• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fishguy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2009
    Montgomery County
    Well, duh, when you shoot prone, you are closer to the ground than when you shoot from the bench so of course your shots will impact lower on the target.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    I don't think he was shooting CMP competition.

That said, the both eyes open shit is exactly that. Shit. Lots of people do far better with one eye closed. Probably why people at David Tubb's level use eye protection that blacks out the non-dominant eye....

My eyesight is getting so bad, if I block my non-dominant eye, I need a white cane with a red tip!!!!!!!

(I wonder what kind of reaction I'd get at the range, if I showed up with that!?!?!?!?!?)

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville

That said, the both eyes open shit is exactly that. Shit. Lots of people do far better with one eye closed. Probably why people at David Tubb's level use eye protection that blacks out the non-dominant eye....

Both eyes open is for short range fast shooting like in 3 gun competition. It will get you A zone hits but I only use it for 25 yards and in. Anything over that and I'm closing my non dominant eye and focusing on the reticle and target.

bigdummy30

Feb 2, 2009
    Finksburg,MD
    First ,neither is a very good group. And my guess would be the rest you used putting different pressure / balance on the gun or depending on how fast you were shooting MAYBE heat buildup....but that is a lot of heat to do that.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Not to bust the OP's chops , but diagnostic question #1 is :

What size groups do you usually shoot with rifes of known accuraccy using known ammunition ?

Erno86

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 27, 2012
    Marriottsville, Maryland
    Besides the barrel resting on a hard surface, cheek weld, parallax issues...you could be flinching {dipping}, the butt of the stock rested on a bouncy {pillow?} surface, or upper body tension {you'll have to relax}.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012

He was punching holes in paper and if you want the smallest group the basics apply.

The use of a "blinder" is so you can keep both eyes open. The same amount of light reaching both eyes will provide better balance and better visual acuity. It depends on the relative dominance of each eye. Some people can shoot with both eyes open with no problem but some get a double image. A blinder or some other way to block just the pupil area of the non dominate eye will allow both eyes to remain open and improve shooting.

I should have added shooting from the dominate eye to the original list. If you look at competitive shooters the higher you go in ranking the fewer non dominate eye shooters you will find and at the Olympic level all shooters use their dominate eye. You will also find the use of blinders common in competitions to allow people to use both eyes.

Perhaps this quote from the United States Army Marksmanship Unit answering a question will shed some additional light on this "shit".

Q: Hi, I was stationed at Cherry Point, N.C. as a coach and instructor on the rifle range when discharged in Feb. 1960. (USMC) It has been a forty five year lay off, but attending the "Opening Shot" ceremonies in 2005 got me fired up to shoot once again. I am shooting the M-1 Garand and plan to shoot the JCG match this year at Camp Perry mostly for nostalgic reasons. I wear glasses mostly to read but had the eye doc fix me up with a pair of shooting glasses giving me a clear view of the front sight but I am having difficulty seeing the bullseye at 200 yds. It seems to turn gray and eventually disappears. The doc suggested I try shooting with my regular glasses but the clarity is still lacking. Any suggestion would be most appreciated!! Matt

A: Mr. Troy, There is really no good way to overcome this. You have to see the front sight clearly in order to be effective, but you have to see the target for obvious reasons. I think the best scenario is for you to get a prescription that allows you to see both the target and front sight post somewhat clearly. Obviously, both can't be crystal clear, but only seeing one of them is not an option either. If you get a new prescription that does this, you will have to change focus between the front sight and the target very rapidly.

One last recommendation is to use a neutral colored blinder over your non-shooting eye. Since you will be wearing glasses, you can use Scotch tape over the lens.....that works just fine. This will allow your shooting eye to work with more information without getting the other eye involved. Best of luck with this.

Good Shooting,
    SFC Norm Anderson

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    D-O-M-I-N-A-N-T.

Dominate is a verb....as in, you like chimpanzees to dominate you sexually.

And shooting with both eyes open does not work for all shooters, especially when shooting at longer distances. If one puts a blinder over their eye, there isn't any light getting to it. Hence the word "blinder". As in something which blinds...prevents from seeing. If you aren't preventing the eye from seeing, then it's not a blinder.

OP is also using magnified optics, not iron sights, which is what your little quote addresses. So it has absolutely nothing to do with what he's asking.

But hey, if he's shooting a rifle, it must mean he should follow to the letter the same "rules" that someone came up with in the 1930s. Surely nothing has changed since then right? :lol2:

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg

Tubb only puts a piece of scotch tape on non aiming side of his glasses and keeps both eyes open. The purpose is to prevent dilation of the aiming eye.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    That said, the both eyes open shit is exactly that. Shit. Lots of people do far better with one eye closed.

THIS

THANK YOU

No one ever listens when I tell them that I shoot better with one eye closed. I've never done well with both eyes open.

Anyways, everyone can return to the original thread now :D

bigalf

Apr 1, 2012
    Fort Meade
    I would try to make sure your keeping your cheek in exactly the same spot each time. Also maybe try to shoot iron sights first to get a sweet spot on the stock and not have to worry about getting bumped from scope. I dont know how experienced with AR platforms you are, just making a friendly suggestion, take no offense.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    D-O-M-I-N-A-N-T.

Dominate is a verb....as in, you like chimpanzees to dominate you sexually.

And shooting with both eyes open does not work for all shooters, especially when shooting at longer distances. If one puts a blinder over their eye, there isn't any light getting to it. Hence the word "blinder". As in something which blinds...prevents from seeing. If you aren't preventing the eye from seeing, then it's not a blinder.

OP is also using magnified optics, not iron sights, which is what your little quote addresses. So it has absolutely nothing to do with what he's asking.

But hey, if he's shooting a rifle, it must mean he should follow to the letter the same "rules" that someone came up with in the 1930s. Surely nothing has changed since then right? :lol2:

Thanks for pointing out the spelling error I fixed it for you.

Nothing works for "all shooters" but when it works for most shooters it is something that should be given a fair trial before rejecting. In shooting circles a "blinder" does not keep all light from getting to the eye it obscures the vision to prevent that eye from focusing. Most experienced shooters use blinders that allow an equal amount of light to reach each eye.

I gave a quote from a knowledgeable source that was addressing a related problem instead of simply repeating a personal opinion, everyone has an opinion. The reasons for keeping eyes open remain the same no matter what type sights you are using (this is my opinion I await a knowledgeable quote in rebuttal).

Actually the list of some of the basics has changed since the 1930's however some of the principles are much older and the road to the best marksmanship is founded on fundamentals. Of course the definition of "good marksmanship" depends on who is doing the shooting.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The fundamentals of marksmanship are the underpinnings of all forms of single projectile shooting. They go back long before the 1930's, or the 1830's , or the 1730's. Nothing has changed , or will. Proper hold (grip) , proper position (stance) , aiming , trigger control , and follow thru. Applies equally to latest evil black rifle ( or combat tupperwear ) , as to a matchlock.

And FWIW , 99% of *Advanced Shooting* skills are *Basic Shooting* skills done well .

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom