• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • R81

Jun 30, 2006
    What are your thoughts about brass bead or gold bead front sights on a handgun? Under what circumstances do they work best? Has the popularity of
    fiber optic sights made them mostly obsolete? Thanks for any thoughts or opinions.

What are your thoughts about brass bead or gold bead front sights on a handgun? Under what circumstances do they work best? Has the popularity of
    fiber optic sights made them mostly obsolete? Thanks for any thoughts or opinions.

Gold bead for me if I decide to wear gold grill teeth while pimping on the corner. Actually, I'm full o' sheeeeet, and will be going to google gold/brass beading after I hit "submit reply"

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    They are great in most daylight conditions, brighter than any color painted dot. They aren't as bright as a good FO sight, but you don't have to replace broken rods all the time either.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Good/great if the light is striking them (IE Behind the gun/you*). Not as good as a pure fiber optic (properly installed) for SD/carry they'd best be served with a cheek indexed flashlight vs the FBI technique or a WML/Graham method.
    Gold/brass beads had there heyday in the 1930's-90's once the tritium sights began mass production and inclusion on factory firearms they where obsolete.
    I'm very interested in the Truglo TFX Pros combo FO/Tritium sight and am waiting to hear back from the manufacturer about a question.

*unless you make a habit of muzzling yourself

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    see alucard's post.

I have used both fiber optic and brass bead. Fiber optic provides a much better sight but will break. Brass/gold bead will be illuminated only on the lit side with lateral light source. Young eyes will typically discern that unlit side.

Given my druthers for enhanced sights, in order of preference, tritium with dot enhancement, 3 painted dots, brass, fiber optic (because they WILL break). Above all, I prefer black sights.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom