• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • R81

Jun 30, 2006
    I would like to find a 9mm target load for IDPA Bug Division. I'm shooting an M&P Shield. The minimum power factor for Bug is 95,000. I would like to find a 9mm load with a 100-105 power factor. Should I use lighter or heavier bullets? I have 115 and 124 grain bullets. Faster or slower powder? I have Titegroup and Win 231 powders. Thanks for any advice.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Lower power loads typically utilize faster powders for more efficient burn and bullet obturation.

Loaded to the same power factor, heavier bullets actually yield a softer percieved recoil impulse. One can go too soft in a loading which I have experienced as counter productive. Additionally, the heavier bullets should yield more reliable cycling. I’d run 124’s around 850 fps (105 pf), then spring the pistol properly. 115’s at 850 will yield a 97 pf. I ran some 124 grain LRN bullets using Bullseye a couple years back. It reliably cycled my full size M&P Pro9. I never chrono’d them but the groups printed noticably higher on target than factory 115 grain ball, indicating both bullet weight and lower velocity were at work.

BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    keep in mind that your shield is sprung to handle defensive loads so dialing the PF down to around 100 may induce some failures. might need to get a lighter recoil spring.

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    keep in mind that your shield is sprung to handle defensive loads so dialing the PF down to around 100 may induce some failures. might need to get a lighter recoil spring.

Develop a load that meets the power factor and is accurate, then find the recoil spring that makes that load cycle the gun.

OEH

Nov 18, 2010
    29B
    I haven't worked up a BUG load using titegroup or 231 but 3.5 grains of Bullseye and a 124g berry's rn gives me a pf of 100 and soft recoil. Just tried 3.5g of sport pistol w/same bullet and got pf of 104 and very soft recoil from a g26.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rifleman

Latest threads

Top Bottom