• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • John20619

Mar 21, 2020
    Greetings,

Like to present a scenario and query the good minds on this site as to the legalities of a certain hypothetical configuration for a friend. He's read most (if not all) of the HBAR discussions here - though he's still confused. Thus, I'd humbly ask for either a "Yes" (legal) or a "No" (not legal). Anything beyond is also appreciated. Please assume the following:

1. He was active military, living in MD, though NOT a resident of MD, up until 2011.

2. He bought an HBAR AR15 in VA in 2009 (cash and carry). He immediately brought it home (to MD) and slapped a non-HBAR upper (16 inch barrel) on it and threw it in a safe.

3. In 2011, he retired from the military and became a happy resident of Maryland.

4. In 2019, he slapped some other non-HBAR upper (16 inch barrel) on the gun.

Question: Is this hypothetical configuration legal or not? Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,
    John

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Receiver was owned before October 2013 so it does not have to be HBAR.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    Is your friend hypothetically named Brian?

I'd like to help, but your friend, hypothetically named Brian, should seek the advice of a 2A lawyer. Otherwise, the value of the information he receives here will be worth exactly what he paid for.

IANAL, even hypothetically speaking.

John20619

Mar 21, 2020
    Is your friend hypothetically named Brian?

I'd like to help, but your friend, hypothetically named Brian, should seek the advice of a 2A lawyer. Otherwise, the value of the information he receives here will be worth exactly what he paid for.

IANAL, even hypothetically speaking.

Brian is very much aware that anything he does or does not do is at his own peril, regardless of opinions on this site.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    We have the Governor at least.

We have the Governor?:sad20:

I try to keep an optimistic view on things. (Though yes it's a bit of a stretch).

Whenever I get irritated with Hogan I think to myself:

"Governor Brown, Governor Brown, Governor Brown"

And I feel a little better for a while.

As far as the original question I agree that you can do whatever you want with a lower owned pre 10-1-2013

John20619

Mar 21, 2020
    Whenever I get irritated with Hogan I think to myself:

"Governor Brown, Governor Brown, Governor Brown"

And I feel a little better for a while.

As far as the original question I agree that you can do whatever you want with a lower owned pre 10-1-2013

Hey, thanks for the feedback. I'm not all-in on Hogan but he is an "R" in a deep blue state - and seems to remain popular with the masses. (I'm always concerned about what awaits in the wings).

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    Hey, thanks for the feedback. I'm not all-in on Hogan but he is an "R" in a deep blue state - and seems to remain popular with the masses. (I'm always concerned about what awaits in the wings).
    Exactly. Too many people here are single issue focused and don't seem to understand the reality could be substantially worse. Guns simply aren't popular in Maryland. Too many voters like the restrictions and want more. We're "lucky" that things aren't worse.

Anthony Brown would have been much worse for conservatives, on all fronts. I'll take the far less offensive candidate.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom