• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    When I was in my youth rumor had it that the local police dept. had a couple of Thompsons in their weapon locker as well. So I'm not surprised at this news clip.

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    @Streetgang - My grandfather was a master sergeant when he deployed to Europe in WWII, and was therefore authorized a Thompson as his weapon. As soon as they handed it to him, he was quick to point out that he was not qualified with it and took a carbine instead. No way was he lugging that thing around!

I can understand that. A carbine is about half the weight of a Thompson. They shoot pretty wild too.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    On one ship I was on we had twelve Thompsons in a rack next to my desk, same configuration. They were turned in when the ship was decommissioned. I wonder if they even exist now.

I think much of that stuff has pretty much dried up by now. 1971ish I was working intermediate maintenance at NAS Norfolk's hydraulics shop, old out of the way Quonset hut place. At the end of the ramp were several LARGE conex box looking things from who knows when. (remeber thy had a Jap Emily and the Sea Dart cocooned for long term storage outside of SP-29 and the P-2 Truculent Turtle on a pedestal? Anyway, station decided to clean things up and open them. lo and behold a COMPLETE Grumman F-4F Wildcat airplane that was used as a training aid! One complete side and wing instead of skin had plexiglas to teach the internal workings of the wildcat to maint crews! Well either AMD metalsmiths or NARF got the skin job (I forget) and my shop got the hydraulics. Where did the IPB come from to show which size O rings and wipers to use..... The Smithsonian loaned them to us! Year, maybe a year and a half later.... it was flown off station!

That's a for real no shit story since I witnessed it 1st hand. :thumbsup:

tony b

Ultimate Member
    Jan 20, 2012
    Joppa
    I think it is cool to bring stuff like this back into the light and they were smart enough to trade for some things they could use.

JHE1956

Apr 16, 2013
    Annapolis
    @Streetgang - My grandfather was a master sergeant when he deployed to Europe in WWII, and was therefore authorized a Thompson as his weapon. As soon as they handed it to him, he was quick to point out that he was not qualified with it and took a carbine instead. No way was he lugging that thing around!

Something similar happened to my dad in Korea (Recon Company, 1st Marine Division) . When he went ashore at Inchon he was carrying an M1 Garand, even though he was a communications sergeant and should have been issued a carbine. However during the street fighting in Seoul, (where "Every Marine is a Rifleman" was never more true) he was issued a Thompson for a few days. As soon as he could, he traded the Thompson for a carbine, which he carried for the next year. He said at Chosin reservoir he wished he had the Garand back.

I think much of that stuff has pretty much dried up by now. 1971ish I was working intermediate maintenance at NAS Norfolk's hydraulics shop, old out of the way Quonset hut place. At the end of the ramp were several LARGE conex box looking things from who knows when. (remeber thy had a Jap Emily and the Sea Dart cocooned for long term storage outside of SP-29 and the P-2 Truculent Turtle on a pedestal? Anyway, station decided to clean things up and open them. lo and behold a COMPLETE Grumman F-4F Wildcat airplane that was used as a training aid! One complete side and wing instead of skin had plexiglas to teach the internal workings of the wildcat to maint crews! Well either AMD metalsmiths or NARF got the skin job (I forget) and my shop got the hydraulics. Where did the IPB come from to show which size O rings and wipers to use..... The Smithsonian loaned them to us! Year, maybe a year and a half later.... it was flown off station!

That's a for real no shit story since I witnessed it 1st hand. :thumbsup:

That's amazing BB. I watched the last flying B-26 bomber take off and land at the Chino airport in CA in the 70s. It was deafening, no cat takeoff of any new aircraft will replace the awesomeness in my mind.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    That's amazing BB. I watched the last flying B-26 bomber take off and land at the Chino airport in CA in the 70s. It was deafening, no cat takeoff of any new aircraft will replace the awesomeness in my mind.

B-26 = 2 PW-2800 engines, the old C-118's had 4 of the same that I started to flying on, dirty oil leaking pos BUT they were FUN! :thumbsup:

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    That's a great find. Glad the Tommy's will be preserved! :thumbsup:

Even the semi-auto replicas are a lot of fun! Too bad Marylandistan thinks they're evil. :sad20:

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    Guys, This is actually much more common than you might guess. Many Thompsons made it into Police stock during the 20s and 30s. If they were registered, then they are very valuable. Over the years many have been traded in for new guns. Sometimes on a 1 for 1 deal... One new Colt M16 or AR15 for the Tommy gun. This guy seems to have struck a pretty good deal getting 44 AR15s each! Thats getting the most for your tax money. My only question is, what will they do with 88 AR15s!!! I think its a great idea frankly. Historic guns, worthless for police these days get traded in for new guns. Everyone wins.

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    I dunno which would make the bad guy drop a load in his pants faster a cop pointing a AR15 or a chopper at him?

outlaw613

Jun 5, 2013
    grate stories i think that chief should run for president [did not cast the tax payers anything] awesome

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    My only question is, what will they do with 88 AR15s!!!

My thought, too. That sounds more like arming a military unity than a sheriff's department. I can sure see the need for a few ... but 88 Bushmasters?

This isn't the first time that some old Thompsons have shown up in NC. I know of one that was given to a sheriff when he retired after 40 years (several years back). It had been added to that county's arsenal the year he started working there.

It's a heavy gun--even without a loaded drum mag--but it's fun as hell to shoot. The .22LR adapter kits make the things economical (well ... as economical as a $30K gun can be) to shoot. [This is an original 1928 Thompson.]

Attachments

• Thompson_Submachinegun.avi_000131197.jpg
      Thompson_Submachinegun.avi_000131197.jpg
      73.4 KB · Views: 121

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    Anyone interested in Shooting a real Thompson should come to the AGC and take MDTCA's qualification test. Its done with a Thompson and 100rds of 45ACP. Then we can help you get into a MG! Not all of them are $30K. Some MGs start under $5K.

22LR MGs can be had much cheaper than a converted Thompson. My M11 is converted for about 1/6th the price of just this Thompson!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom