be sold something or want to buy it?
    I couldn't agree with you more: Don't BS or put BS sales pitches in the resume. Most everyone will see right through them except for the person writing them.

Most job opportunities are not advertised. You have to find them. A phone call saves a lot of wasted time and effort.

Get feedback on your resume from people who hire other people, before you go to an interview. You want to have someone with significant editing experience to review your resume in its final format. Even if you're good at editing, you've seen the same document too often to be able to catch errors that you've missed.

Lex Armarum

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2009
    Late to the ball on this but here is my advice (take it for what its worth):

A. When writing the description of your skills gained from experience, start simple. Write in the most basic terms possible what experience/skills you've gained from that job. After getting the basic idea on paper, add or subtract words to make it sound professional.

B. Organize your resume according to what information you want to highlight and emphasize. If you're betting on your experience, place your experience first etc.

C. The cover letter is as important if not more important than the resume because it serves as an introduction, summary of skills, and sale pitch. It is your first line of contact with the potential employer. Write cleanly, concisely, and persuasively.

Resume and cover letter writing are skills that you have to learn, hone, and practice. Don't be afraid to write something, take a break for a while, then come back and review it. Make revisions.

My $.02.

GunnyHwy

Oct 18, 2007
    Howard County
    I just love how everyone is so eager to help out. I truly enjoy being a part of this forum!

In my position, I see a lot of resumes. The ones that get attention are the ones that are clear, to the point and don't BS around. If your temp jobs were with one agency then you could consider it one job with different assignments. (less flaky) Jumping around looks bad but you could explain that all the jumping gave you focus in your cover letter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom