• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • R81

Jun 30, 2006
    A friend has this bayonet which she knows nothing about. It is not marked. Can anyone ID it? Any idea on value? Thanks.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Looks French, like one from a M1892 Berthier or older Chassepot. Not exactly like either from what I can tell, though.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Probably Japanese, does it have any of these markings on it?:

Attachments

• IMG_7576.jpg
      IMG_7576.jpg
      75.7 KB · Views: 244

KH195

Ultimate Member
    Jan 10, 2013
    Virginia
    Yep Japanese Type 30 bayonet for the Type 38/99 rifles. There is a piece of the US scabbard that looks to have detached and is stuck around the blade near the hilt. Underneath you will find one of the manufacturer marks from the pic Alpahbrew posted.

Edit: beat me by one minute ohen cepel!

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    i think its worth a bit more that $50.
    but you gotta toss the scabbard.

R81

Jun 30, 2006
    Thanks for the information, Gentlemen.
    I'll have my friend check for markings.
    Not sure if she is interested in selling, but I'll check.

KH195

Ultimate Member
    Jan 10, 2013
    Virginia
    Here's what the correct scabbard looks like (I have a huge pile of these for my Arisakas, turns out I have one of the similar variation as your friend). Manufacturer mark will be on right side of the blade and there will be a serial number on the end cap of the handle.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      74.9 KB · Views: 234

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    I think part of the scabbard is stuck to the blade and hiding the markings.

Early Japanese bayonet as others have said.

Ah! That part of the scabbard stuck to the bayonet was really confusing me!!! None of the Japanese bayonets in my book had that. DUH!!

dad4

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2013
    Cecil County
    Agree, type 30 Japanese bayonet. With curled quilion puts it pre 1937. Would fit type 30 and 99 rifles aND has improper scabbard. If not sharpened would be considered a trainer bayonet. Value = $60 / $100.

R81

Jun 30, 2006
    It has the two symbols shown in #2 in the book: "unknown private company under Kokura Aresenal supervision." Serial number is 90277. Is this a rare or common
    variation? Thanks.

KH195

Ultimate Member
    Jan 10, 2013
    Virginia
    It has the two symbols shown in #2 in the book: "unknown private company under Kokura Aresenal supervision." Serial number is 90277. Is this a rare or common
    variation? Thanks.

Fairly common manufacturer/variation as far as T30s go, believed to be Hikari Seiki Seisakusho Arsenal under supervision of Kokura, or often referred to by collectors as "Kokura hourglass" markings. They produced both bright and blued bladed variations totaling around six series consisting of 100k bayonets per series. The Type 30s that bring the big money are the very late war "pole" bayonets, shortened paratrooper variations, "Osaka", "naval specials", etc. and several others.

R81

Jun 30, 2006
    Thanks, KH195. I appreciate your help and expertise. Thanks to others who responded, also.
    The owner wants to sell the bayonet, so this is a heads up to anyone who might be interested. I'll list it tomorrow evening between 7pm and 8pm.
    Asking price: $100 or best offer. You would have to pick it up at my house in Towson.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    The scabbard is worth a good deal too. 16" US scabbards are not easy to find....They just don't belong together....

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom