• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lawrencewendall

Been There, Done That
    Oct 10, 2009
    I have a Japanese carbine series 38 that I need to have spec'ed out by a gunsmith. It was originally a 6.5x50 but I've read that a lot of these were re-worked to fit US ammo. Any suggestions for a local gunsmith to give me the real specs on this gun? In the Glen Burnie area. Thanks.

boule

Ultimate Member
    Oct 16, 2008
    Galt's Gulch
    There are a bunch of Arisaka rifles that have been bubba'd over the years and not properly marked afterwards. Most conversions were carried out in the 70's when ammunition was not sold commercially. Some rifles can now be found in 6.5-257 (6.5x57), basically a necked-down 7mm Mauser case. Another popular rechambering is to the .30-06 round, usually together with a sporterization.
    There is anectodal evidence that several batches of rifles were rechambered in China to either 8mm Mauser or 7,62x39 by both sides during the chinese civil war.

You could probably just do a cast of your chamber and measure that to see what caliber you have. Otherwise someone would have to break out chamber gauges and I do not know who might have one for the 6,5x55.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom